Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss bonding conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. johnny999

johnny999 Guest

I went to look at a system today, a house with a granny flat attached, separate supplies, meters, boards etc, no gas or oil into either property but when I looked at the water the main house had bonding where it came into the property but the flat didn't. On further investigation, where the water comes into the main house it branches of through the wall into the flat ( approx distance of 2 feet ), the flat water pipes are effectively bonded to the main house board. Not sure how to go about this, if I install bonding from the flat board to where the water comes in the flat i will be "linking" both boards together!! If i leave it as it has been for years how do I fill out the paper work as it will have no bonding. Has anybody come across this or can anyone with better knowledge than me help me out.
    regards

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    THE WATER PIPES IN THE FLAT ARE BONDED IN THE HOUSE. NOM NEED TO CONNECT TO FLAT cu. JUST VERIFY BONDING IS INTACT WITH A WANDER LEAD.

oops, cap lock.

3. bobby101

bobby101 Guest

hi quick question you sa seperate supplies sorry to contradict but is it two seperate main incoming supplies with their own cable head fuse or is it one cable head with more than one fuse at main incomer ..?

4. tony mc

tony mc Electrician's Arms

IMO the flat should have its own bonding as it has its own supply and meter !

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

If there are separate supplies, then this would be no different to neighbouring installations in a street terrace.

6. TPES

TPES Regular EF Member

It Is a strange one, you'd have to just note on the cert that there is a bond to the water and the incoming service is in the house.. I can't see my annual assessor faulting that.

7. stuartr

stuartr Active EF Member

IMO its two seperate installations so both water mains should be bonded,no different to terraced houses

8. TPES

TPES Regular EF Member

Did I read it wrong... There is only one water service providing both the house and the flat... One service, one bond

9. stuartr

stuartr Active EF Member

If the flat has its own meter then it must have a separate address,therefore it is two separate installations with an incoming water supply to each,ie the flat water main is received from beyond the equipotential zone and making it an incoming service which would require bonding?

10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and if someone were to fit plastic between the house and flat at some time in the future, maybe due to a burst pipe, the flat would then have no bonding .

• Like Like x 2
  11. johnny999

johnny999 Guest

two separate supplies two separate heads & two separate meters, only thing connecting house & flat is the brick wall & the water. ( both properties owned by main house occupier )
    regards

12. johnny999

johnny999 Guest

one water service for both house & flat everything else is separate

13. johnny999

johnny999 Guest

it does have its own address 38a, it has its own supply & head, the water main enters into the main house, 38, has a meter & stop tap, then splits into two, one branch goes off & supplies the house & the other goes through the connecting wall into the flat, with another stop tap just inside the flat then carries on to supply the flat. The bonding on the water mains where it enters the house is approx 2 ft from where the branch enters the flat ( just a wall separates it )

14. TPES

TPES Regular EF Member

One incoming service requires one main bond, why put 2 bonds on the same incoming service only 2ft apart on the same copper pipe?

15. stuartr

stuartr Active EF Member

Oh well next time i do an EICR and find the is no main bond to the water i will check next door,if theres is bonded i can tick satisfactory then?