Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Can I drill anywhere on this wall? in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Hdeep

Hdeep EF Member

Hello clever people
    Hope you can help. We have our consumer box in our downstairs toilet, right in the top corner. I want to put up a small shelf above the sink, a mirror and a toilet roll holder on the same wall, but I'm worried about wires when drilling holes. I do have one of those live wire detectors, but it's temperamental (or I don't use it properly, probably).

Would there anywhere I could safely drill on this wall?

Hopefully I've attached a picture.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_20180706_111836.jpg

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Get yourself something like these to check for pipes and cable buried in the wall
    Cable, Metal & Stud Detectors | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/test-measurement/electrical-test-equipment/cable-metal-stud-detectors/?cm_mmc=UK-PPC-DS3A-_-google-_-DSA_UK_EN_Test_Measurement-_-Cable,%20Metal%20%26%20Stud%20Detectors-_-DYNAMIC%20SEARCH%20ADS&matchtype=b&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP0R5tBXXr-KuYkAjeRGcccww3H3aC7ZvrVYobHLHUydW7aLYyqMAlBoCjqIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would advise that you don't drill any holes directly below the fuseboard, right down to floor level, or horizontally to the left

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

The cables should be run in what we call 'safe zones'

I'm sure someone will be able to post a picture describing where they are. I don't have one to hand to post up.

As Pete has posted, these units are useful. As although cables should only be run in these places. It doesn't stop cowboys ignoring this.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

^^ safe zones weren't around 15+ years ago, so cables could be anywhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Looking at that board and the location of it. I wouldn't say the house is older than 15 years. Looks a lot like most new builds.

7. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

That can’t be a new build, that toilet is bigger than most modern living rooms...

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Hdeep

Hdeep EF Member

Thanks for your replies! House was built c2005 I believe, so were safe zones part of regulations then? I was thinking if I avoided those zones mentioned, and used my voltage finder thingy, I *should* be okay, but then I got to thinking about how many wires must be coming into this room and got a bit freaked out :grimacing: If anyone did have any links to a diagram of the safe zones, that'd be good to look at.
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but this toilet is a lower ground one (three storey house).
    Thanks again for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
  10. Hdeep

Hdeep EF Member

11. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

[​IMG]

This may or may not work. I've tried to attach an image of the safe zones.

However if you just Google 'electrical safe zones'you get plenty of info.

12. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Screen-Shot-2017-09-11-at-21.03.34.x93959.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

What type of internal walls do you have. Block & plastered, block & dot & dab plasterboard or stud walls with plasterboard?

• Like Like x 1
  14. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Is the location of the Meter / cutout relevant ?
    (as wondering how the tails typically get there to cu !)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    very likely to be water pipes above sink. they could be anywhere though. plumbers run pipes as if they were spaghetti. if your wall is dry-lined, drill carefully through the board, but only 1/2". then if ( with the drill OFF) prod to find the block. you can tel by the sound and at wat depth. generally the block will be about 1" gap from the board.

• Agree Agree x 2