Discuss BONDING METAL WORKTOPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If It's not likely to bring in an earth from outside (extraneous) then no.
Thanks. All surfaces are metal so exposed and conductive. They could become live under fault conditions say a wire in piece of kitchen equipment was torn. So I would say yes extraneous.There are supply copper pipes in the kitchen which are bonded. Was thinking cud fit to them.

Thanks. All surfaces are metal so exposed and conductive. They could become live under fault conditions say a wire in piece of kitchen equipment was torn. So I would say yes extraneous.There are supply copper pipes in the kitchen which are bonded. Was thinking cud fit to them.
So could a metal chair or a knife.

I would say no, bonding not required.

Also, are they not movable counters, most commercial kitchens the work tops can be moved to help with cleaning down etc.
so therefore being mobile how would you attach wires to them?

These would most certainly NOT be extraneous conductive parts.

Unless the kitchen surfaces themselves extend externally and to the ground itself.

However I would consider them an extension of exposed conductive parts, and require supplementary bonding.

But it very much depends on circumstances, movable tables no, but if it is a complete kitchen fitted worktop with appliances resting on or adjacent to it I would add supplementary

Unless the kitchen surfaces themselves extend externally and to the ground itself.

However I would consider them an extension of exposed conductive parts, and require supplementary bonding.

But it very much depends on circumstances, movable tables no, but if it is a complete kitchen fitted worktop with appliances resting on or adjacent to it I would add supplementary
Julie that is great. Getting my head around meaning of extraneous. Some of the worktops are built in and others movable but have not been moved in 20 years. There is fixed equipment on the tops. There is pipework which has good bonding. Was considering connecting to this pipework as the DB is 25m away. I did a PAT last month and the the condition of some of the equipment was awful. Failed 3 items. Not a good environment for a metal surface.

Julie that is great. Getting my head around meaning of extraneous. Some of the worktops are built in and others movable but have not been moved in 20 years. There is fixed equipment on the tops. There is pipework which has good bonding. Was considering connecting to this pipework as the DB is 25m away. I did a PAT last month and the the condition of some of the equipment was awful. Failed 3 items. Not a good environment for a metal surface.
Bonding is covered in 415.xx I am not sure just picking up a connection from pipework is suitable.

I thought an exposed conductive part would need to be earthed, not bonded.

If an exposed conductive part, it requires earthing.
Is an extraneous conductive part, it requires bonding.
If neither of the above, it requires neither earthing nor bonding

Reply to BONDING METAL WORKTOPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net