Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Everyone

I worked for Access2 trade on the paperwork side for the students , just wanted to comment that we are just as shocked as all the students that this has happened and we had no idea what was going on and we told everything was postive, we havent been paid and got the same rubbish letter with no explanation, but in agreement that i bet the big bosses are on a beach somewhere , i hope all the students get there money back and i know all the staff i worked with very much cared for the welfare of the students that put there hard earned cash into trying to better themselves, heres hoping we all get are money

This is true and maybe its me being cynical (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) but the fact that the plasma TV and ipod display which were provided by the directors disappeared from the rest area a few days leading upto this is highly suspicious.
Oh, and don't forget the lady who supplied boots etc emptying her store cupboard a few hours before the announcement. Rumour has it that she is 1 of the directors sisters!!!

Surely it can't be a case of the fat cats getting their belongings out before the receiver gets in!!! :confused:

Not really fair when we told right at the end of the working day and have had no time to gather our personal belongings!!!!!

I got a letter from the barclays partner finance

dont worry as you are not required to do anything at this stage. we will contact you shortly to confirm details of your new training provider. in themeantime,your finance agreement will continue as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was due to take my 2382 on Monday, so i have enrolled with another company to take it at a cost of £141 for enrolment and exam fee. I will now be taking it on Tuesday next week, so at least this is one exam out of the way, assuming i pass i will then be looking elsewhere to complete the course.

I presume as i was paying by installments on my credit card that there will be no offer from Barlays about an alternative course provider as there has been no mention of people who were not with barvlays or had not paid in full i feel like i'm on my own but there must be others in a similar position. I think i might try olci or look at saving some money and doing each qualification seperately does anyone have any thoughts on which would be best?

Pete,doesnt the fact you used your credit card give you some proection? Like anything else you buy on a CC, for example I bought tickets for a fake gig and got my money back from visa, you want to look at that. And ex employee, you have to be allowed reentry to get your stuff, its the law, especially tools of your trade.

I think you can claim on your CC, although some only cover items over £100, so if you are paying by instalments, you may not be covered.

Rookeryu,

We have offered our help to Barclays and are waiting to hear back from them...

Problem is that they are only responsible for those students that had loans through them. There are many more that either paid in cash up front or had a loan with the company direct (Student Finance I think they called it) and those will not gain from the help of Barclays.

Just hope they all find a way to get their course completed

This is true and maybe its me being cynical (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) but the fact that the plasma TV and ipod display which were provided by the directors disappeared from the rest area a few days leading upto this is highly suspicious.
Oh, and don't forget the lady who supplied boots etc emptying her store cupboard a few hours before the announcement. Rumour has it that she is 1 of the directors sisters!!!

Surely it can't be a case of the fat cats getting their belongings out before the receiver gets in!!! :confused:

Not really fair when we told right at the end of the working day and have had no time to gather our personal belongings!!!!!

Yes that happened the day before we found out,and yes the lady who supplied the uniforms took her stuff on the wednesday she is relative of one of the directors and we where all asking questions what was going on with no answers, rumours where going round , but with the turnover that they got last yaer we all kept say how could it go soo wrong, is always the ones at the top who it doesnt effect and everyone else suffers,

Yes i agree they got there stuff out , well when u have a 1.6 million house why would u worry about anyone else,

We are not alllowed to go back to building which ive herd has round the clock security,

Having done the first 3 modules with A2T, and awaiting with others the outcome of Barclay's offers I just want to say that the contact throughout my training, with the the trainers and the facilities offered were first rate, and whilst I'm obviously concerned about finishing my training, I'm also very sorry for the staff who have lost their jobs, one months salary they won't be getting etc. They have done a superb job with my training and I'd like to know if and where they get further training posts as I'd happily complete my training with them, Many thanks Lads and Lasses

John

Having done the first 3 modules with A2T, and awaiting with others the outcome of Barclay's offers I just want to say that the contact throughout my training, with the the trainers and the facilities offered were first rate, and whilst I'm obviously concerned about finishing my training, I'm also very sorry for the staff who have lost their jobs, one months salary they won't be getting etc. They have done a superb job with my training and I'd like to know if and where they get further training posts as I'd happily complete my training with them, Many thanks Lads and Lasses

