Discuss Amendment 3 DPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

1st of Jan 2015, in full effect by 1st of July 2015

Just another bloody regs book really innit, all because a few plebs up at the IET want to correct their spelling mistakes! lol

What's this all about?
(See 411.4 etc.)

Cmin is the minimum voltage factor to take account of voltage variations depending on time and place, changing
of transformer taps and other considerations.
NOTE 1: For a low voltage supply given in accordance with the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations
2002 as amended, Cmin is given the value 0.95.

Also, have a look at the altered tabulated max Zs values for B, C and D curve 60898s!

What a ball ache, that means the big green book is gonna have to come out every time I fill in a cert now!

This is to take account of the lower end of the range of the tolerances and VD of a nominal 230V/400 supply, if you notice they have also re-calculated the max Zs values (OCPD tables etc.) to take this into account too.

What gets me with this is that they already lowered these once to "harmonise" the 230/400 calcs (from 240/415), this new lowering probably makes some sense if you have a "real" 230/400 supply which we don't (we only changed the tolerance band) unless we are really lowering our supply voltage this time ?

More significantly, the commercial/industrial supervised person "get out clause" for RCDs has all but been removed, unless you are prepared to sign a RA to say otherwise, I cannot see many people wanting to sign that.
This will cause some problems with offices and the like.

Where does all this Bull Shine end ?, yet they do nothing to correct all the other anomalies and poor wording of existing regs, just add more Sh*t on top, was the 17th that bad ?

More money for "the boys", I wish we would tell Europe to P*ss off and fit in with us for a change.

Last edited:
This is to take account of the lower end of the range of the tolerances and VD of a nominal 230V/400 supply, if you notice they have also re-calculated the max Zs values (OCPD tables etc.) to take this into account too.

What gets me with this is that they already lowered these once to "harmonise" the 230/400 calcs (from 240/415), this new lowering probably makes some sense if you have a "real" 230/400 supply which we don't (we only changed the tolerance band) unless we are really lowering our supply voltage this time ?

More significantly, the commercial/industrial supervised person "get out clause" for RCDs has all but been removed, unless you are prepared to sign a RA to say otherwise, I cannot see many people wanting to sign that.
This will cause some problems with offices and the like.

I bet DI EICs with RAs attached will be flying out of the printer! they do love a get out clause don't they!

To be honest D I am p*sed off with the whole lot, More books to be replaced, GNs etc. then we will sure to be having the 18th ed next, more costs for exams etc. IET and C&G on a good old money spinner, I know we have always had updates, mostly for the better, I agree with the 17th for RCDs in domestic for example, but this just takes the p*ss.

This is more to fit in with the poxy EU, it is more of a political change IMO, rather than for good Electrical reasons.

Last edited:
I wish they'd use different colours for the strike through and changes instead of red for both, makes reading/understanding it difficult in places.

Just off to Halfords for a tin of yellow spray paint :D

Thanks for posting
I like the fact that they have got rid of competent person and replaced with skilled electrically skilled person. I may sound trivial but makes more sense to me

Maybe its time the IEE took responsibility of the CPS as after all its there book we have to adhere too, then there would be no discrepancies with technical help as they would be able to clarify exactly what it means, and our annual subs would also include any new revisions being available to us at a heavily discounted rate. Which in turn would surely make everyone sign up to it?

Hmm, there is an awful lot of bleating going on here.
ÂŁ70 for the book, who pays that?
I got the green book and the OSG for ÂŁ60. Everyone in one of the schemes would also have been offered similar deals.
Then, spread that cost over 2 years, and it is 75p a week, for the best guidebook possible for your profession.
I've got no problem with the new RCD regs. Easily bypassed by writing a 5 line risk assessment if you feel it is not required.
How about 134.1.1?
That's a good change IMO and hasnt been picked up by most.

Why? I put an oven in last week, in the install notes, it said "only to be installed by a 'NIC' approved electrician, and must be supplied by 6mm T+E". Why not 10mm? or the 4mm I put in, for the 5kW oven? I went against manufacturers instructions as they were just plain wrong. But my work is non-compliant, and would have been before I started as I am not with NICEIC, which is what I assume 'NIC' means.

Reply to Amendment 3 DPC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net