Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. diyterry

diyterry Trying to make sense of a confusing world

Hello. I am extending my bathroom, but one of the walls that will be incorporated into the bathroom has a socket fitted. Is this allowed in a bathroom or is it best to remove the socket and fit a cover?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Michael Sands

Michael Sands Regular EF Member

Yes is the simple answer but has to be at least 3 meteres from zones but best to get rid of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. diyterry

5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    3 miles from zone 1? that's in the local pub.

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

If you were to do it yourself, you cannot just connect them together and plaster over the joint. You could replace the socket with a blank plate, however.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. stevethesparks

stevethesparks Electrician's Arms

Designate your bath as a swimming pool, and as long as its rcd protected you can reduce the distance to 2 metres. :)
    I am kidding of course but it's in the regs 702.53ii a socket outlet is permitted in zone 2 and that's 2 metres from the edge of the pool

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. diyterry

Thank you, could you recommend a suitable maintenance free junction box?

10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Starting to get step by step. You could just Goggle that for yourself. Still think your best bet is to employ a sparks. Whats £**'ish matter in new bathroom build?

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Taylortwocities

Google WAGO
    btw, the junction does not need to be maintenance free- it will be under a (removable) blank plate.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Resu

Resu Forum Mentor

He said he's re-plasterboarding, so it will be behind the wall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Taylortwocities

Then he needs to remove the cables from the wall completely as there will not be anything denoting the presence of cables in the wall.

@diyterry@diyterry Do the cables come up from the floor or down from the ceiling?

14. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Leave the socket where it is...get a toaster...start living life on the edge,dude ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. johnduffell

johnduffell Regular EF Member

I gave you a Funny because it's one of those situations where doing it just before knocking down the wall wouldn't be notifiable, but after would.
    Anyway, not a lot of people realise that replacing a bathroom is classed as building work under the building regulations and should be notified to the local building control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1