Discuss Adding sub board to main consumer unit on tt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

why are you trying to make it to a TT system in the barn when their is no extraneous parts in the barn?
because customer doesnt want rcd in the house so i was going to make the barn tt but while im typing this just realised my mistake, board in the house would still need rcd for fault protection. how do i get a fire alarm in the barn and get sufficient fault protection on a 63 amp breaker in the house. can i put 300ma rcd in the house after the main board then put the fire alarm on before the sub board and before 100ma rcd or can the fire alarm not go on any rcd whatsoever ?

I think the gyst of the thread is that the Zdb in the barn is too high for the 63a MCB although I don't have a BYB to check it. If that's the case I'd be looking to change the OCPD to a type which meets the disconnection time rather than adding RCD's where they are not otherwise required
i would need to take it to 45 amp and wouldnt be sufficient for the shop

From OSG table B3, for BS88-2 fuse 63A with 5sec dis we need 0.62 Ohms at ambient, leaving 0.15 to get you to the barn shop :)

Ok, I bet you've measured the armour as it's the cpc. If you can use a 16mm core for cpc you will get there, I think.
the cable is already in and connected ( i didnt put it in)

i need the breaker to be 63amp feeding the barn, i cant upgrade the cable, so im looking at this as putting rcd on everything( which the customer is most happiest with) but if i put rcd in the house i cant put a fire alarm in the barn shop ( <---- thats right isnt it ) is my only option to bring a new feed for the fire alarm feed from the house?

Understood. I'm still at trying to avoid extra RCDs etc ... I think you said it's a 4 core cable, do you need 3phase 63A in the barn or is the barn single phase? If it's single phase you can reuse a spare core for additional cpc and get the impedance down.

Do you need to take 3 phase over to the shop? The 50A fuse is 0.79, from the same table.
yes need 3 phase and 50a might not be sufficiant
Understood. I'm still at trying to avoid extra RCDs etc ... I think you said it's a 4 core cable, do you need 3phase 63A in the shop or is the shop single phase? If it's single phase you can reuse a spare core for additional cpc and get the impedance down.
needs to be 3 phase got 3 phase oven in barn and it feeds some 3 phase slicers

Reply to Adding sub board to main consumer unit on tt in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net