• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello. I am extending my bathroom, but one of the walls that will be incorporated into the bathroom has a socket fitted. Is this allowed in a bathroom or is it best to remove the socket and fit a cover?

13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.[/QUOTE
13A socket outlets are permitted providing they are not less than 3m from the boundary edge of zone 1.
Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?

'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.

Designate your bath as a swimming pool, and as long as its rcd protected you can reduce the distance to 2 metres. :)
I am kidding of course but it's in the regs 702.53ii a socket outlet is permitted in zone 2 and that's 2 metres from the edge of the pool

'Thank you for your quick reply. The socket is too close to zone 1. Behind the socket three cables converge, bearing in mind that I am replacing the plasterboard in that area what is the best method of connect the cables together?'

Either use the existing back box, suitable connectors and a front plate or a suitable maintenance free junction box. Any further information, would be a step by step guide, which is against forum rules.

I'd consider employing a competent electrician. Such work could be notifiable to local building control.
Thank you, could you recommend a suitable maintenance free junction box?

Such work could be notifiable to local building control.
I gave you a Funny because it's one of those situations where doing it just before knocking down the wall wouldn't be notifiable, but after would.
Anyway, not a lot of people realise that replacing a bathroom is classed as building work under the building regulations and should be notified to the local building control.

Reply to Are mains sockets permitted in bathrooms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back