Discuss board change prerequisite in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Being an electrician is ha rd. Being a chippy is ha rd. Ticking a box is easy. thinking you is electrician in 5
Weeks is easy
Sun is getting to me, about time too.summer is here
Cornish small man.

Being an electrician is ha rd. Being a chippy is ha rd. Ticking a box is easy. thinking you is electrician in 5
Weeks is easy
Sun is getting to me, about time too.summer is here
Cornish small man.

Totally agree. My apprenticeship, just like any trade of old, was 4 years long, and it was after this time that you really started to learn the trade properly. A 5 week training course is to give you an idea of the basics, it is NOT an apprenticeship, regardless of the views of some politicians. :)

Nobody else is allowed to sign it off as it is your work.

and yet a QS can sign off work done by other sparks from the same company without even going near the job ??
you should change your name to drummer as you keep banging on with the same statements.
;-D

A QS can sign work off because he works for the organisation which has carried out the work. If I were a member of CPS I would be allowed to sign off my work and no one else's.
If I had people working for me however, then I can sign off their work as it is assumed that I am supervising them

It seems that the only people they try to prosecute is the people who use a scheme providers logo when not registered.

I would love to see more part P prosecutions but I cannot see it happening in the scheme of things.
The problem is that many sparks have to pay for the part p do not have a level playing field against to rouge sparks or the DIYer.

Maybe a control on the purchasing of consumer units so they cannot be sold without scheme ID - ok it would not stop a black market but it will add an element of control I guess

Why not get rid of Schemes and Part P and have licenced electricians who register with the JIB their qualifications and Grade card plus they have to also register their PL and PI insurance as well after that the law and the consumer protection act is in place ie get taken to court for say negligence or bad workmanship then you get your licence revoked this would stop the DIYers and the dodgy sparks and at the same time get the schemies to concentrate on training. If a customer wanted to see you were ligit they could log on to an JIB electricians directory

Or is this too simple ?

A QS can sign work off because he works for the organisation which has carried out the work. If I were a member of CPS I would be allowed to sign off my work and no one else's.
If I had people working for me however, then I can sign off their work as it is assumed that I am supervising them

in other words its ok to sign off others work so long as you pay extra scheme fees for the privilige.

;-)

Maybe a control on the purchasing of consumer units so they cannot be sold without scheme ID - ok it would not stop a black market but it will add an element of control I guess
Cracking idea mate, while we're on we'll ban the sale of text books, car parts, copper pipe, timber, tiles, plaster, bricks etc etc etc to stop all DIY.
Can't see that happening, can you?

Cracking idea mate, while we're on we'll ban the sale of text books, car parts, copper pipe, timber, tiles, plaster, bricks etc etc etc to stop all DIY.
Can't see that happening, can you?

They control the sale of certain gas hoses and boiler parts for sale only to a Gas Safe Engineer.
Gas you can smell - water you can feel, but electricity can kill suddenly if the right circumstances arise as well as cause fire.
I just feel having a control measure in place adds an obstacle.

Sky, I'm sorry mate but you're fooling yourself. I can walk into Plumb Center and as long as I can pay I can walk out with a boiler, a stack of pipe and a few radiators any time I like with no questions asked. There are ads in the Sunday papers selling everything you need to put a heating system in, once again no questions asked.
I could go and buy a load of text books to educate my children without the need for any of those school things and I can do a mechanic out of a job by working on my vehicle, granted the vehicle would be required by law to have an annual inspection but that requirement still doesn't stop a lot of people disregarding it.
The same goes with any of the other things I mentioned.
These are the very same things that you are complaining about with regard to our trade, while I agree with you to a point can you honestly see the huge businesses involved in all things DIY allowing the government to cut off massive slices of their revenues?

Well, luckily we've always got these chaps to fall back on if things go wrong.

Repair.jpg

and yet a QS can sign off work done by other sparks from the same company without even going near the job ??
you should change your name to drummer as you keep banging on with the same statements.
;-D

And you manage to keep banging on with the same old insults....
Personally, I don't agree with the QS system at all, as we all know it is abused. What I am stating is the legal position for the OP. If they choose to ignore that, then that's their call...

The three part EIC has been around for a number of years.
There are many Installations where hundreds of electricians have taken part in the installation work.
To expect each electrician to sign off their own bit of work is ridiculous.

Ok, now I understand the predicament that is presented. Also I am aware that with regard to the 'legalities' involved it's a no-brainer. Yet it seems to me, that yes whilst I have gone through a short course I am not one to overlook issues that are presented. I am currently working with an experienced electrician who would be happy to help me out and do what needs to be done, yet this would cost money. I was just curious as to whether the qualifications and experiences I have picked up so far would be able to get put to use for a good cause.
However I see that regardless of the technicalities of the work to be undertaken, the legalities overall this. All I was inquiring was could I help make their home safer without having to charge them an arm and a leg.
Basically what this thread has said is yes I could do this and make their home a safer place, but without notifying it I would be held liable given a certain set of circumstances presented themselves.

Also note that after looking at their house, it would appear that someone has put an archway in and gone through a cable with a nail/screw to secure the plasterers mesh which has made this section live, it also appears the earth has been broken thereby making a metal light switch to also become live as I found when switching the light. So a 17th ed board is not top of the priority list anymore.

Thanks for all you kind words anyway guys (and girls if there are any but that seems unlikely)

Reply to board change prerequisite in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net