Discuss Zs reading does not meet current regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just though, could it be argued that the Zs you're interested in is that relating to the fuse in the FCU, which for a 13A BS1362 is 1.8ohms for a 0.4 second disconnection time..

Well I go to the bottom of our stairs. I got disagrees before, on saying the exact opposite of what GBDamo is saying and getting dumb for here.

Reading is 0.79 at the furthest point, like I said it’s the only socket on the circuit, and is about 10-15mtr run from its DB

Hi,

You say it's a radial & that it is the only socket on the circuit & that Zs is 0.79

Yes a 30mA RCBO max is 1667 ohms

Just out of interest what csa is used on the radial? because if it's in 2.5mm on a 32A RCBO then the OCPD is to high for the cable ie. highest is 27A on clipped direct for t&e.

ie. an A2 radial is 4mm on a 30/32 amp OCPD, Zs stated in BBB for type C is 0.68 ohms (4mm is what I'm assuming is used on your radial)

An A3 radial is in 2.5mm on a 20 amp OCPD, Zs stated in BBB for type C is 1.09 ohms
So a 20A type C RCBO Zs at 80% is 0.872 ohms

Last edited:
Well I go to the bottom of our stairs. I got disagrees before, on saying the exact opposite of what GBDamo is saying and getting dumb for here.
That's why I like this game, and this forum.

You have to think as often there are many answers that will work, some unnecessary solutions and sometimes it's fine as it is.

What about fault protection up to the spur.

Fair point, I had it in my head that spur origin was back to back, or side by side with the FCU in the same CSA cable as the original circuit. Then the new run to a DP isolator for the stair lift. In this I wouldn't be losing a great deal of sleep.

However it could equally be spurred, 10m cable run with FCU at the end, in which case you're right.

Any case it's on an RCBO so who cares, apparently.

In this case then due to bad design/change in Regs the high Zs is through no fault of yours.

In this case I would utilise the RCBO for fault protection although. This is not permitted in Bs7671 so will need to be recorded on the MWC as a deviation.

Changing it to a B Type may import nuisance tripping when the stairlift is starting.

Only a possibility but personally based on the info we have got I would leave it as a C Type and utilise the RCD for fault protection and note the deviation on the cert.

Reply to Zs reading does not meet current regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net