Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Amendment 3 on condition reports in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zone77

-
Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick one. Should I yet be noting non compliance with fire rated CUs or any other new amendments on my condition reports? Any input appreciated.

Darkwoods reply makes sense in that post.
The regulation regarding steel c/u's has an implementation date that comes into force January 1st next year.
So either steel or plastic are both acceptable until then, and as such your not installing with a departure from current regs.
After the 1st Jan plastic will need to be within a fire retardant enclosure

The best practise guide says from the 1st Jan 2016 if the CCU is not made of a non combustible material/not in a non combustible enclosure located under a wooden staircase or within a sole route of escape from the premises then it warrants a code 3.

The best practise guide says from the 1st Jan 2016 if the CCU is not made of a non combustible material/not in a non combustible enclosure located under a wooden staircase or within a sole route of escape from the premises then it warrants a code 3.

Yet the regulations make no reference to staircases or means of escape, who writes this crap? The NIC?

Yet the regulations make no reference to staircases or means of escape, who writes this crap? The NIC?
Yep, and the ECA, and the IET, and BEAMA, and NAPIT, and SELECT, and city and guilds, and British gas apparently. At least they all endorse or support the best practice guides if you believe the hype.

I have often wandered why the ESF nee ESC are somehow considered to be the main authority on electrical safety. The BPGs are useful, but as pointed out there is a lot of conjecture within them, but saying that a C3 for situations Lee describes is not entirely unreasonable and gives some food for thought regarding coding.

I have often wandered why the ESF nee ESC are somehow considered to be the main authority on electrical safety. The BPGs are useful, but as pointed out there is a lot of conjecture within them, but saying that a C3 for situations Lee describes is not entirely unreasonable and gives some food for thought regarding coding.

At the end of the day the so-called "Best Practice Guides" are merely an opinion, and it is the opinion of the inspector (who is actually there) that matters. The ESC (or whatever they are now called) cannot tell me how something must be coded - all they can do is offer their opinion.

Reply to Amendment 3 on condition reports in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net