Discuss Can I drill anywhere on this wall? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians have specific rules and regulations which govern where cables can and can't go, or failing that to automatically disconnect the supply if you still drill into one anyway.
Plumbers put their pipes where they please; if they're copper pipes the chances are they'll have notched out some joists or studs and put them just below the surface. Plastic pipes are easier to put in sensible places but you can't find them with a metal detector.
If you drill into a cable the electricity should disconnect to prevent you getting a shock; drill into a pipe and you need to find an isolator before your house floods.

Electricians have specific rules and regulations which govern where cables can and can't go, or failing that to automatically disconnect the supply if you still drill into one anyway.
Plumbers put their pipes where they please; if they're copper pipes the chances are they'll have notched out some joists or studs and put them just below the surface. Plastic pipes are easier to put in sensible places but you can't find them with a metal detector.
If you drill into a cable the electricity should disconnect to prevent you getting a shock; drill into a pipe and you need to find an isolator before your house floods.

Thank the lord for that...i have previously been quite ready for anything,in an unknown property,but am now pleasantly reassured that i can only make things damp...;)

Are those detectors really any good? Will they only detect metal?

The Zircon Multiscanner i520 Onestep is a superb piece of kit. It will locate metal, live cables and also studs and joists. Once the user has learned how to use the scanner correctly, it'll locate the dead-centre of studs and joists every time. Highly recommended!

The walls have metal studs with plasterboard over.

You can then make an exploratory hole, to see what services are present, where you wish to make a fixing.

There are several different types of plasterboard fixings you can obtain for different sorts of loads. Wouldn't bother trying to fix into the metal stud or track; you'll need appropriate screws and it might be just the place where a service will pass through. Even the most expensive detector multi function detector will struggle to distinguish between metal & live wires etc.

my solution.....

roughly in the centre of where you want the mirror, cot a decent sized hole in the board " about 3 -4". save the cut out bit.than with the aid of a small mirror and torch, see whats behind the board all round the hole. you ann then mark fixings if safe, and glue the cut out piece back before fixing the mirror.

^^ safe zones weren't around 15+ years ago, so cables could be anywhere

15 years seemed a bit short, so I looked it up.

BS 7671 : 1992, amendment 1, 1994 (sixteenth), 522-06-06 describes the 'safe' zones as currently defined. Can't find it in my copy of the fifteenth.

522-06-07 covers cables outside the zones; earthed conduit, mechanical protection, etc.

15 years seemed a bit short, so I looked it up.

BS 7671 : 1992, amendment 1, 1994 (sixteenth), 522-06-06 describes the 'safe' zones as currently defined. Can't find it in my copy of the fifteenth.

522-06-07 covers cables outside the zones; earthed conduit, mechanical protection, etc.

I was going on what I see on installations ............. rather than BS 7671!

my solution.....

roughly in the centre of where you want the mirror, cot a decent sized hole in the board " about 3 -4". save the cut out bit.than with the aid of a small mirror and torch, see whats behind the board all round the hole. you ann then mark fixings if safe, and glue the cut out piece back before fixing the mirror.
Or you could drill a small hole (about 20mm) and insert an inspection camera, which can sporadically be bought from Aldi for £69.99, and before you say that sounds a lot, nowadays that just about gets you a night at the pictures and a cab ride home.

As above, but really it's not hard to fix plasterboard, so cut down the length of 2 studs with a Stanley knife, in the area where you wish to fit the accessories, cut horizontally top and bottom and remove that rectangle/square, and then you will have a very good view of what runs where. Take a pic of the void for future reference, put the plasterboard back and fill it, sand and paint.
Never be afraid of opening up walls! It's not rocket science...plumbers do it all the time!
(Mind you, they use hammers, and leave it to the plasterers to make good...)

Reply to Can I drill anywhere on this wall? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net