John

John, thanks for your kind words. The tutors and support staff took great pride in the knowlege that we were helping others to learn a new skill and hopefully go on to earn a living from it.
If anyone could provide backing I'm sure we could regroup in alternative premises and continue providing first class training. It just seems a crying shame that a brilliant team has been let down by wranglings at the top and bankers. :(

Although only just starting with access and annoyed at whats happenned, my problems are nothing compared to the A2T staff who have has their livelihoods destroyed. I haven't met any of you but good luck folks and I hope you all get fixed up with jobs elsewhere

While i feel SORRY for anyone who has parted with hard earned cash on this,i cant help but thinking,oh well all the poeple who looked at getting into the industry through the back door short courses will now have to do it the hard way like i did,working a 3 shift system and doing college at the same time

I tried to find a route in like that, had a local general builder who was happy for me to work with him whilst I was at college, unfortunately living in mid wales there are no colleges that offer it on a sandwich basis, distance learning was all I could find.

I don't suppose we will ever get away from the old lags who think the only way of getting a qualification is the old fashioned traditional way as apposed to the alternatives like Access offered. I happen to have an HNC in electrical building services which I'm sure covers far more theory than the old fashioned apprentice sparky ever covers but just don't have a ticket to practically install hence my decision to follow the Access or similar route. Just because there is a "hard way" such as the college route doesn't mean it is the best or only way. There are many people out there who want to better themselves and retrain via courses such as Access albeit this option has gone ---- up. In the current economic climate these people should be encouraged for trying to better themselves and comments like those from SparkyPaul don't help the situation. I'm sure this post will attract criticism but this an emotive topic and those who have lost out do not need dragging down any further.

Apologies if i didnt make it clear enough.

This thread was started by the forum owner, to inform all those that were enrolled on an A2T course, that they were no longer trading, and to hopefully assist anyone affected by this.

If you wish to spout off for whatever reason, start a new thread in the relevant forum.

BE WARNED. Any insults that are thrown about may get you banned.

I have enough to do without having to edit posts in this thread as well.

Keep it on topic.

I've reopened this thread but please do not reply to it if you work for a training centre. And please do not insult other members or forum staff.

Keep the discussion on-topic and the thread can stay open.

No i've not heard anything. I have spoken to my credit card company and it looks quite hopeful for getting some money back and i have filled out the relevant forms / declarations and posted them off, so it will be about 2 weeks before i hear any more.

Does anyone know if barclays have come up with an alternative provider yet?

Pete

Only just signed up and not made one payment yet to Barclays so wrote and told them to cancel everything and I would sort alternative out. They rang back and stated I was still contracted to them and should let them source alternative trainer. They stated that due to numbers of students would have to use several other providers but did not mention names. Not sure how long I should leave it before sourcing my own alternative.

No i've not heard anything. I have spoken to my credit card company and it looks quite hopeful for getting some money back and i have filled out the relevant forms / declarations and posted them off, so it will be about 2 weeks before i hear any more.

Does anyone know if barclays have come up with an alternative provider yet?

Pete

I've had two letters from Barclay's, one two days after A2T closed and a second one last Friday, both saying they are in effect still working on the issue.

More concerning I've had one email and one phone call from another training provider saying they are following up my request for information about their courses. The email, well they might be able to find but my phone number ? I'm wondering if data has been passed / leaked, has anyone else had similar contacts ?

Ta

John

diz31 im in the same boat. i rang consumer direct and they said i will have to wait to here from the insolvency bloke. they have given me the insolvency services number and if i dont hear anything from the insolvency bloke then write them a letter but i have no idea where to send the letter or who to address it to.

i CAnt believe these closed down

What do you think are the chances of getting your money back if you have gone through the barclays loan setup?

also is there any one that can recommend any other private trainers?

Thanks

They do have some of my money! Unfortunately Barclays have paid them and I now owe on a Barclays loan. I received no notification of insolvency but my freind who's also on the course did by email and contacted me. On checking the website there's a 4 line announcement which is a disgracefully small amount of info when you're still paying out for a large loan.

Up until now they've given me a high quality of training and had a great and very busy training centre so I can't quite see what went wrong. I'll call them tomorrow for some info but I can't imagine I'll have much luck getting through.

