Discuss Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The wiring in 13A plug will always tend to be roughly in the same place, whatever the make of the plug, but in a socket the connections will be wherever the manufacturer decides, although they will be clearly marked.
You will probably find that there are two terminals for the earth connection, often in different places. You only need to connect to one, and that can be either one. If the socket is fitted in a metal box, you might also find a length of earth wire between the earth connection on the socket and a terminal at the back of the metal box. This wire can be connected to either earth terminal on your new socket, either the same one as you connect the incoming cable, or to the 'spare' one.
As for your RCD adaptor, I would definitely NOT recommend it. The plug and socket on it are both likely to be of poor design, and are likely to lead to overheating and damage again.
Are you sure the sockets in your house aren't already RCD protected at the fusebox? I've not installed a socket circuit without RCD protection since the mid '80s, although they weren't compulsory then, as they are now.

although they weren't compulsory then, as they are now.

Just a wee clarification here.

As professional electricians, it would be compulsory for us to upgrade a circuit to have rcd protection if it required it, as we are working on that particular circuit.
As a homeowner, it is not compulsory that it must be fitted if no other work was being done, only a recommendation.

To the OP.
That is quite a black mark, I’m even surprised water from cleaning has managed to produce such damage.

I’m expecting the property to still be on rewirable fuses looking at that.

I know it can be quite expensive, but I would advise you have an electrician look at it. It might put your mind at rest knowing everything is as safe as it can be.

Anyone on the forum in the North West? Just slightly too far for me.

Just a wee clarification here.

As professional electricians, it would be compulsory for us to upgrade a circuit to have rcd protection if it required it, as we are working on that particular circuit.
As a homeowner, it is not compulsory that it must be fitted if no other work was being done, only a recommendation.

To the OP.
That is quite a black mark, I’m even surprised water from cleaning has managed to produce such damage.

I’m expecting the property to still be on rewirable fuses looking at that.

I know it can be quite expensive, but I would advise you have an electrician look at it. It might put your mind at rest knowing everything is as safe as it can be.

Anyone on the forum in the North West? Just slightly too far for me.
I had those tiles on the first house I bought in 1979, and the fuseboard had rewireable fuses 🙂

I had those tiles on the first house I bought in 1979, and the fuseboard had rewireable fuses 🙂

Whenever I see those tiles, takes me back to the family home of my childhood where they adorned the kitchen and bathroom. It also had (still does) a rewireable fusebox... maybe they were a package deal???

I have seen those tiles in hyundreds of homes. Generally referred to as "chicken tiles" because there is a sort of outline of a chicken on them. They came in several colours, I mean the tiles were basically a white background but the chickens came in black, blue, green, maroon and yellow.

Reply to Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net