Discuss 2 core cable.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

When supplying an item of double insulated equipment, (in this case an extract fan). Is it acceptable to use a two core cable i.e. no cpc?

Or is the earth still required in order to protect the cable run?

If you are refering to a cable through a wall or in a wall no as there is a reg stating that a CPC should be taken to each point.

If you are referring to a "flying lead" out of a FCU then maybe you could do it but I wouldn't

I'm not UK based so I don't know the regs but I would say it was good practice to continue the cpc in the cable to give the RCD a chance at offering effective protection in the event of cable damage occurring.

If you are refering to a cable through a wall or in a wall no as there is a reg stating that a CPC should be taken to each point.

If you are referring to a "flying lead" out of a FCU then maybe you could do it but I wouldn't

I have never done it either, but the question came up at work, and I wondered if it was acceptable as the equipment is double insulated..

I don't suppose you know the Reg by any chance?

I'm not UK based so I don't know the regs but I would say it was good practice to continue the cpc in the cable to give the RCD a chance at offering effective protection in the event of cable damage occurring.

Sounds like sensible reasoning.

The back story is that one of our testers refused to pass an installation due to 2 core being used for the fans. He met with resistance and arguments, and I just wondered if he was 'technically' right. The fact that it is good practise is beyond question imo.

Surely if the tester failed it because of no CPC then he should be able to back up his decision with a regulation???.

I think from memory in 412. something or other there is a mention that double insulation need not have an earth but a earth free labell should be fixed near to an enclosure where connections are made, something like that anyhow, and go easy, it is from memory lol.
wheres my hard hat haha

Reply to 2 core cable.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net