Discuss Does this exist - remote relay unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I went to look at mess this morning.
S plan heating system, google nest heat link in airing cupboard.
Downstairs in utility room the kitchen fitter thought it was a combi and planned to get the nest moved down there.
So now there's just power to the boiler, and the cable he cut thinking it was wall stat is tiled over.
I've made safe the other end.

Before I break the bad news that to resolve this properly newly laid carpets are coming up, floor boards are coming up, and tiles need to come off, I did wonder if there is any product that can take a signal from the call to heat in the airing cupboard and trigger a relay at the boiler.
Yes - "Clutching at straws"
If anyone can see a simpler way out, I'm all ears!

TO answer my own question, it looks like the RF Solutions Ferret system achieves this.

Various possibilities from their products are possible, but this is the kit for such a situation:

(£100)

TO answer my own question, it looks like the RF Solutions Ferret system achieves this.

Various possibilities from their products are possible, but this is the kit for such a situation:

A couple of people on here have used that system I think.

My only concern is the pump overrun, but I think the Greenstar 24i System boiler has an internal pump, and can't recall whether there was also an external one in the airing cupboard. Seems I need to go back and check!
The Mainslink Pro covers this situation if necessary.

Last edited:
So to report back, the Mainslink units were shipped quickly and arrived next day. Three stuffing glands were included in the box.

I tried it out at home, and there was a bit of confusion, the relay and LED were activating correctly but the switched live output appeared to be staying live at all times, measured with both 2 pole and multimeter.
I phoned the support number (who answered instantly), and they explained that the unit includes noise filters, and without any load/impedance this effect will be observed. They also said the filters can be disabled if required (involves removing PCB and removing jumpers underneath) but this wasn't required.

Anyway, it was a doddle to install, and works a treat. I'd definitely use again.

So to report back, the Mainslink units were shipped quickly and arrived next day. Three stuffing glands were included in the box.

I tried it out at home, and there was a bit of confusion, the relay and LED were activating correctly but the switched live output appeared to be staying live at all times, measured with both 2 pole and multimeter.
I phoned the support number (who answered instantly), and they explained that the unit includes noise filters, and without any load/impedance this effect will be observed. They also said the filters can be disabled if required (involves removing PCB and removing jumpers underneath) but this wasn't required.

Anyway, it was a doddle to install, and works a treat. I'd definitely use again.
Hi Tim, Many thanks for trying out RF Solutions, glad our Mainslink Product helped with your application.

Reply to Does this exist - remote relay unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net