Discuss Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Saw my email this morning. Pretty gutted but I had only been signed up for 3 months so not as bad as some on here. Is anyone else thinking of getting their money back and not letting Barclays find an alternative? If I remember correctly Acess2Trade was a lot more expensive than many courses. I think I may look for a cheaper one myself rather than still pay £6000 for an inferior course.

Only been signed up since 11th Jan '10 so not even made one payment yet. I have cancelled the direct debit following legal advice and written to Barclays informing of this and referring to S75 of the CCA which places them jointly liable. Sect 10.1.1 of the Access2T contract states the contract will be terminated if they go into liquidation (strange clause so maybe they were planning this) so if the contract is terminated I see no reason to keep paying. Obviously i am not out of pocket and not part way through training so not in the position where I would be looking for Barclays to assist with continuation training. Had a pleasant chat with Steve Baines from Newcareerskills who will offer similar training to access at a similar price but without the same finance deal. Thinking about it but will let the dust settle first. He aslo mentioned that the Skills Centre went bust last year so not sure how you pick one thats a guaranteed safe bet - I guess its the method of payment that needs careful selection to cater for situations such as this.

It seems most likely that Access2 overreached themselves, gambling with our money. Their constant expansion on my visits there was reassuring to me considering the recession, now I feel like a complete fool. I agree the training was very good, and, yeah, the staff were great. It just the ******s up top who ruin everything in this country, yet I have a funny feeling they are sat on a beach laughing

i would like to know if i will get refunded as i paid in full this time last year. why does the access website say nothing about the access students it just only says about the advent students and why didnt they tell us earlier as they know before christmas.:mad:

Hi there,

I am the 'Steve from New Career Skills' referred to by CeeJay in his post earlier.

We have been inundated by students from Access2 and are keen to help in any way we can, including recognising any previously completed training with them.

The important thing for any of you affected by this is to get advice (CAB/solicitor) and to make sure you are 'in the queue' if the receivers are able to pay out anything from the comapny assets.

Some students have been telling me that they have simply stopped their payments - if you do, make sure you also write to the loan company explaining why you have stopped (ie you are not receiving the services the agreement was made for) so that you don't get hit for any admin/non-payment charges...

If we can help in any way, feel free to contact me.

Might I suggest it may be worth your company contacting Barclays Loan Partner Services Hedgehog, someone might as well get something out of this, why not you?!

Hi Everyone

I worked for Access2 trade on the paperwork side for the students , just wanted to comment that we are just as shocked as all the students that this has happened and we had no idea what was going on and we told everything was postive, we havent been paid and got the same rubbish letter with no explanation, but in agreement that i bet the big bosses are on a beach somewhere , i hope all the students get there money back and i know all the staff i worked with very much cared for the welfare of the students that put there hard earned cash into trying to better themselves, heres hoping we all get are money

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to start week 3 with access to trade, the end of Feb and found out last night about the closure. The bank have been very helpful and are trying to move my course to another company, phew !!! The problem I have now is the booking agent for the travel lodge where I had booked to stay at the end of next month, they won't transfer my booking to another hotel or alternative date. They are most unhelpful and put the phone down on me when I phone to get help, where's customer sevice gone? Any advice????

Saw my email this morning. Pretty gutted but I had only been signed up for 3 months so not as bad as some on here. Is anyone else thinking of getting their money back and not letting Barclays find an alternative? If I remember correctly Acess2Trade was a lot more expensive than many courses. I think I may look for a cheaper one myself rather than still pay £6000 for an inferior course.

my qualification route!!

2382 17th edititon = £489
2391 Testing = £700
NVQ3 2356 = £900
PAT 2377 = £250
BTEC LEVEL 3 Diploma in electrical installation = £400

working for free with a housing association when on leave from teh royal navy doing reactive and Periodics plus minor installs also helped!!!

all paid for seperatly with local company's to me!!

in a similar situation to dizz and doddy. paid for the whole lot up front, and only been to a couple of weeks proper training so far. sounds like those with barcleys might get something back or other training but im just left with a pile of books and not much else. just hoping the students arent too far down the pecking order when it comes to getting some money back from the administrators. mate of mine is training with olci in birmingham, he started before me and wish id gone with them as well now, had good reports so might see if they’ll let me carry on from where i am, think someone else on here has spoken them and got promising response. anyone have any advice on what to do next if you paid up front? or is it just wait and see (and worry!)

