Discuss Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Same sort of tongue as Scouse is it Tel
nah. there's quite a big difference between " stitch that, jimmy. och aye" and " You'll never walk again, soft lad.".

q.v. Gerry and the Pacemakers.

It's not required that Building control are notified but an installation certificate should still be issued.

Material costs can also be slightly higher here it's not unusual to find materials cheaper on the internet than I can get them from my wholesaler.

I've fallen foul of trying to install downlights once the PVC panelling has been installed it's a pain in the rear without a drawing or photographs. The more complex the timber work above the more of a pain in the rear it is.

At the end of the day it is arguable that the lad took his time to get it right and the finished job is to a high standard.

As for not getting a quote or estimate... lesson learned.

Just got an email from SELECT after chasing them up. They refuse to deal with me as it was my partner that phoned the electrician. The electrician knows fine well who I am.

He knows who I am well enough that the bill is addressed to ME!!!!!!

I spoke to Roper Rhodes about the lights on the drawer that have cost hours. They say they can be done in 15-20 minutes. They suggest at worst 1 hour.

No word about a certificate yet. I read this for the guidelines for Scotland.

Which one will new lights and the r.c.d come under?

Screenshot_20171019-163818.png

Just got an email from SELECT after chasing them up. They refuse to deal with me as it was my partner that phoned the electrician. The electrician knows fine well who I am.

He knows who I am well enough that the bill is addressed to ME!!!!!!

I spoke to Roper Rhodes about the lights on the drawer that have cost hours. They say they can be done in 15-20 minutes. They suggest at worst 1 hour.

No word about a certificate yet. I read this for the guidelines for Scotland.

Which one will new lights and the r.c.d come under?

Screenshot_20171019-163818.png

It's still classed as an alteration to an existing circuit.

Bear in mind that everyone has struggled with kit that has shoddy instructions that should take 'minutes' to assemble.

It should also be taken in to consideration that none of us saw the job only the attending electricians and yourself.

It is not possible to say how long a job should have taken without being there. We are only guessing.

Can I ask what did you expect to pay for the job beforehand?

I didn't have anything better to go on than other people's experience. I googled and asked a few people and the range wasn't massive. I was ready for somewhere around £350.

Having asked on a couple of very popular forums, and other electricians responding, nobody can grasp how it amounted to £850 and 18 hours.

The issue I've raised is the young guy sent out wasn't capable of doing the work in a timely fashion. That's not just my opinion. The lad stood in front of us and fully admitted it to us. I don't know how the conversations go between him and his dad, but what his dad says is nothing like what happened in my house. He's getting his numbers and facts all twisted as he's either accepting his son's work over our word, or he's covering for him. He is fully relying on his son for his side of the argument.

The dad laid on thick how nice a chap is son his. He was a really nice guy, but I shouldn't be made to feel guilty over this.

They didn't spend 18 hours in my house like originally billed. When tackled twice over this he reduced it to 16.5 hours and claimed an additional 1.5 travel time. This is still incorrect.

The amount of hours the son lost for not being able to hang a mirror on his own, or understand the drawers isn't reflected in the bill. The son admitted to us both jobs lost him hours.

I've posted pictures of the drawers and the wiring inside on page one. You can look and see if you agree with the manufacturer's claims of it can be done in 15-20 minutes.

Also demonstrated on page 1 it looks to be the case the mark up on cetain products is very heavy.

I appreciate the error of not getting a quote was a serious error on our behalf. It shouldn't lead to be taken advantage of.

I didn't have anything better to go on than other people's experience. I googled and asked a few people and the range wasn't massive. I was ready for somewhere around £350.

Having asked on a couple of very popular forums, and other electricians responding, nobody can grasp how it amounted to £850 and 18 hours.

The issue I've raised is the young guy sent out wasn't capable of doing the work in a timely fashion. That's not just my opinion. The lad stood in front of us and fully admitted it to us. I don't know how the conversations go between him and his dad, but what his dad says is nothing like what happened in my house. He's getting his numbers and facts all twisted as he's either accepting his son's work over our word, or he's covering for him. He is fully relying on his son for his side of the argument.

