Discuss Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

"Its ok being a jack of all sectors and a master of none."

Personally I dont know one industrial/commercial spark that cant take on a rewire and make a good job of it. What happens if the tables are turned?

When I went to college they taught you the basics first ie. how to wire a house. Then moved on to controls and such like.
The parasites have turned the 'domestic installer' into a trade so they can make money, to me its just a part qualified sparks. I'm not try to get the rise, just how I see it having worked with a "domestic installer" who thought he was gods gift, he soon found otherwise.
Engineer 54 is bang on the money. The electrical industry has gone to the dogs and it cant be reversed, so you just have to go with the flow and use the system as best you can.
Should have been a joiner!!!!

Sorry bud, I become Dyslexic when I'm mad, plus i forgot to use spell check, and dont say you spelt thyem like that on purpose cus we all know your lying lol.

No thyem was spelt like that because my slight of hand wasn't good enough to move from t -h in a quick manner as y lies between them!!!

Domestic electrical installation cant be regulated successfully,thats the bottom line

Its useles having argument about this sector of an electricians trade
It is and was a free for all to whoever thinks they can do it,all singiung all dancing sparks,domestic installers.it alters nothing,

part p changed nothing and changed part p will also change nothing
It was never about safety and time has shown that to be true

It is and has been a working tax on the legitamate spark and thats all it can ever be
At least it has been very successfull in transporting money out of our pockets to any vested interested parties,nothing more, nothing less

Not for lads wanting to be a competent domestic installer

There is no such animal, that term has been fabricated by the scheme providers and others for there own money spinning purposes. You are an Electrician, ...Full Stop!!!

What these 5 day wonders maybe called, ....could possibly well be called ''domestic installers'' After all they are the ones the scam providers have gone out of there way to facilitate there numbers, by giving them some official recognition and creedence!!!

I've just done a 17th course and got the impression if you didn't know any of this stuff before u got in that classroom you shouldnt even b sparking.basic stuff reallyThe problem now is that u have a whole industry piggybacked onto ours that has got to get it's money from somewhere.Ie all of usNeed more revenue? Change the goal postsI'm all for the raising of standards throughout the trade thoughI've worked with commercial sparks who I would not trust to wire a plugI've also worked with guys who mainly did domestic, but were vastly experienced in all aspects of the trade who left full time commercial boys in the dustThe point being, a broad range of experience is transferrable to other sectors of the trade let's not try to limit that eh?

Well i think we could be going round in circles forever.

Until the 'official' word comes from the powers that be, it will all just be speculation.

And thats my whole point.
You SHOULD have been able to cover an apprentiship, but through no fault of your own you couldn't. Now your wide open to the money grabbers and scheme providers whims.

AS an example I am 58 years old, started my apprentiship in 1970 have a jib gold approved electrician card, a platinum electrical site managers card 236 part 1 and 2, 2391 leval 3 in inspection and testing, leval 3 16th and 17th editions along with ECS health and safety assesments. I finished my apprentiship in 1974. and I have been a qualified supervisor for over 10 years. There was no NVQ 3 in 1974, so I dont have one, I have been a qualified electrician since 1974 thats a long time commercial industrial domestic its all there. But I dont and would have had no reason to have an NVQ 3 so here I am 2011 58 years old without an NVQ3 suddenly I'm not qualified or competant, sorry but the whole thing is a money spinning farce. Yes get rid of the cowboys but now you and I are wide open to these money grabbers holding us to ransom and saying unless you pay us and cover this course, we wont accept your a qualified electrician. Its a joke.
We work hard over the years covering all kinds of courses and exams, and then a bunch of ****s sit around a table and suddenly decide that all our hard work means jack sh#t. its not on. Off soapbox with apoligies for ranting.

Bravo:hurray:
Thats whats wrong with the industry in one rant.
Read that all you "sparks" that have come into the trade by means other than the apprenticed route and you can see why the old boys get cheesed off.
Tell me I cant work on a house because I'm not qualified:svengo:, take a hike.

would you be a domestic joiner or commercial... first fix or second fix.. site or bench ???? imo if you cant do all your not a joiner !!!... ... just a little joke lads..
to lighten the mood !! :party3:

would you be a domestic joiner or commercial... first fix or second fix.. site or bench ???? imo if you cant do all your not a joiner !!!

Correct ask my 80 yr old dad

joking aside... that`s sort of my point... years ago a joiner would be able to turn his hand to all aspects from bench, to site to roofing to shop-fitting etc.. all these are now individualize trades.. it`s just unfortunately a sign of the times, and i can`t ever see it going back to " the good old days".
i do hope that soon the powers that be licensed the electrical trade.. ( and not at the cost of the working spark ) whether apprentice trained or any other route. ( a good spark is a good spark.. fact).
this is a fantastic forum but recently just turning into a --- for tat troll fest.
thats my view... one last beer then bed !!

Have any of you considered becoming an NVQ assessor? good money I think, and the ability to NOT certify the incompetant. What more could you ask for?
I hold NVQ3, 2391, 2382 and 25+years experience. The NVQ can be used as a weapon to defend our trade, please use it as such. I have helped over 20 lads through their NVQ3, the wasters and incompetant have fallen by the wayside, their fault not mine.
As for the experienced sparky, the NVQ will cost you, you will have to put in a few bits of paperwork, you will have to be assessed, shouldn't be a drama. Once the fools are weeded out you may even see more work due to fewer "sparkies" being around.

