Discuss Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ken I think people are over reacting here. If the JIB are on board aswell then it will be them and only them who drop the wages and form a 2 tier! Which I doubt. If anything they will put it the same as JIB wages

then you have the jib lads kicking off,saying im a proper spark he's a diet spark,and wait till the agencys get involved,diet spark rates for all..

Ken I think people are over reacting here. If the JIB are on board aswell then it will be them and only them who drop the wages and form a 2 tier! Which I doubt. If anything they will put it the same as JIB wages

Like I said mate, I don't like seeing the industry split, BUT I am in favour of anything that will drive up standards and get some bloody coin back onto our dinner tables. And if THIS IS that step then we shall have to wait and see. It has certainly produced one of the best debates that I've seen on this forum lately.

then you have the jib lads kicking off,saying im a proper spark he's a diet spark,and wait till the agencys get involved,diet spark rates for all..

But why would he be a diet spark because he works on domestic? Again its people like you with that comment causing a divide. We're all spark we work in different sectors and thats that.

I was told a story the other day about a commercial spark. He was told to clip cables direct wall through mortar. He wasted half the packet of clips. Not used to working with clipped direct!

But why would he be a diet spark because he works on domestic? Again its people like you with that comment causing a divide. We're all spark we work in different sectors and thats that.

I was told a story the other day about a commercial spark. He was told to clip cables direct wall through mortar. He wasted half the packet of clips. Not used to working with clipped direct!

because thats all he will be qualified to do,like previous post a spark should be able to turn his hand to all electrical work from domestic to marine to controls,industrial and even alarms,alarms are the easy bit tho..:shocked3:

Steady on fella, I think that alarm man is saying HOW the qualification will be perceived, NOT what he personally thinks.
Lets not get this brilliant debate closed boys.

and how would we attack these people, how will we get are way engineer 54, your a man with expierience help us, be our guide to sucess and rule out these croney money grabbing schemes, what do we need to do and when do we need to do it..

or you could all work for cash in hand ... or put prices up to go through books and pay these schemes

You need to come together via an association to get that ''Nation Register of Electricians'' Which is already in existence. I've seen it linked on the forum a couple of times. Unfortunately, i can't find where, or remember who posted it (old age i'm afraid..lol!!) But that to my mind, would be the first step, in taking the industry in the right direction...

These scheme providers are basically parasites that are feeding off the backs of working electricians, that give nothing to little in return, for the fee's they charge you. The only time they do any form of policing, is to protect themselves and their Logo, never to protect the industry against the incompetency of there members. Don't think they even support their members when in dispute with a client....

aint easy , just earn your bucks watever way and spend on the one you love and if you dont love anyone and go toamsterdam every week, lifes to short if you smoke and you all smoke if you follow the iet

All this is making me sad, Apprentiships, time served Apprentiships, college on day release for three years. (QUALIFIED) ELECRICIAN at the end, thats the way to go.
If you want to proggress further so be it BUT no one and I mean NO ONE should be able to call himself qualified in such a lethal industry as ours unless what Ive just said can become the norm again.
Yes times and regs have changed and update courses can take care of that.
But if all followed the old ways we can bring some respect back into what was once a respected trade.

And Engineer54 Your comments are spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is going to happen nvq3 for domestic, surley they would remove domestic installs for 2356 or whatever it turns into ? , then by doing that a commercial spark is unqualified to work domestic ?, but there's little a commercial spark would find difficult on domestic, that not meant as an insult to anyone.
I'm doing my 2356 now and its half commercial half domestic - this just sounds like another qualification to take priced at £1000, there should be a qualification available awarded to people who can dicpher the city&guilds qualifications route.

Alex the NVQ3 City & Guilds will stay the same. it wiull be a seperate qualification for domestic only.

City & Guilds will keep the original one that covers all sectors

think we need to riot as a whole, only soloution, even poxy teachers stand up for themelves but they do a hard job and are job aint easy

All this is making me sad, Apprentiships, time served Apprentiships, college on day release for three years. (QUALIFIED) ELECRICIAN at the end, thats the way to go.
If you want to proggress further so be it BUT no one and I mean NO ONE should be able to call himself qualified in such a lethal industry as ours unless what Ive just said can become the norm again.
Yes times and regs have changed and update courses can take care of that.
But if all followed the old ways we can bring some respect back into what was once a respected trade.

And Engineer54 Your comments are spot on.
I tried to get an apprenticeship when I was at college (2000/2001) No one would take me on as I was too old (31). I taught myself, couldn't finish college with no-one to compile my dossier. I have 2391 and a gold JIB card, work a lot on High Speed Routes, (Highways) and Transmission Sites (Digital TV and Radio transmitter installation) and must be doing something right as our client requests me to lead work teams. Can I call myself an electrician?

Reply to Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net