Discuss Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electricalserv

I love this little statement from Napit and this is going to ruffle a few feathers.

For those choosing the qualification route, the Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings should be available from the 1st January 2012 as the minimum qualification level for Qualified Supervisors responsible for electrical work carried out in domestic properties which comes under Part P of the Building Regulations (for England and Wales).

My bold!!!!

NVQ3 - for domestic premises will be available from 2012.

Looks like the City & Guilds NVQ3 now has a little sister.

Does anybody actually believe that any of the schemes (who all rely on registering members for their finances)that they would uphold any standard that would curtail their numbers, with the consequence their justification for existence would be less evident

It would be like a condemned man checking his noose was tight enough

It will change nothing,it all needs scrapping

Thats why they are bringing in this NVQ3 - Domestics. Afterall why should somebody who does domestic work and only requires to be with a scheme because of this have to sit an NVQ3 that requires use of tray and basket work.

I think this is a great idea from the schemes. You do domestic work you only need a domestic NVQ3. Excellent!

I know I keep saying this but we should be making the system simple but yet again the tail(s) are wagging the dog ie NIECE Select Napit ECA are doing a jobsworth and making a ham of it

I think this is a great idea from the schemes. You do domestic work you only need a domestic NVQ3. Excellent!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it is a good idea if it ensures that new QS have a better level of competency than the current requirements & if this qualification helps towards that, then great

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it is a good idea if it ensures that new QS have a better level of competency than the current requirements & if this qualification helps towards that, then great

I'm not being sarcastic. Its a great idea.

If you are part of a scheme that only exists because of PART P then they have no right to only allow people in that posess a qualification (nvq3) that goes well off the domestic sector with the likes of motors, baskets and tray!

Last edited by a moderator:

It would be nice to think it is the case , but i am afraid i am very cynical when it comes to some of our governing body's and how we seem to be just cash cows !
I personally know of one napit member that went on their crash course for the 17th and 2391 that both myself and my other director would have put money on him failing like he did on his independent pat testing coarse !?
He obviously passed but did the 2391 before his 17th , now i all ways thought you needed to be up to date with the rest before being allowed to sit the 2391 ?

Its all swings and roundabouts atm.

Personally if the domestic NVQ3 comes in Il be a happy bunny. Yes you must be in the industry still and yes it should be done over a year.

The reason why this works is the fact that the domestic sector can now move away from the commercial and Industrial and have its own approved domestic electricians.

If I remember rightly the JIB are bringing out doemstic electricians cards? Maybe this qual is the one thats been set up. Fingers crossed!

If I am right in what I see/read from the passage. This can only improve the domestic sector. I think the Level 3 tech cert may also be needed to gain this qual and rightly so. It will (for a while) keep the fast track lads out. (Those that have not already slipped under the radar already, that is). No doubt they will find a loop hole again.

If the assessors governing the new qual do their job right the domestic industry will only go upwards in regards to competency!

The heavy commercial & Industrial sector is well governed to be fair.

another load of rubbish a version of the nvq3 will be introduced which will be a two week crash course and cost about a ÂŁ1000 making them more money whilst still diluting the trade.

another load of rubbish a version of the nvq3 will be introduced which will be a two week crash course and cost about a ÂŁ1000 making them more money whilst still diluting the trade.

Hold up EZZ. We can only wait & see.

If its a proper NVQ3 done over a year with a portfolio, we can't complain. I agree to do it you will need the tech cert (theory) to go with it.

Its exactly what the domestic industry has been crying out for. Il say it again and again. As domestic sparks we need to be approved in our area. Tray and basket work doesn't fall under our description aswell as many other things on the current NVQ3. Get an NVQ3 that focuses directly on our sector and everybody is happy!

Its all swings and roundabouts atm.

Personally if the domestic NVQ3 comes in Il be a happy bunny. Yes you must be in the industry still and yes it should be done over a year.

The reason why this works is the fact that the domestic sector can now move away from the commercial and Industrial and have its own approved domestic electricians.

If I remember rightly the JIB are bringing out doemstic electricians cards? Maybe this qual is the one thats been set up. Fingers crossed!

Here we go, .....It's not going to be long, before you need to be certified for every area within the electrical industry!!! Your dividing yourselves, Do you really think that's a good idea, ...you don't think that you'll be cutting your own throats in the process?? No-one heard of the old saying ''Divide & Rule??

Why not set a higher minimum qualification and training standard for ALL electricians??

Here we go, .....It's not going to be long, before you need to be certified for every area within the electrical industry!!! Your dividing yourselves, Do you really think that's a good idea, ...you don't think that you'll be cutting your own throats in the process?? No-one heard of the old saying ''Divide & Rule??

Why not set a higher minimum qualification and training standard for ALL electricians??

This is it though E54. If you don't require Tray, Basket work etc etc. Why should you have to do a qualification that encorporates that to be a member of a PART P scheme? Part P is domestic only, therefore you should only be assessed on domestic work!

This is it though E54. If you don't require Tray, Basket work etc etc. Why should you have to do a qualification that encorporates that to be a member of a PART P scheme? Part P is domestic only, therefore you should only be assessed on domestic work!

Basically because as i stated many times before, an Electrician should be able to work across the industry at a basic level, the fact that you or anyone else is presently working in the domestic sector is neither here nor there. Dividing up the industry, will play straight into the employers open arms, and you will all pay for it. Once you divide, i can tell you, ....it will be impossible to reverse!!!

In a nutshell, ...the present training given to electricians is directly aimed at the domestic sector from what i can see. The industry seems to have done, and doing nothing to rectify the matter either. There should be a minimum standard for ALL electricians not just the domestic installer. That title is just a made up meaningless title, created by others for their monetary benifit, to the detriment of the industry as a whole, not least Electricians themselves.

Your letting these providers tear the industry apart with all these buckshee qualifications. There should be one and only one, institute, that sets and assesses qualifications. That's the only way everyone sitting such qualification gets a fair grade and the industry a standard level of proficiency.... end of rant!! lol!!

Reply to Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net