Discuss A3 radial circuit ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He does have a socket on the staires directly under the loft on a ring main, could i branch off that by any chance without installing a new circuit ?????

If the existing socket is on the ring, you could spur off via a 13A fused connection unit, but with the loading of the lights, you wouldn't have much spare capacity for any other loads.

Like i said at the begining of this thread iam training to become an electrician so i came on here for as much help and advise i could get, the calculation ive done so far is for the fuse rateing . 4x600w=2,400w ÷230v =10.3473....amps.
Ive checked the regulations and the cable size and fuse size i plan on using comply with regulations, if ive missed anything please fill me in i acyually would be greatful .....<- not sarcasm

i have no idea, ask no questions hear no lies, to be honest im just greatful for the work :)

ha ha 100% growing then...

You want the sockets to plug the lights into right?, well run the 2.5mm radial up to the loft and put the 2 socket outlets in on a 16A or 20A what ever you see right.

The socket under the stairs may be part of the ring final circuit in the house of which you could only take 1 unfused spur from so adding the new sockets onto that existing socket is a no.

You calculations of the current does it take into account the power factor?...

Now thats sorted what are you going to do about the big red thermal image that will appear on the cameras when the police helicoptor flies over ha

Like i said at the begining of this thread iam training to become an electrician so i came on here for as much help and advise i could get, the calculation ive done so far is for the fuse rateing . 4x600w=2,400w ÷230v =10.3473....amps.
Ive checked the regulations and the cable size and fuse size i plan on using comply with regulations, if ive missed anything please fill me in i acyually would be greatful .....<- not sarcasm

You could use the "thanks" button on the thread replies.

IF you install a new RADIAL you will be OK, but then you'll have to deal with Part P, RCD's and bonding

IF you install a spur for 2 sockets off an existing ring you won't have to deal with part P but you will need to deal with RCD,s bonding and your modification won't comply with the regs.

You will also need to take into account any ventilation / air flow requirements of this installation and any additional load this will take.
Have you assessed the supply characteristics to ensure the existing Installation is capable of supplying a commercial grade canabis farm.
You may need to contact the dno to arrange a three phase supply to be installed to cope with the additional load.
Dont forget to contact an insulation contractor to ensure the loft space is adeqeutly insulated.
If your house is the only one without snow on the roof expect a knock on the door from the local bobby

Give the OP a break guys,who knows,his customer could be setting up a private training centre for 2394/2395 complete with functioning loaded test rigs ,3ph geny,the works...not every power-sucking-loft is providing flora based IQ suppressant! :joker:

"Regulation 987.142.987 - The installer must be aware that when a new circuit is required to be used for lighting to grow canabis there is a website available so that those who are clue-less can carry out this work without being competant to do so"

No offence intended martin, i'm just messing about

Last edited by a moderator:
Im currently training as an electrician through ATL but i have actually been to college and done my level 1 and 2, plus had on site experience to a cirtain degree.

my friend has asked me to put a new circuit from the consumer unit to his loft as he is converting it, he wants 2 socket outlets to supply 4 lights at 600w.
my question is :
what is the best way to go about the installation? ,from what ive learnt and done in the past id use an A3 radial circuit using 2.5mm twin and earth with a 20a mcb

i was wondering have i got it right or far from it ?

thanks

600W Is it going to be a cannabis factory you just don't know about

My comment about a photo studio was genuine (though I too think a little bit of growing is more likely!) and in my area of expertise I regularly handle 1kw / 2kw single lanterns as Tungsten, 5kw Halides etc.

With the summer weve just had think it will be one big communal sunbed

calcs are right for the power but you need to look at the type of light fitting to be installed also length of cable run wether its in insulation etc etc if you load is 600 watts x 4 = 2400 watt if this is inductive ie flourescent son MH etc then there is a correction factor of 1.8 that has to be applied so your 2400 watts now becomes 4320 watt there for you load is 4320/230 = 18.78 amps

Reply to A3 radial circuit ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net