The dad laid on thick how nice a chap is son his. He was a really nice guy, but I shouldn't be made to feel guilty over this.

They didn't spend 18 hours in my house like originally billed. When tackled twice over this he reduced it to 16.5 hours and claimed an additional 1.5 travel time. This is still incorrect.

The amount of hours the son lost for not being able to hang a mirror on his own, or understand the drawers isn't reflected in the bill. The son admitted to us both jobs lost him hours.

I've posted pictures of the drawers and the wiring inside on page one. You can look and see if you agree with the manufacturer's claims of it can be done in 15-20 minutes.

Also demonstrated on page 1 it looks to be the case the mark up on cetain products is very heavy.

I appreciate the error of not getting a quote was a serious error on our behalf. It shouldn't lead to be taken advantage of.
Trading standards is a good place to report him

I'm not amused with SELECT. Yesterday the excuse was they couldn't deal with me as the contract was with my partner. I then sent photographic proof that the recorded letter and the invoice was addressed to me.

Today things have changed.

I have "nothing in writing with which to back your claim for overpayment or overcharging". Does a bill for £850 not count as proof with documentation with what work was done?

I have nothing in writing but the both of us were in the house and know when the guy came and left. Without any doubt we know what hours he worked. What other possible way could I prove the hours he claimed for was wrong and we were overcharged?

They won't get involved with the conduct of an employee as "it's our word against his". How else is that going to be?

The word of two people won't even be considered against someone else?

"In terms of certification for the job, unfortunately the industry is not regulated by law so there is no legal requirement to issue a certificate."

End of matter as far as SELECT are concerned.

What purpose do SELECT actually serve?

Someone said to me on the back of yesterday's excuse it was a classic fob off. I was to remember that they were a paid body and would defend their customer and not me.

Sounds as if that's exactly the case.

For certification, I haven't got my regs book to hand, chapter 63 of BS7671 covers the requirement for certifying an installation and what certificates should be raised. Although BS7671 is non-statutory it is referred to in the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and can be used to prove non-compliance. So we are regulated by law.

The minimum Select should be doing is acting as an intermediary to resolve this situation. Sounds like they can't be bothered.

You should defintely get the completion certs as it is required after doing any job of that scale.

In regards to the money, you are fighting a lost cause. Nothing was agreed before therefor you left yourself wide open.
I personally would take advantage of this situation but know many who would.

it's not so much that OP is disputing the hourly rate charged for. it's the number of hours that were actually billable.

What purpose do SELECT actually serve?

I suspect that they'll only get involved in the event of an unsafe installation. They won't want to know about contractual stuff.

How many hours do you think the electricians were on site? Do they state in any publication or on their website anything about their rates or charging for travel?

do it the Turkish way. offer £400. he'll come back with £700, blah,blah, blah, then finally settle for £599.99.

I suspect that they'll only get involved in the event of an unsafe installation. They won't want to know about contractual stuff.

How many hours do you think the electricians were on site? Do they state in any publication or on their website anything about their rates or charging for travel?

14 hours in total. The plumber says they weren't here for 2 hours each on the first visit. I can't contest that too heavily as I wasn't here to see.

The 14 hours still includes the hours the the young lad fully admitted he lost as he couldn't hang the mirror on his own and then again understanding the wiring of the drawers. That also includes lunch breaks, excessive cigarette breaks and Facebook. It is the total time here.

There is zero mention of travel hours on his website. It does mention that they cover areas of the North East of Scotland much further away than us. We are 16 miles away and got charged £27 per day. He is willing to travel to places 60 miles away.

The original bill was for £540+VAT for tradesman labour plus materials. I asked him to break it down and he was clear about 18 hours labour. I then challenged him and told him there wasn't 18 hours spent in my house as we were present to see. It was only then he amended the bill and transferred hours away from tradesman labour and introduced travel expenses.

To me he knows fine well he's been caught out and did this to cheat the numbers.

Last edited:

Reply to Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net