Discuss Advice on S Plan wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gravid

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey up, I've got to wire up an S plan system soon and want a head start on it.

Its a Thermacon oil condensing boiler as an S plan system, the boiler is sited in the utility and the cylinder is in an airing cupboard on the other side of the house. Both valves are going in the cylinder cupboard. This is the info the plumbs given me so far.

I'm putting a programmer next to the boiler in the utility and a rm stat in the hall.

Now my questions are are all S plan's the same regardless of boiler make ?, I've found a few wiring diagrams on the net and a lot seem to mention honeywell sun dial systems, what is this ?

I've found this document (attached ) is this S plan diagram universal. From this I'm thinking of running a Triple to the rm stat, T n E to boiler, and a T n E and a Triple to the programmer from the cylinder cupboard.

Then connecting the lot up in the cupboard as shown in this document.

What do you C/H experts think, is this correct? Thanks in advance, sorry for long post.

Attachments

• Honey Well Sundial-Wiring.pdf
    142.3 KB · Views: 53
Ok thanks, I'll have a look at that post Kung,

So I might have to run a triple to the boiler then Jason, I'll ask the plumber about that. Cheers.

Whats this sundial sysem then is it just the name for the joint box ?

mate, as far as i know the wiring should be the same, it doesent make a difference whether it is a s plan on a unvented system, gravity fed system, etc, the s plan system is pretty straitforward, compared to the y plan or c plan, etc. the components that need to be wired into the system are as follows. room stat, cylinder stat, programmer, 2 port zone valve, boiler, pump. the programmer wil usually be a 2 zone control which will have to be inter connected within the programmer. if you require a detailed explanation, i will try my best, to explain, this is just the basics,

Basic boilers require S/L, N and CPC
Boilers with fault diagnosis (most modern boilers), or built in frost protection, require L, S/L, N and CPC
Boilers with pump overrun require an additional Pump Live back to the wiring centre, or Pump L N E to the pump itself.

If your utility room is an unheated zone, frost protection may be required (Frost stat and low limit pipe stat fitted on the return) to protect the boiler. This is L, S/L and N back to the boiler or wiring centre.

You need local isolation by the boiler for maintenance purposes, usually an additional T/Pole switch if the FCU is not local to the appliance.

Ok, nice one m4 and lamb,

Spoke to the plumbers today they didn't know whether the boiler has a pump overrun or not they said " just run a shed load of wires to everything then your covered " LOL !

Its a large plumbing firm so they might not even be there to install the boiler.

I will definately have to put a switch for isolation as the power is coming from a different cct, the one by the cylinder cupboard, not the utillity cct.

i have found there is a differance if you are using a valliant boiler.
the wiring diagrams you get with programmers and thermostats don't work with villiant boilers.
i can't remember the changes you need.
but if you contact valliant they will send you the diagram.
but you have to phone them, they have not posted on-line.

Hi,
Agree with Alan Holmwood. Valliant boilers are different as they have two 'stats on the boiler one for DHW the other for Ch. Also Valliant boilers CANNOT be run using the Honeywell Sundial wiring centre you have to use an 11 way, yes 11 if you follow their diagrams or a 10 way one but offset the numbers by one as they do not count the earth as a connection !!.
None of this info is in the Vallinat installation manual nor is it on their web site. As Alan says you have to ring and ask for it then they'll e-mail you a copy.

Cheers,
Lofty

Reply to Advice on S Plan wiring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net