Discuss 6mm Main Bonding on TN-S domestic install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

how would you do it?

check no signs of thermal (or mechanical) damage do continuity test on conductor, check adiabatic Ze, Zs etc then make an informed decision.

this is not a get out of upgrading bonding clause and in my humble opinion it should be carried out when possible.

Also a mention that pme supply must be pre 1988 if existing bonding is to be left in situ to comply with electrical safety regs.

Looked into this as firm i worked for were replacing load of social housing consumer units but didnt want bonding replaced unless needed so wanted something a little more concrete than "my boss told me to do it"

Last edited by a moderator:
Adiabatic is not applicable to bonding conductors.
and as ezzie says, use adiabatic to determine required size of main earth, then bonding needs to be not less than 50% of that. (TNC-S notwithstanding)

I actually mentioned DOMESTIC in my original post question as this is what the question was refering to.

On a Domestic TN-C-S with a 16mm bonding to the MET, my bonding to Gas and Water services must be 10mm if not mechanically protected?

Last edited by a moderator:
show/hideQ12. When carrying out electrical work on an installation forming part of a TN-C-S system, is it necessary to upgrade existing 6 mm² protective equipotential bonding to 10 mm²?

Not necessarily. If the existing 6 mm² bonding connects all the extraneous-conductive-parts to the main earthing terminal, has been in place for a significant time and shows no signs of thermal damage, then it may not require to be upgraded.

Regulation number(s)
Just had similar problem ,researched into threads.The above para taken from the Electricity Saftey Council. Question and Answers page , Alterations.Would appreciate any ones take on this ??? hope there is no stoney silence!!!!!! i take it this refers to the main bonding

Last edited:
was hoping to find some answers when i searched for this but all i found is a bunch of gits flirting with each other...!!!?!?!?!?!?:willy_nilly:

there's a lot of answers in this thread if you bothered to read it. seeing as how you've made the effort to resurrect it after over 2 years.

And i can't see why you would leave a 6mm in place at a time of undertaking a re-wire, ....what to save a couple of quid or so!! It's Nonsense to me!!

Reply to 6mm Main Bonding on TN-S domestic install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net