Discuss Broken switch on night storage heater - fixable?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The General

Well, firstly I ought to say that I think it's a broken switch!

I've checked that power is getting to the switch, but when you turn the dial and it 'clicks' there is still no power output in the returning line down to the elements.
I can't see what else it could be? Open to offers though...

So,
Customer has asked me to fix it if possible.

Is it possible?
I must make it clear that I'm not an electronics engineer and I'm pretty new to the whole domestic installation game, so soldering/intricate fiddly wiring is not for me. However, if you can buy a straight drop-in replacement then I ought to be able to cope!

It's a Dimplex model XL12N if that helps.

If it's not possible the customer has got a couple of old heaters that are gathering rust in the shed, so they want me to replace it, but I'd hate to go through all that work if I can just drop a new switch into the existing one (particularly as I don't even know if the other ones work!!)

any suggestions?
thanks in advance!

probably....... it's an obsolete model, sir. no spares available, but we can supply you with a nice shiny new model for £££££££££

So you assume that the switch is faulty but it sounds like you didn't test it and you didn't check the full circuit out and check the over temperature device hasn't operated then.

I sense that phrase is going to be used soon

So you assume that the switch is faulty but it sounds like you didn't test it and you didn't check the full circuit out and check the over temperature device hasn't operated then.

I sense that phrase is going to be used soon

hence why I'm seeking advice from more experienced people on a forum like this!

over temperature device? - pray tell me more......

I checked that power was coming in up to the incoming terminal of switch, but once operated there was no output on the return terminal back to the element - so perhaps naively I have assumed that the switch is dodgy?

Dimplex were actually very helpful in providing part number etc, so a new Thermostat & Cut-out assembly can be on it's way to me easily enough if that is the problem.

So, enlighten me:
How to actually 'test' the switch itself? I can see the mechanical operation is working and the contacts are being made, so what else do I need to look for? genuinely, I'm all ears! :bigear:

Continuity - isolate the supply, then check continuity through the switch. I take it you have test equipment?

yup.

But surely if there was continuity through the switch then there'd be a voltage at the outgoing terminal?!?

unless you mean measuring continuity across two other points - I'd assumed you meant across the incoming/outgoings terminals...

I am suggesting that you do a dead test on the switch to check the resistance between the incoming terminal and the outgoing terminal on the switch. So far you have only done a live test for voltage. Check for resistance and operate the switch to confirm the switch is actually switching the circuit on/off.

This is pretty rudimentary stuff. Are you sure that you are competent enough to be working as an electrician?

I am suggesting that you do a dead test on the switch to check the resistance between the incoming terminal and the outgoing terminal on the switch. So far you have only done a live test for voltage. Check for resistance and operate the switch to confirm the switch is actually switching the circuit on/off.

This is pretty rudimentary stuff. Are you sure that you are competent enough to be working as an electrician?

Perhaps not, but at least I'm smart enough to know when to ask for help rather than just bodging a job and hoping for the best!
The only way to learn is to ask questions, and it is becoming clearer every day that the course I did had quite a lot of gaps in it.....
I'm doing my best to plug those gaps as quickly as possible, but learning on the job is part of that process!

anyway, back to the matter in hand..

I'm still not sure that I understand why measuring the resistance across the switch will tell me anything different to what I already know?!
Surely if there was even a hint of continuity then when a voltage is applied there would be some sort of output?
Feel free to tell me to go back to school, but my understanding is that even if there is a high resistance there'd be some sort of current?

I just don't see what measuring the continuity across the switch is going to tell me that I don't already know? The circuit is not being completed within the switch, because if it was then there'd be an outgoing voltage....

unless of course I've got completely the wrong end of the stick, which is entirely possible.

Reply to Broken switch on night storage heater - fixable?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net