Does anyone know what rights we have now as far as claiming anything back goes? I was lucky enough to have completed my 2392 and 2382 recently and providing they sent off for my certificates it's not a complete disaster. My freind wasn't so lucky.

Will the collapse of my training company reflect badly if I tell prospective employers do you think?
im the same boat,,, with access to trades im with barclays over the five years option 115.25 a month,,,, had NO CONTACT AT ALL FROM THEM, OR BARCLAY'S, i found out by ukplumbers forum, ive found a provider in my local area, so i would not have to pay for accom an travel when doing assesments, but barclays say
I MUST GO WITH WHO THEY PROVIDE ONLY
AND ONLY THEM,,,,anyway hope u all ave a gud un, cos im off 2 get absolutly plastered, ttfn

I have been told that Access have up to 3 months to get the inslovency practitioner in. I worked for Access and it is very annoying because we only have up to 3 months to claim our lost wages. I have a suspicion that they will drag it out for the whole 3 months so they don't need to pay the staff.

I don't know if this will help but there is a group on facebook that have set up a petition asking the prime minister to intervene. The petition is for Advent Computer Training but it will also include Access2 as it is the same company.

Petition to: Request money back for students of the collapsed IT Firm Advent Consulting Ltd. | Number10.gov.uk

The petition has been accepted and they need 500 signatures.

Having done my 17th edition at access2 one of the problems I am facing is for a reference, I tried to sign up to a agency the other day looking to apply for a electrician role, when I explained that I have done work experience through access2 where I also trained my 17th edition, however they would not be able to contact them for any reference or evidence to the qualifications and work experience I did there, they lost interest. So even us who completed the first 3 stages of the course are finding it real hard to move forward without a contactable reference for our qualifications.

Have you received your certificates? How long ago did you complete your 17th edition?

November last year, yes I have my certificates, seems in the current market that is not enough, they want someone to cross reference also else its a distinct disadvantage still.

The only thing I can think of is to ask for your evidence. I'm not sure if this is still the case now that the firm has gone under but all evidence is supposed to be kept for a minimum of 2 years. This will list your qualifications and ticks off all the units completed. We kept this in a filing cabinet in the training centre and also on computer. If they would let me I would e-mail it to everyone but I am not allowed in the building and none of the phone numbers work anymore!

The only thing I can think of is to ask for your evidence.

Ask who?

like you say its impossible to contact anyone, I have tried and got no contact from anyone, the nearest I have to any updates in information has been right here in the forum.

Nobody has contacted me to say what's going on money wise or with any other situation, I paid the course in full without taking a loan so what happens there? I would settle for a part refund just to have the money to complete the 2391 elsewhere, but have heard nothing, I guess the Barleys Bank students will be all right, they will at least get offered another training provider, as for me, well I guess I get offered nothing.

Communications are dead, even having a single support line open to students to contact to find out whats going on, so we could request things like evidence of any work experience and course notes we completed with Access2, would of been a huge help, but from the first moment we got our emails that explained nothing, we have just been left in the dark.

Hi everyone, I finished week 4 of the professional electricians course at ACCES2 T C the friday before it all colapsed.
That left me to find a way to sit the C&G2391 theory exam. I have just done the exam but C&G won't clarify whether or not a claim has been put forward on my behalf for the 2391 practical and the 2377. If any of you have worked for ACCESS perhaps you might know if the paper work is sent off immediately the week is complete or could it still be lost in a filing cabinet or computer drive somewhere inside the building at Hartlebury.

Hi everyone, I finished week 4 of the professional electricians course at ACCES2 T C the friday before it all colapsed.
That left me to find a way to sit the C&G2391 theory exam. I have just done the exam but C&G won't clarify whether or not a claim has been put forward on my behalf for the 2391 practical and the 2377. If any of you have worked for ACCESS perhaps you might know if the paper work is sent off immediately the week is complete or could it still be lost in a filing cabinet or computer drive somewhere inside the building at Hartlebury.

As far as I am aware the compliance centre in Southampton has contact with the exam board to make them aware if anyone has passed exams or practicals. The hard copies of the results were saved on the computer in the building and the guys at Southampton had access to our files so as soon as we saved the results they could view it. They were usually prompt in nagging us if we were slow imputting results on the database so I would hope that they have sent your results to C&G. However due to the problems going on at that time I don't know if the compliance centre was affected (Us guys at the training centre were the last to know!)

