Discuss Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

And I wouldn't faff around filling the chases after a rewire, that's what a plasterer is for lol.

I don't see how it takes any longer - on a new build I'll have subbed in a wall tracking company to do the donkey work. The wall's are floated out then skimmed no dot and dab here really. On a rewire, refurb or kitchen etc, the wall's would need tracked wider for capping and there is no faffing in trying to get screws or nails in for conduit

The chases have to be deeper, fixings for the conduit (instead of bag of nails), accessories are required for the back boxes & conduit is more expensive than capping.

Seems to me it takes more time & is more expensive.

The chases have to be deeper, fixings for the conduit (instead of bag of nails), accessories are required for the back boxes & conduit is more expensive than capping.

Seems to me it takes more time & is more expensive.
A bundle (30 lengths @3m) of PVC Light gauge conduit is approx £17+VAT. Looking at Screwfix capping is more expensive. (£12.50+VAT for 20 lengths @2m)
Securing conduit into the wall materials - I don't spend anything lol.

One run with the grinder set deeper would take seconds longer, same with chipping it out.

A bundle (30 lengths @3m) of PVC Light gauge conduit is approx £17+VAT. Looking at Screwfix capping is more expensive. (£12.50+VAT for 20 lengths @2m)
Securing conduit into the wall materials - I don't spend anything lol.

One run with the grinder set deeper would take seconds longer, same with chipping it out.

I don't buy much stuff from Screwfix, but I know that metal capping is cheaper than plastic conduit and male/female adaptors etc from my wholesalers.

123 I don't think your argument about costs, holds any water. You could argue it provides a better finish (I don't agree, have to say), but its certainly more expensive way to do it. But thats what you do there, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I was just interested as to why it was done.

PS In a new build, the walls will need deeper plaster, or chasing in, so more expense :D

I don't buy much stuff from Screwfix, but I know that metal capping is cheaper than plastic conduit and male/female adaptors etc from my wholesalers.

123 I don't think your argument about costs, holds any water. You could argue it provides a better finish (I don't agree, have to say), but its certainly more expensive way to do it. But thats what you do there, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I was just interested as to why it was done.

PS In a new build, the walls will need deeper plaster, or chasing in, so more expense :D
It's you that's arguing about costs lol. I think it's all much of a muchness cost wise. You don't need adaptors, you can get bang in clips for it if you wish but I don't.

The biggest cost is labour, and if a spark does the tracking, what a waste of money. I can get a decent sized new build 4 bed property tracked by a tracking firm for around £200.

It's you that's arguing about costs lol. I think it's all much of a muchness cost wise. You don't need adaptors, you can get bang in clips for it if you wish but I don't.

The biggest cost is labour, and if a spark does the tracking, what a waste of money. I can get a decent sized new build 4 bed property tracked by a tracking firm for around £200.

Come on, then I will drop it, why do you think we use capping over here, its down to being cheaper from materials & labour. Thats why as you've previously mentioned about not having dry lining over yours, here its about cost & less short term maintenance.

Come on, then I will drop it, why do you think we use capping over here, its down to being cheaper from materials & labour. Thats why as you've previously mentioned about not having dry lining over yours, here its about cost & less short term maintenance.
Settle petal. I'm equally as curious as to why you guys use capping as to you are as to why we don't.

I'm not sold on cost being the reason. You can get 4 bed new build turnkey houses around here for around £150k. Perhaps on new builds what is cheaper - capping or conduit - the answer is a timber framed new build thus neither?

Settle petal. I'm equally as curious as to why you guys use capping as to you are as to why we don't.

I'm not sold on cost being the reason. You can get 4 bed new build turnkey houses around here for around £150k. Perhaps on new builds what is cheaper - capping or conduit - the answer is a timber framed new build thus neither?
No you definitely can't

Closer to £250,000

No you definitely can't

Closer to £250,000
Up this way yeah you can, well usually. All the turnkey stuff sells pretty quickly. Was in the estate agents I do work for a few weeks and 4 bed semi turnkey was listed (and sold) at £149,950.
Just had a quick look on property pal, 3 bed semi £109k, 4 bed detached £175k.

Up this way yeah you can, well usually. All the turnkey stuff sells pretty quickly. Was in the estate agents I do work for a few weeks and 4 bed semi turnkey was listed (and sold) at £149,950.
Just had a quick look on property pal, 3 bed semi £109k, 4 bed detached £175k.
Revealed: The average house price in every part of Northern Ireland - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/property/northern-ireland-house-prices-region-15031660

I'm actually in the dearest region

So we're obviously both right ;)

Yep, 20mm light gauge round conduit. Builders etc would be horror stricken if you used capping here. On the plus side I bought a bundle of capping 8 years ago, I still have about 20 lengths of it left:tearsofjoy:
I still have a few lengths of capping left from a one-off impulse buy quite a few years ago too :)

Reply to Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net