Discuss 3 phase load balancing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for an outside opinion on this.

A collegue and I are going to be installing 4 three phase EV chargers on a site. He's of the opinion that we will need to invert the phase at each charger in order to balance the load, i dont believe this is correct as equipment with 3 phase input already pulls equally from each phase.

Whats correct here? Any advice appreciated.

As Brian above,

But you'd need to do some investigation first as the charger may have a setting to change the phase used for single phase charging,
or the chargers may be assembled with a random phase sequence to reduce the risk of all chargers being on the same phase for single phase use
or the charger may use a different phase each time it's used for single phase.

So by physically changing the phase to each charger you could potentially end up with them all on the same phase in single phase useage.

A collegue and I are going to be installing 4 three phase EV chargers on a site. He's of the opinion that we will need to invert the phase at each charger in order to balance the load, i dont believe this is correct as equipment with 3 phase input already pulls equally from each phase.

What’s the model number of the charging points your installing some are more capable at load sharing than others.
A good read of the manual/specs is always an option

On a EV charger course I did recently when connecting multiple 3 phase chargers it was recommended that the phases at each charger are rotated and each charger programmed with the connected sequence. This is because most vehicles will only charge on single phase from L1 the reason for programming the phase rotation on each charger is so the load management doesn't limit the charging on L1 at all the chargers because it believes the phases are in the normal sequence

On a EV charger course I did recently when connecting multiple 3 phase chargers it was recommended that the phases at each charger are rotated and each charger programmed with the connected sequence. This is because most vehicles will only charge on single phase from L1 the reason for programming the phase rotation on each charger is so the load management doesn't limit the charging on L1 at all the chargers because it believes the phases are in the normal sequence
Agreed, but that's as long as the load management supports phase optimization and can map the phases correctly.

Hence, why I asked the OP #5

Reply to 3 phase load balancing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net