Thanks Flo,
I take it you worked there....I'm so sorry for what happened to you guys.
Every member of staff I came into contact with there was brilliant. Hope youi
all get re-settled soon.

Best regards Steve

Thanks Flo,
I take it you worked there....I'm so sorry for what happened to you guys.
Every member of staff I came into contact with there was brilliant. Hope youi
all get re-settled soon.

Best regards Steve

Hi Steve, how did the 2391 theory exam go?
Were there any questions in there which you weren't sure about or did we get it all covered in class?

P.S
If anyone wants to employ a tutor let me know. ;)

I thought we had perfect preperation.
Section A had one or two ambiguous questions but as
these were only three points I wasn't too worried.
Basically with EIC MEIWC PIR SoI , SoTR and Earth
Fault loop diagrams ommitted to memory. GN3 well read
you should have all the info you need. Ofcourse I haven't
had the results back yet.
Personally I went through many past papers time after
time. I attempted a paper and if not 100% right I would
read relevant sections of GN3 then re do the whole paper.
I kept doing this until 100% was achieved then move onto
another paper. After going through them all I went back
through them all again to make sure the info was sticking.

hi all has anyone got a letter from barcleys yet. i have phoned and email them and told letter is on the way, but still not receved yet. just trying to see if anyone has got the letter.
thanks for your help.

Hi,

I've received a couple ofletters from Barclays, one a couple of days after A2TC stopped trading and an undate a week later both stating they are looking into other avenues to continue the course and in the meantime to keep up payments.

Nothing since the insolvency practioner has been apointed.

Darren

Hello,

I signed up for Access 2 Trade mid November 09 and was just about to take my first piratical two weeks before it went into liquidation, so luckily I was not up there when it happened, wasting money and holiday time for nothing.

Obviously the news was shocking and disappointing!

Anyway, I paid the full amount up front, all my savings etc. I decided to pay it off on credit card for the extra protection 'just in case' then paid my credit card off in full the next month.

As soon as I got the news I called up and made a claim to my credit card company. Today I just received everything back in full!! *wipes sweat off fore head*.

I know this does not really 'help' anybody, but if you did pay on credit card, then there is a good chance you will get the money back. Its a totally different contract to the Barclay loan (even though my credit card is with Barclays).

Anyway, best of luck for everybody!! Really hope you all sort something out.

Anyway, for me its back to the researching and deciding which other company to trust with my money and give my training!

Baz

Hello,

I signed up for Access 2 Trade mid November 09 and was just about to take my first piratical two weeks before it went into liquidation, so luckily I was not up there when it happened, wasting money and holiday time for nothing.

Anyway, I paid the full amount up front, all my savings etc. I decided to pay it off on credit card for the extra protection 'just in case' then paid my credit card off in full the next month.

As soon as I got the news I called up and made a claim to my credit card company. Today I just received everything back in full!! *wipes sweat off fore head*.

I know this does not really 'help' anybody, but if you did pay on credit card, then there is a good chance you will get the money back. Its a totally different contract to the Barclay loan (even though my credit card is with Barclays).

Anyway, for me its back to the researching and deciding which other company to trust with my money and give my training!

Baz

Try you local college, they don't very often bust!
Plus they can quite often point you in the right direction for jobs etc.
Some do evening classes that can fit round working

Jim

hi all, i was about to sit week3 of the electrical with access 2 trade when i got the news about it shutting down.and as were you all not very pleased. I have paid nothing yet as was on 1 years interest free loan so willhave to pay full ammount soon. today have got a letter from barcleys saying they were in talks with a company to finish my training not sure if it was just a letter to reasure me for a while and just get my money . i have been onto the phone with them many times but no joy of getting out of the agreement with them. would also like to hear from others who have this letter

Hello,

Baz
Hey,
I have just seen your post here and i to have a similar situation.My years intrest free with Barclays ended at almost the same time as this crapy news broke so i payed by c/card rather than cheque for a bit of "security",i could raise a case with my c/card provider but would barclays not still be looking for thier ££ from me??Any info you could give me would be appreciated as i dont seem to getting any further with this.

hi they have only had 2 payments from me.have stopped db... they sayI am in breach of contract. have they been on to you? regards andy.

