Discuss Apprentice - transport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quickie.... want to see what others think and if I'm being unreasonable?

I pick up and drop off my apprentice from his home address on a daily basis. He lives 5 mins drive down the road so no problem really.

He recently started driving and have asked on a Monday each week if he could make his own way to the lock up (5 mins drive from his house/ parking fine) to get the van loaded up ready for the week. And I'll meet him there, simples really.

The response I got was..... "I'm not using my car for work"

Wasnt best please with that, and made it quite clear what I thought.

Any thoughts please ?

Cheers Sy

I wouldn't be impressed if I were you either, ungrateful sod, remind him off the sacrifices you are making by giving him the opportunity
to become an electrician!!

Driving to the lock up is NOT using his car for work. Its a 1 day a week commute to the lock up.

How secure is the parking at the lock up - assuming that he then leaves it there all day!

Just given the littler ******r a pay rise this week and thats the thanks I get ! Arrghhh

Parking is fine secure, no problem there what so ever.

Thought I was in the right, thanks for confirming that.

Best he has a think about what I've said over the weekend and does the right thing on Monday morning.

Things like this make me realise how lucky I am to have Darrel working for me, he never complains or objects to anything.

As Murdoch says, It's not "using it for work", it's commuting to a fixed place of work, once a week. If you were asking him to drive to the lock up and put everything in his car and drive it to the job then maybe (although I've often been expected to use my car for work and never really thought too much about it).

If he doesn't want to drive to work then fine, he can walk to work - it's not your problem how he gets there.

If it was stipulated in his contract of employment that transport would always be provided to and from his front door, you might have to give him a couple of weeks notice if you need to get someone who is more sympathetic to the changing needs of the business.

I agree with the others here mate..... sounds to me like he's had it to good for to long !!!
I know exactly what i would have said to him but unfortunately i can't swear on here lol.
Tell him if he does not want to use his "car" to work then he can buy a mountain bike instead then the ungrateful swine !!!

Just given the littler ******r a pay rise this week and thats the thanks I get ! Arrghhh

Parking is fine secure, no problem there what so ever.

Thought I was in the right, thanks for confirming that.

Best he has a think about what I've said over the weekend and does the right thing on Monday morning.

And remind him that there are loads of guys out there who would be grateful for the chance of a proper apprenticeship.
And that if he is not happy, then to move aside and make way for somebody else.

Pick him up from home. Charge him the 10 miles return trip as taxi fare £3/mile.

much the same as the others really. I can't see what the problem is. Its only one day a week after all.and it's only 5 mins! hopefully he makes the correct decision on Monday. Let us know the outcome.

If its any consolation, they are all the same

Expect everything on a plate, i refuse to pick the apprentice up from home, he lives 25 mins away from the office and his only way in is via me as i have a van and he lives 5 mins away from me or 10 minute walk and still cant get in on time !

I sometimes drop him off close to home if im running late and they look at you as if you walked into their house on xmas day and ****ed on his kids

When i was apprentice i walked every single day with tools in tow, rain, snow etc.. and if i got a lift in or dropped off it was seen as a nice bonus !

Spoilt Brat's spring to mind!!
We probably seem like extras from an Hovis advert but they really have no concept of hard work or compromise.

Big problem is independance, maturity and that sense of being a burden to someone and being self sufficiant

I absolutley detest being a burden to anyone and always have done, which again boils down to independance, i have not met a apprentice yet who has any form of independance

Big problem is independance, maturity and that sense of being a burden to someone and being self sufficiant

I absolutley detest being a burden to anyone and always have done, which again boils down to independance, i have not met a apprentice yet who has any form of independance

Good point but can you say independance a few more times lol

This has really got me fuming..... going to sleep on it otherwise I'll end up giving him another earful down the phone in a minute.

We'll see what happens on Monday and I'll keep you posted.

They are just a different breed to us lot when we were younger.
I called in to my local cafe last week, and while waiting for my sausage and hard egg on toasted bread, I glance over to a table to see 2 approx 17-18 year old's sat across from each other having breakfast both had their iphone's on the table next to the plates texting and giggling. not once did either one look up from the phone to speak to the other one. Like a pair of pet mong's

Reply to Apprentice - transport in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net