Discuss Bypass pactrol weather watcher in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

martin704

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a faulty pactrol weather watcher which controls the night storage heaters this is now obsolete and I can't find a replacement anywhere. My question is can this be removed and bypassed.
I already have a e7 meter that does the switching so can the weather watcher be linked out so the meter activates the contactor for the Off-peak board.
Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Presumably the contactor switching your off-peak board by the Pactrol device is your property, and is not a DNO supplied switch?
I would have thought the safest way would be to install a timer to operate the contactor, making sure the timing is set to tally with the E7 period.
I'm not sure you would be allowed to take a feed from the meter -that's DNO property!

Hi yes the contactor is mine it's not the DNOs. The meter I have already has the switched neutral feed coming out the meter for Off-peak. It then goes into a fuse (only the neutral wire) and a connection box which comes out in 2.5 T+E that splits off into the weather watcher that activates the contactor.
But as the weather watcher is broken the contactor is not being energized.
I did already think of replacing it with a timed switch but as the meter already switches itself over to Off-peak I would have to have a permanent supply to run the timer. but the switching would have to be done on the neutral as I only have a switched neutral (for Off-peak) coming from the meter.

Reply to Bypass pactrol weather watcher in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an outbuilding that he uses as an art studio, the building is fully insulated and is currently heated by...
Replies
Views
Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me...
Replies
Views
I've a 3 phase storage heater currently wired to the main fuse box in an office I have. The heater has 2 supplies/isolators, 1 for charging at...
Replies
Views
Been round to a house to quote to replace some storage heaters for new panel heaters and came across a strange (to me at least) way of wiring the...
Replies
Views
Good day readers, if any,I am an old sparky, a very old sparky. I can remember old Faraday giving us lectures Wednesday evenings at evening...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock