Discuss Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think you can see what you are saying here, not in the bigger picture anyway. There is no need for any special qualification for domestic working absolutly NONE.

Alas, i don't think you've listened to anyone here, that have and has given very good reasons why there shouldn't be any special NVQ3 for domestic (or any other area). You have only listened to yourself, because it suits your aims. You can't see that there are qualifications out there now already, that would bring an end to the 5 day wonders as you put it. ...and that i feel is your main goal, ....That and getting an easier ''Approved'' status from the JIB!!!

This has got nothing to do with where the older Qualified sparks stand as far as QS status goes, this is all about your aims to segregate Domestic from the rest of the electrical industry, just a crazy idea all round!!!

Its not my idea, I don't make the rules and I haven't printed the articles. Its the industry. People at the top above you & me and its their decision!

It won't be an easier approved card it will be an approved card for a domestic electrician. Thats all I need.

This has got nothing to do with where the older Qualified sparks stand as far as QS status goes, this is all about your aims to segregate Domestic from the rest of the electrical industry, just a crazy idea all round!!!

Everybody E54 thinks the whole press release was because of MY aims and somehow I have infiltrated the powers that be. Shocking!

Its bloody segregated as it is. Its called PART P no scheme or no Council you can't do work in dwellings.

This is tightening the quals to be allowed to do so!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people ought to utilise their time in a more productive manner, like going out and finding work or considering ways to further advance their business.

Also, could someone bring me up to date please? I was under the impression that these fast track Domestic Installers were referred to as 5 week wonders but it seems on reading some comments here that it's now a 5 day wonder?

Feel free to refer to me as a 5 minute wonder if you wish ;) Hopefully it'll get some of you off. I on the other hand will continue to consider ways of progressing up the big long ladder whilst some of you moan and groan about the influx of competition.

15 pages and nearly 12 hours of blah blah blah lol I thought Electricians were bloody intelligent members of society... that was until I read a number of threads/posts on here.

I'm sure if some of the old skool sparks who are no longer with us today could see what this trade was coming to they would be turning in their grave!

This is it though E54. If you don't require Tray, Basket work etc etc. Why should you have to do a qualification that encorporates that to be a member of a PART P scheme? Part P is domestic only, therefore you should only be assessed on domestic work!

Every trained spark should beable to do Tray,Basket and Condiut work as they are part of the basics when learning.
And by just doing an NVQ or whatever they call them just for the domestic installer would stop anyonly domestic trained spark progressing on to the good stuff doing industrial and commercial work.

It's like saying D/I can't make off a large SWA cable because he's only trained upto say making 25mm off or he can't install a switch greater then 100amp because he's only trained to do upto 100amp not 250-300 plus switches.

Well not quite at the turning in my grave stage yet BUT. If some bloke becomes a QS with a scheme provider after covering a 5 week 5 day or 5 minute course, then yes its enough for any fully trained up spark to turn in the proverbial. But then thats exactly what the scheme providers are trying to stamp out with this NVQ3 thing. Fair play for anyone proggressing up the big long ladder, and when you get there you deserve recognition.
In the meantime yours is making the tea, thats how I remember it when I was 5 months in, and rightly so cus with five months under my belt, I knew Jack Sh#t.
We all learn by our mistakes, maybe the powers to be are indeed back tracking because they have seen the error of there ways and are trying to do something about it. Good for them.

Every trained spark should beable to do Tray,Basket and Condiut work as they are part of the basics when learning.
And by just doing an NVQ or whatever they call them just for the domestic installer would stop anyonly domestic trained spark progressing on to the good stuff doing industrial and commercial work.

It's like saying D/I can't make off a large SWA cable because he's only trained upto say making 25mm off or he can't install a switch greater then 100amp because he's only trained to do upto 100amp not 250-300 plus switches.

Your last comments are right. The new NVQ3 would limit the electricians qualification. They would not have a qualification you need to say you can do all of the above stuff. But as I've said again & again. Someone who chooses to do domestic work only only needs an NVQ3 in domestic work.

The option is still there to take the current NVQ3 which covers all scopes.Its still there

So where is everyones problem? This new qualification stops non-sparks from working on domestic premises at their own will. They can't become QS's and start up one man bands!

This is the reason why this qual has been introduced and the reason the commercial & industrial work has been taken away from it is because domestic electricians don't use most commercial and industrial methods!! Its just facts here!

An NVQ in domestic only wouldn't stop the fast trackers, before you know it training companies will be springing up all over the place catering for this new course and condensing it down to a few weeks or months with all the portfolios being staged and made up and If they specify the person has to be employed in the industry to get on the NVQ, whats preventing someone setting up an "electrical company" that just so happens to have a massive turn over of apprentices who pay the company a small fortune to learn. I'm not saying it's a bad thing it's just from my experience the NVQ is a bit of a mickey mouse qual, the amount of guys that ask me for my portfolio to copy is unbelievable! and the assessors basically spoon feed people just to get them past so they get there grants. This is of course my own personal opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,

There hasnt even been a proper finalised statement yet, and so ALL of this is pure speculation.

As it has now reached 6 pages and there is no real evidence of what will be i am closing this for now.

Im sure, once an announcement has been made then there will be other threads or we can reopen this one.

I thank you.

Reply to Your going to laugh lads!!!!!!! NVQ3 - Domestic!!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net