Discuss Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alex the NVQ3 City & Guilds will stay the same. it wiull be a seperate qualification for domestic only.

City & Guilds will keep the original one that covers all sectors

Ands that's the whole point of this debate!! ...There is, and should not be any classification or difference between electricians. That's a slippery road you won't ever recover from...

Ands that's the whole point of this debate!! ...There is, and should not be any classification or difference between electricians. That's a slippery road you won't ever recover from...

Listen some JIB guys always say domestic sparks aren't electricians the industry needs tightening up blah blah blah. Industry failing us.

Well this is your industry tightening up the domestic sector. (the one effected by 5 day wonders) What do you want them to do? They've sat up and acted and the JIB are on the domestic scene now!!!

They are setting up a qualification to prove your competency in domestic installation!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Think i've stated what needs to be done!! ...A minimum standard for ALL electricians, if that's an NVQ3 or it's equivalent, ...so be it!! It will still affect your 5 day wonders as you put it... Just stop this division lark, because down the road some, it will bite you, and you can take that to the bank!! But it'll be too late then...

Listen some JIB guys always say domestic sparks aren't electricians the industry needs tightening up blah blah blah. Industry failing us.

Well this is your industry tightening up the domestic sector. (the one effected by 5 day wonders) What do you want them to do? They've sat up and acted and the JIB are on the domestic scene now!!!

They are setting up a qualification to prove your competency in domestic installation!!

i worked with jib sparks when i was a yougin,they could be doing a new build housing estate one day,production lines the next,ships the day after,being pigeon holed in one area is no good for any spark,its all sparky work

Alex the NVQ3 City & Guilds will stay the same. it wiull be a seperate qualification for domestic only.

City & Guilds will keep the original one that covers all sectors

You can never tell were c&g are involved!!!!!, also I bet the last pound in my pocket a lower tech cert is to follow a domestic NVQ3 - if you think about it a lot of 2330 is 3phase and motors so they could get rid of that - then condense the h&s down so applicable to domestic, before you know it the 'bodies' will be offering a three week intensive tech cert for yep £1000..... If I was one of the 'bodies' thats what i'd be doing.

AM you can't look past that alot of sparks do 1 sector and thats it. I was always told by my tutors. Find ONE that you're good at and stick at it.

Its ok being a jack of all sectors and a master of none.

You can never tell were c&g are involved!!!!!, also I bet the last pound in my pocket a lower tech cert is to follow a domestic NVQ3 - if you think about it a lot of 2330 is 3phase and motors so they could get rid of that - then condense the h&s down so applicable to domestic, before you know it the 'bodies' will be offering a three week intensive tech cert for yep £1000..... If I was one of the 'bodies' thats what i'd be doing.

Probably right mate. The JIB won't accept it though. I really can't believe some users are objecting the idea after the crap we've had to put up with from the domestic installers 5 day wonders. This is a step in the right direction and excellent news for the qualified experienced domestic electricians with tech certs 17th edition & 2391 but without an NVQ3. Its exactly what I 've been after!

id call it experience,being called a domestic sounds like a cook/housekeeper..a master domestic spark,i'll have to look that one up..

AM like it or not the industry has set a standard for domestic sparks that hopefully will keep 5 day wonders out and get better rates for FULLY QUALIFIED ASSESSED ELECTRICIANS working in the domestic sector!

reading through the jib draft it appears the same hoops will need to be jumped through to gain the domestic nvq. and there are pros and cons on both sides, the Electrical Trainee will be a thing of the past and so driving up standards also there are many firms who only work domestic so their apprentices cannot complete a jib approved as they dont cover the required work but the new qual will allow them the apprentiship in there sector.

the bad it divides the industry into them and us, chances are it will be used to class the Electrical Trainee as qualified in the same ammount of time.

the only real good point is that it has been noted that somethings need to be changed unfortunately like everything else in this country it will be messed up.

Further,

.....who gives a monkeys what other sparks say, be they JIB or whatever!! I can remember in my day some electricians knocking ''house bashers'', ... did it affect those that were working on the massive house building of that time, ...No of course not!!