Hey,
I have just seen your post here and i to have a similar situation.My years intrest free with Barclays ended at almost the same time as this crapy news broke so i payed by c/card rather than cheque for a bit of "security",i could raise a case with my c/card provider but would barclays not still be looking for thier ££ from me??Any info you could give me would be appreciated as i dont seem to getting any further with this.

I've been following what people have been saying on here and have finally got some paperwork from PKF regarding Access going into Administration.

I enrolled in August 2008 and went with the Barclays finance nothing to pay for a year, then I paid that off with 2 x 0% credit cards, but for many reasons only recently started the course properly.

Now i'm wondering where I stand regarding a refund from the credit card company, any ideas before I start ringing them.

Any help will be gratefully received as i'm not sure whether to wait for Barclays to come up with an alternative or just do something completely different.

Sean

It appears that PKF have found a buyer. I have called them to see if they know if the buyer will keep the centre open, they don't know yet as the contract has not been signed. This is the official press release:
Press release from PKF (UK) LLP
2 March 2010
Boost for students as training deal nears​
Administrators from accountants and business advisers PKF in Birmingham have agreed terms with two separate operators to buy the interests of Hagley-based Advent Computer Training and Access 2 Careers.
It is anticipated that many of the students caught up in the collapse of two Midland training companies are set to see their futures secured. It is further hoped that other students can expect similar news soon.
PKF partners Ian Gould and Brian Hamblin were appointed last month to run the firms while a purchaser was sought.
Advent Computer Training, established in 2002, provided IT training to over 8,000 students, while Access 2 Careers, formed in 2004, offered plumber and electrician training for up to more than 3,000.
Mr Gould said:​
.We have agreed sales of the businesses subject to contract, with two
separate training organisations and also with one of the major funders involved.

.​
This covers the interests of a considerable number of the students affected who should be able to continue their studies soon.

Got my first written correspondence from any one today - from Barclays in response to the second letter I sent requesting to know what was going on. Stated they were in talks with other training providers and should have an outcome soon. I have just phoned them to request details of these training providers which I was informed they could not give me. Asked them what they thought was a reasonable time to get this sorted and the reply was "should be sorted within a year but hopefully sooner". My letter whilst it had the correct address had someone elses name on it. All in all considering Barclays are such a big outfit, the service is ****e.

I completed Module 2 of the electricians course on 15/1/2010 and blurb from access says you should get your certificates in about 6 weeks. Then on 27/1/2010 we get the going into administration announcement so thats about two weeks after completing module.
Its now about 8 weeks and no certificates so i contact EAL and they say i am registered and have passed the exam but my training provider has not claimed my certificate and they have no info on any of the 8 units required (module 1 and 2 practical weeks) and they cant issue a certificate on an exam pass only. They suggest i contact another exam provider to see if they can help, so i do, they say without evidence i will have to do a course again at full cost which is a real pain.
I have asked the administrators if they can send a copy of my evidence portfolio to me or to the other provider to avoid any tampering issues but have had no response.

Has any one else been down a similar route ? and how long does it take ? any advice would be appreciated. All i want is my certificate which i think i am entitled to as i cant say i have the qualification without it.

hope MEt UK are next

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9snACtsfcs]YouTube - Electrical Course at Met UK = Total Waste of Time[/ame]

Hello, newbie to forums - just had to do some random posting to be allowed to reply here.

I did set a group on Facebook but theres only 3 other members as well as myself, so I don't know how people have been getting on as theres only 1 other member thats posted anything.

After reading this I am in the same situation with the people who took the loan through Barclays.

I've had a letter today from BPF and one from OLCI Contruction Training confirming everything and I am considering either Nottingham or Leeds.

I start did look into OLCI when I were first choosing a course. I stopped because Access called, with news that I'd passed a credit check with Barclays and I didn't want to keep having credit searches, so I stuck with Access. So I was wondering if anyone knew whether OLCI were any good?

And how's everyone else getting on?

Any news for those who didn't take out a finance agreement?

(Sorry it's such an essay)

There is hope! I see on the olci website that OLCI is picking up all the access2trades plumbing, gas and electrical students. Call them on 08003284163 and carry on with your training.

Reply to Access 2 Trade Careers Closing Down in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net