Hi Everyone

I worked for Access2 trade on the paperwork side for the students , just wanted to comment that we are just as shocked as all the students that this has happened and we had no idea what was going on and we told everything was postive, we havent been paid and got the same rubbish letter with no explanation, but in agreement that i bet the big bosses are on a beach somewhere , i hope all the students get there money back and i know all the staff i worked with very much cared for the welfare of the students that put there hard earned cash into trying to better themselves, heres hoping we all get are money

This is true and maybe its me being cynical (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) but the fact that the plasma TV and ipod display which were provided by the directors disappeared from the rest area a few days leading upto this is highly suspicious.
Oh, and don't forget the lady who supplied boots etc emptying her store cupboard a few hours before the announcement. Rumour has it that she is 1 of the directors sisters!!!

Surely it can't be a case of the fat cats getting their belongings out before the receiver gets in!!! :confused:

Not really fair when we told right at the end of the working day and have had no time to gather our personal belongings!!!!!

I got a letter from the barclays partner finance

dont worry as you are not required to do anything at this stage. we will contact you shortly to confirm details of your new training provider. in themeantime,your finance agreement will continue as normal.

I was due to take my 2382 on Monday, so i have enrolled with another company to take it at a cost of £141 for enrolment and exam fee. I will now be taking it on Tuesday next week, so at least this is one exam out of the way, assuming i pass i will then be looking elsewhere to complete the course.

I presume as i was paying by installments on my credit card that there will be no offer from Barlays about an alternative course provider as there has been no mention of people who were not with barvlays or had not paid in full i feel like i'm on my own but there must be others in a similar position. I think i might try olci or look at saving some money and doing each qualification seperately does anyone have any thoughts on which would be best?

Pete,doesnt the fact you used your credit card give you some proection? Like anything else you buy on a CC, for example I bought tickets for a fake gig and got my money back from visa, you want to look at that. And ex employee, you have to be allowed reentry to get your stuff, its the law, especially tools of your trade.

I think you can claim on your CC, although some only cover items over £100, so if you are paying by instalments, you may not be covered.

Rookeryu,

We have offered our help to Barclays and are waiting to hear back from them...

Problem is that they are only responsible for those students that had loans through them. There are many more that either paid in cash up front or had a loan with the company direct (Student Finance I think they called it) and those will not gain from the help of Barclays.

Just hope they all find a way to get their course completed

This is true and maybe its me being cynical (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) but the fact that the plasma TV and ipod display which were provided by the directors disappeared from the rest area a few days leading upto this is highly suspicious.
Oh, and don't forget the lady who supplied boots etc emptying her store cupboard a few hours before the announcement. Rumour has it that she is 1 of the directors sisters!!!

Surely it can't be a case of the fat cats getting their belongings out before the receiver gets in!!! :confused:

Not really fair when we told right at the end of the working day and have had no time to gather our personal belongings!!!!!

Yes that happened the day before we found out,and yes the lady who supplied the uniforms took her stuff on the wednesday she is relative of one of the directors and we where all asking questions what was going on with no answers, rumours where going round , but with the turnover that they got last yaer we all kept say how could it go soo wrong, is always the ones at the top who it doesnt effect and everyone else suffers,

Yes i agree they got there stuff out , well when u have a 1.6 million house why would u worry about anyone else,

We are not alllowed to go back to building which ive herd has round the clock security,

Having done the first 3 modules with A2T, and awaiting with others the outcome of Barclay's offers I just want to say that the contact throughout my training, with the the trainers and the facilities offered were first rate, and whilst I'm obviously concerned about finishing my training, I'm also very sorry for the staff who have lost their jobs, one months salary they won't be getting etc. They have done a superb job with my training and I'd like to know if and where they get further training posts as I'd happily complete my training with them, Many thanks Lads and Lasses

John

Having done the first 3 modules with A2T, and awaiting with others the outcome of Barclay's offers I just want to say that the contact throughout my training, with the the trainers and the facilities offered were first rate, and whilst I'm obviously concerned about finishing my training, I'm also very sorry for the staff who have lost their jobs, one months salary they won't be getting etc. They have done a superb job with my training and I'd like to know if and where they get further training posts as I'd happily complete my training with them, Many thanks Lads and Lasses

John

John, thanks for your kind words. The tutors and support staff took great pride in the knowlege that we were helping others to learn a new skill and hopefully go on to earn a living from it.
If anyone could provide backing I'm sure we could regroup in alternative premises and continue providing first class training. It just seems a crying shame that a brilliant team has been let down by wranglings at the top and bankers. :(

Although only just starting with access and annoyed at whats happenned, my problems are nothing compared to the A2T staff who have has their livelihoods destroyed. I haven't met any of you but good luck folks and I hope you all get fixed up with jobs elsewhere

Reply to Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net