The thing is, that your no doing anyone any favors by this singling out one particular sector of our industry, and giving it it's own qualification. That Qualification is going to be useless for the rest of the industry, it's just going to end up, yet another meaningless qualification to hold.....

I tried to get an apprenticeship when I was at college (2000/2001) No one would take me on as I was too old (31). I taught myself, couldn't finish college with no-one to compile my dossier. I have 2391 and a gold JIB card, work a lot on High Speed Routes, (Highways) and Transmission Sites (Digital TV and Radio transmitter installation) and must be doing something right as our client requests me to lead work teams. Can I call myself an electrician?

And thats my whole point.
You SHOULD have been able to cover an apprentiship, but through no fault of your own you couldn't. Now your wide open to the money grabbers and scheme providers whims.

AS an example I am 58 years old, started my apprentiship in 1970 have a jib gold approved electrician card, a platinum electrical site managers card 236 part 1 and 2, 2391 leval 3 in inspection and testing, leval 3 16th and 17th editions along with ECS health and safety assesments. I finished my apprentiship in 1974. and I have been a qualified supervisor for over 10 years. There was no NVQ 3 in 1974, so I dont have one, I have been a qualified electrician since 1974 thats a long time commercial industrial domestic its all there. But I dont and would have had no reason to have an NVQ 3 so here I am 2011 58 years old without an NVQ3 suddenly I'm not qualified or competant, sorry but the whole thing is a money spinning farce. Yes get rid of the cowboys but now you and I are wide open to these money grabbers holding us to ransom and saying unless you pay us and cover this course, we wont accept your a qualified electrician. Its a joke.
We work hard over the years covering all kinds of courses and exams, and then a bunch of ****s sit around a table and suddenly decide that all our hard work means jack sh#t. its not on. Off soapbox with apoligies for ranting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further,

.....who gives a monkeys what other sparks say, be they JIB or whatever!! I can remember in my day some electricians knocking ''house bashers'', ... did it affect those that were working on the massive house building of that time, ...No of course not!!

The thing is, that your no doing anyone any favors by this singling out one particular sector of our industry, and giving it it's own qualification. That Qualification is going to be useless for the rest of the industry, it's just going to end up, yet another meaningless qualification to hold.....

Not for lads wanting to be a competent domestic installer

You SHOULD have been able to cover an apprentiship, but through no fault of your own you couldn't. Now your wide open to the money grabbers and scheme providers whims.

AS an example I am 58 years old, started my apprentiship in 1970 have a jib gold approved electrician card, a platinum electrical site managers card 236 part 1 and 2, 2391 leval 3 in inspection and testing, leval 3 16th and 17th editions along with ECS health and safety assesments. I finished my apprentiship in 1974. and I have been a qualified supervisor for over 10 years. There was no NVQ 3 in 1974, so I dont have one, I have been a qualified electrician since 1974 thats a long time commercial industrial domestic its all there. But I dont and would have had no reason to have an NVQ 3 so here I am 2011 58 years old without an NVQ3 suddenly I'm not qualified or competant, sorry but the whole thing is a money spinning farce. Yes get rid of the cowboys but now you and I are wide open to these money grabbers holding us to ransom and saying unless you pay us and cover this course, we wont accept your a qualified electrician. Its a joke.

And leval 0 in spelling lol oj E54. You just made me laugh listing all thyem high quals with that spelling!

Ahh wheres the banter on this forum!!! I post a thread on the Haye fight and it gets the odd reply. You post anything non electrical...The chit chat area and nobody wants to know. You try for some banter and everyone is serious. Lighten up everyone!

It's a sad fact money rules, part p generates millions for the bodies involved and I dont think for one min there going to let that go!!!, be intrested to see how many cowboy sparks were prosecuted last year for not being registered. look at myhammer theres decoraters pricing electrical work up!!!, domestic nvq or not there will always be cowboys and punters who hire them - its not just about being in the schemes its about the gov enforcing the law which there not prepared to do imo.

Reply to Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net