Have any of you considered becoming an NVQ assessor? good money I think, and the ability to NOT certify the incompetant. What more could you ask for?
I hold NVQ3, 2391, 2382 and 25+years experience. The NVQ can be used as a weapon to defend our trade, please use it as such. I have helped over 20 lads through their NVQ3, the wasters and incompetant have fallen by the wayside, their fault not mine.
As for the experienced sparky, the NVQ will cost you, you will have to put in a few bits of paperwork, you will have to be assessed, shouldn't be a drama. Once the fools are weeded out you may even see more work due to fewer "sparkies" being around.

Perhaps in my twilight years when I am no good for the physical side of things. At the moment I am 30 so I'll do a bit more of the hard stuff I think and if I am still around much later then yes why not. And as a matter of fact many good sparks have moved onto education and scheme provider inspector positions to sign up (or reject?!) applicants. Well that's where the money is for sure!

I'm just going to paint a picture of what this segregated domestic only nvq will entail:- Please send in a picture of...... a 1 way and a two way lighting circuit, a ring final using 2.5, a radial socket circuit using 4mm, a cooker circuit, shower circuit, a c/u change incorporating the use of rcds, an extractor fan, an outside light or socket.. With your photos please enclose £1000+ vat. It's another way to get more money out of people getting into the trade. Do we have to take it if we already have tech quals? Probably. Who on here thinks that a "domestic nvq installer" will be paid the same wage as a time served spark with level 3 cert, not a chance, this will open up the flood gates for new domestic electricians and supply and demand springs to mind. Anyway let's just wait 6 months or so until er start getting questions on her like "can anyone give me a week of experience so I can complete my nvq Dom installer cert, I'll pay you!". Also look at the timing of this news, 6 months to get the new tech books written, printed and in the shops for Xmas with the new regs amendments. I my eyes they are putting out a small fire with an ocean of water. Let's see what happens by this time next year.

I know I keep ranting but please be patient with this old boy whilst I rant a little more.
If a young lad decides to come into the trade, and follows a set recognised standard to follow and acheive his goal of becoming a qualified electrician, and thats exactly what I and others did 42 years ago. Then who or what has the right 40 years down the road to say your not qualified any more.
Ok its acceptable to say you might not be up to speed with current regualations, because technology is and will always be changing. The money grabbers have taken care of that with 16th and 17th edition upgrades. I accept that. My point is that there should as many years ago, be a recognised proggression to becoming a qualified electrician once you are, YOU ARE, end off. You have worked and studied hard to pass your exams, you now deserve to be deemed qualified, and now your qualified you can follow a life long path of learning and experiancing the many diverse routes you can and will follow along your life as a qualified electrician. That may well mean you are better at some things than others, depending on what road you take. You might become a first class domestic sparks, you might become a maintenance electrician and be super quick at fault finding and getting gear up and running quickly, you might become an industrial installation sparks and be sh#t hot with your tube and tray work. (Blimey look at Steve's sets there all identical the guys mustard) Does not matter though cus once qualified your qualified and no money grabbing **** should ever be allowed to insult any of us by changing that. End of rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am slightly confused by this topic and the concern it is causing. Is it not a good idea to raise the qualifications required for the domestic installer? Does domestic include flats or mass living areas, swimming pools etc? What you would have is a guy with domestic electrical qualifications that are easily transferrable to other sectors.
I am curious as I have a mate who's lad is completing a similar NVQ relating to the built envoronment and seeing the log book he has demonstrates their are a lot of elements to be completed. Most on here should not be concerned as we have five months to ensure we do not require this qualification to become a QS. Just faxed my application of to NAPIT!!!!!!!!

I know I keep ranting but please be patient with this old boy whilst I rant a little more.
If a young lad decides to come into the trade, and follows a set recognised standard to follow and acheive his goal of becoming a qualified electrician, and thats exactly what I and others did 42 years ago. Then who or what has the right 40 years down the road to say your not qualified any more.
Ok its acceptable to say you might not be up to speed with current regualations, because technology is and will always be changing. The money grabbers have taken care of that with 16th and 17th edition upgrades. I accept that. My point is that there should as many years ago, be a recognised proggression to becoming a qualified electrician once you are, YOU ARE, end off. You have worked and studied hard to pass your exams, you now deserve to be deemed qualified, and now your qualified you can follow a life long path of learning and experiancing the many diverse routes you can and will follow along your life as a qualified electrician. That may well mean you are better at some things than others, depending on what road you take. You might become a first class domestic sparks, you might become a maintenance electrician and be super quick at fault finding and getting gear up and running quickly, you might become an industrial installation sparks and be sh#t hot with your tube and tray work. (Blimey look at Steve's sets there all identical the guys mustard) Does not matter though cus once qualified your qualified and no money grabbing **** should ever be allowed to insult any of us by changing that. End of rant.

That don't sound too much like a rant, more the truth.

I am slightly confused by this topic and the concern it is causing. Is it not a good idea to raise the qualifications required for the domestic installer? Does domestic include flats or mass living areas, swimming pools etc? What you would have is a guy with domestic electrical qualifications that are easily transferrable to other sectors.
I am curious as I have a mate who's lad is completing a similar NVQ relating to the built envoronment and seeing the log book he has demonstrates their are a lot of elements to be completed. Most on here should not be concerned as we have five months to ensure we do not require this qualification to become a QS. Just faxed my application of to NAPIT!!!!!!!!

Mate, NO ONE is disputing that the domestic sector needs tightening up - and for that the powers-that-be should be congratulated for getting off of their lazy a**** and getting the ball rolling. But I believe that most of us on here are just too cynical to believe that 'anyone' (HM Govt, C&G, JIB, KGB or whoever) are doing this to help the little man. As I've stated earlier, I'm going to withold judgement until I see the actual qualification criterior.

Reply to Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net