Discuss Apprentice - transport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regarding the apprentice, hold him down and strip him off, whack a whole tub of cutting paste around his wedding tackle then tie him up with tyraps 10 foot off the floor to a fence for 8 hours when it is frosty or snowing, that will sort him out lol

Regarding the apprentice, hold him down and strip him off, whack a whole tub of cutting paste around his wedding tackle then tie him up with tyraps 10 foot off the floor to a fence for 8 hours when it is frosty or snowing, that will sort him out lol

Well I had the grease treatment and was nailed to the yard gate in Crucifix pose with nails through my overalls sleeves & legs.

The effing barstools left me there in the pi$$ing rain and the boss walked past on his way the netty and never even batted an eyelid.

Well I had the grease treatment and was nailed to the yard gate in Crucifix pose with nails through my overalls sleeves & legs.

The effing barstools left me there in the pi$$ing rain and the boss walked past on his way the netty and never even batted an eyelid.
Top Man :grin:

Hi All

Just a quickie.... want to see what others think and if I'm being unreasonable?

I pick up and drop off my apprentice from his home address on a daily basis. He lives 5 mins drive down the road so no problem really.

He recently started driving and have asked on a Monday each week if he could make his own way to the lock up (5 mins drive from his house/ parking fine) to get the van loaded up ready for the week. And I'll meet him there, simples really.

The response I got was..... "I'm not using my car for work"

Wasnt best please with that, and made it quite clear what I thought.

Any thoughts please ?

Cheers Sy

Haven't read other replies yet so apologies if already said, but he/she has to or should use their own vehicle to get to/from workplace. In this case the lock-up.

OK I’ve always worked for large companies. Getting to work was my responsibility. If they wanted me to go elsewhere then they paid the AA rates minus the “normal” mileage.

If I was to be away for any length of time then a hire or company car was provided. The wife needed the car as well.

The bottom line, it’s your responsibility to get yourself to your normal place of work.

Just tell the idle sod to walk if he doesn’t want to use his car.

Sorry if this has all been said before but I just can’t be ar$ed to read though all the rest of the posts.

OK I’ve always worked for large companies. Getting to work was my responsibility. If they wanted me to go elsewhere then they paid the AA rates minus the “normal” mileage.

If I was to be away for any length of time then a hire or company car was provided. The wife needed the car as well.

The bottom line, it’s your responsibility to get yourself to your normal place of work.

Just tell the idle sod to walk if he doesn’t want to use his car.

Sorry if this has all been said before but I just can’t be ar$ed to read though all the rest of the posts.

Oh go on Tony, you will enjoy it!!

Pretty much everything that can be said on the matter has been now but I'll offer my perspective. I've been an apprentice for seven months now, in that time I've been picked up and dropped home ... never.

From my first day it has been expected that I make my own way to work. Usually this has been to the senior tradesman's house then in his van to site, or to one of a couple of factories in the next town we do work for. I've considered myself lucky to only have a 10-20min drive to work, many people commute for hours to sit at a desk, I'd be homicidal in a month doing that.

As for the young lad not wanting to use his car for work, who said anything about driving? The OP just asked him to meet at the lockup one morning a week, how he gets there is his problem.

Tell him to read this thread mate.
Ungrateful little *******, you should go round to his house one morning and tell him you're both walking to the office. Then kick his ungrateful arse every second step on the way there, then tell him you're taking the day off and walk him back to his home doing exactly the same.
Oh and don't pay him for that day.

Lets just clear a few things up because you all know I’m a bit thick. Firstly, sythai expects his semi-trained monkey who has only been working for him for two months to load the van up ready for the week. Ignoring the apprentices dopey response for a minute, he would need the keys to the lock-up and to the van. So I must assume that the van is already parked up over the weekend. When I was an apprentice I would rock on at the yard ten minutes before I was due to start work, still wearing my sh@gging gear and dancing shoes from the Friday night, with other things on my mind. And since most youngsters can’t remember which way round on the toilet to sit, what do you think the chances are of him not losing the keys to the lock-up or the van or both? What’s to stop him turning the van into a party bus over the weekend. I know I would have done….lol.
Now to the nitty-gritty! What happens if he forgets to load something on? What happens if he loads on the wrong items? Will he be able to find his way round the shelves in the lock-up? How is he going to know what jobs and what materials he will need on the van for the following week? How will sythai know he’s completed his mission successfully? Have they both developed mystic psychic powers?

Sythai - It would be better to tell him to get to the lock-up ten minutes early to make you both a brew so that upon your arrival you will be able to wash the Monday morning blues way. Remember, chance favours the prepared mind!:angel_smile:

All is good.... he drove up to the lock up and will do each Monday as I need him to.

I went and had a word Saturday morning.

Think we were just having a 'stroppy teenager moment' on Friday.

He's normally a very good lad otherwise.

Thanks for all your input,

Sy

Glad you got it resolved mate, and also glad he saw the error of his ways without the need for violence.

That lucky ba**ard with his apprenticeship *Envy*
life_brian_dungeon.jpg

You lucky lucky ba**ard

doody, i like your sense of humour. you should fit in well here. now go and watch some monty python. :21:

Reply to Apprentice - transport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net