Discuss capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am amazed at how tough metal capping is, you try putting capping nails or clout nails in and in invariably your hammer will bounce of and you have made very impact to it. You put your sds into it for a rawplug and it takes for ever to penetrate it.

But you give a householder a picture hook with a flimsy little nail in it and they will go through it first time no problem.

I am amazed at how tough metal capping is, you try putting capping nails or clout nails in and in invariably your hammer will bounce of and you have made very impact to it. You put your sds into it for a rawplug and it takes for ever to penetrate it.

But you give a householder a picture hook with a flimsy little nail in it and they will go through it first time no problem.
Very True, but try doubling it up, you will be surprised how tough it is then.

Yeah, I get that but we're talking about cables at a depth <50mm and no RCD. What about what the regs say about suitable protection? Daz

Cables buried in walls <50mm don't need protection when they have either an RCD or an earthed metal screen suitably sized to carry fault current such as: Steel conduit, SWA, Pyro, BS8436 etc...

Without these then yes, they do need protection.

must be an earthed metal screen though. btw, well done testerday, mate. time someone spoke out against the parasites and the under trained.

Cables buried in walls <50mm don't need protection when they have either an RCD or an earthed metal screen suitably sized to carry fault current such as: Steel conduit, SWA, Pyro, BS8436 etc...

Without these then yes, they do need protection.

That was kind of what I was getting at in my post (#16). Daz

Seriously why bother with capping, more expense and time. See the point on new builds, but on rewires and refurbs why not chase and clip (C) rather than capping which must in theory derate the cable to B. I always use the same plasterer who understands my needs and have have never had an insulation resistance test fail.

That was kind of what I was getting at in my post (#16). Daz

It looked to me like you were struggling with the concept of earthed metal capping, maybe I understood wrong.

My main point being throughout is that earthed metal capping serves exactly the same function as an earthed metal screen :)

I was sort of agreeing with Tel's post (#6). A lot of people still seem to think that the metal capping is to give mechanical protection. Daz

can't see anyone taking the time to earth a dozen or more cappings compared to the cost of a RCD/RCBO. even with steel conduit, unless it's used as cpc, it would be earthed from the knock-out box, but i would assume a fly lead would need to be fitted so as not to be relying on the soxket pins.

Use an ordinary twist drill bit - not and sds bit for masonry - and you'll put a hole through it no trouble at all

The standard sds bits we use will fly threw capping? That's how we fix it on new builds with concrete block work plug and screw using an sds but rewires tend to use oval as less of a chase

As Im clearly faster than everyone on here at rewiring I shall reveal my methods of capping :)

I use plastic where possible, for a double socket I drill 1 fixing hole just below the socket. I jam the bottom of the capping down the chase behind the skirting and fix the top of the plastic capping with one screw straight through the side of the capping into the predrilled raw plug. Quick easy and neat.

When I have a few cables in a raggle I use metal capping with an earth flyer. Reason being, its more rigid and holds the cable in place. I screw straight through the edge of the capping with a battery gun and into the predrilled hole ( get the right screws and the right posi bit and you can screw straight through capping without pre drilling) A full length metal capped raggle can be held in place with 2/3 screws if done correctly. If its the main raggle with all circuits to board , Ill fix all-round band at a few points and use that to hold the capping.

see....thats how I rewire in 2 days :) clipping every cable with T&E clips? screwing with hand drivers ? ......stop now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What method do you use for earthing the capping? Daz

Reply to capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net