Discuss Bad day yesterday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickys86

I had a bad day yesterday and was just gonna forget about it but I wanna know if it was just me.

Before I start I just wanna clarify, I didn't listen to the builder in any shape or form. I'm the electrician, not him

So I have to wire the kitchen. It is only the third kitchen I would've have wired and I'm still learning. The last kitchen I did was a couple of weeks back for the same builder, same client. they are very good clients who gives my boss an awful lot of work. The last kitchen plan I was given was on a piece of plasterboard. Just scribbled down. It was all fine but when they came to fit the kitchen, with the plaster board and plaster they was out by 150mm so there was a bit of a balls up.
This time they didn't want that mistake so the kitchen plan is coming after the plasterers are done? I was told the oven is going there, microwave is going there, fridge there and dishwasher is either on that wall or that wall. Can you put in two supplies just in case. He just pointed at the spaces and gave no measurements.
The other problem was that they don't want any isolator switches on show, they want them in the cupboards. My boss isn't best pleased but compromised that they go in cupboards next door to appliances but on the side close to the cupboard doors so they can't ever be blocked in, how can I do that when I don't know where the cupboards are.
Also I wasn't given any information on the appliances, ie the hob or oven or microwave oven so how do I know what cable to run in?
I spoke to my boss and he said you can't do it without the plan. And he said not to run in two supply points for the dishwasher. The builder just told me to stop being a prat and get on with it. Coupled up with being tired, yesterday wasn't my best day.
That being said I feel better knowing I can chat to you guys and I'm still looking forward to going to work on Monday :)

What do they expect you to do,for goodness sakes its simple on there side,they give you a layout with dimensions on a kitchen plan or they give you a crystal ball,have a couple of beers and feel in in the knowledge that you are not the only sparks who this will happen to,so if we give a builder a bit of platerboard and say build a house based on what we have jotted down would he accept it,i guess not,anyways its saturday,get some beer down,builders the prat,he should know that helping make your job go smoothly makes his go smoothly too,everyones happy

Ahh the owld smoke packet job, had a few of them, best thing to do which is what i do is get the customer/builder to mark on the walls where its going, then on a piece of paper write

Builder specified dimensions of where electrical outlets should be placed, electrician takes no responsibility if incorrect and charges will incur for alteration

Signed by both parties

When I do a kitchen I draw the entire kitchen out on the walls so i know whats going where. Impossible to do without a kitchen plan, should of just walked away

Ahh the owld smoke packet job, had a few of them, best thing to do which is what i do is get the customer/builder to mark on the walls where its going, then on a piece of paper write

Builder specified dimensions of where electrical outlets should be placed, electrician takes no responsibility if incorrect and charges will incur for alteration

Signed by both parties

Yep, i get client to mark an X written on it is whatever is required, no X, no wiring simples

As already stated give the builder a can of spray paint and he can mark the points. Take a few photos of his markings and start chiseling, that way when everything's six inches out of place you can get him to remark the stuff whilst he's signing the variation orders with his other hand :)

Well heres what I'd do...
We all have to work with poor/non existent plans from time to time...thats life
Find out where they want the double sockets above work top and chase em in than just leave a long ring pair loose under each bank of base units thats gonna have machines, run in a 6mm for the hob and a 2.5 radial for the oven (if its single) and again, leave em long and loose on the floor roughly where they are needed.
This way when you come to second fix you can just pull yer ring out from under the cupboard and poke it into whatever cupboards want isolators/sockets in em, then just drill a 50mm hole through the back panel to bring the plugs in from the machines.
With diversity theres not much chance of a 6mm being inadequate for a hob or a 2.5 for a single oven.

Now I know that your not 'supposed' to put accessories in kitchen cupboards but who cares....everyone does it....I do it as a rule... its quicker, easier, looks better and gives flexibility on second fix.

As my old scottish college tutor used to say "we all dae et, but yeer nae suppoooosed te dea et"

Trouble is....

Sparky : Can I see the plans please Mr Builder?

Builder : Whatever for? Dave, my NICE electrician, just pulls in plenty of cable somewhere near and we decide later on. Stop making such a fuss and get on with it....

Reply to Bad day yesterday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net