• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Changing from Related Meters to Combined in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CJH19

-
Reaction score
I'm reaching out to try and figure out a best way forward to update the metering in my flat. From the looks of things, we've got two totally separate supply & metering systems - one with what I think is an old timer and that meter is on an economy 10 tariff for storage heaters (on the RHS) and then another for all other power on a standard tariff (on the LHS).

Changing from Related Meters to Combined IMG_1782.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Having two separate meters means we're paying two standing charges and I'm not sure how good value the economy 10 tariff is any more. Either way it feels like we're paying more than we should for a 1 bed flat so we're trying to figure out a way of updating the system and hopefully saving some on bills. What do you think is the best way forward to modernise the setup? Can the two circuits be combined and run through one E7 combi meter? How would the storage heater timing controlled? Any thoughts would be hugely helpful.

if you get a dual tariff meter installed, all electric used between 12 midnight and 7 a.m. will be at the E7 rate you'd still need a timer for the heaters but you could also then have them come on for a short time on daytime tariff when it's really cold. you'd need both Dis. boards connecting the the dual tariff meter rather than 2 separate meters. either way, speak to your supplier. don't be conned into a smart meter even if they tell you you must have one. it's a lie.

My recollection of E10, was that you got 7 hours between 00:00 and 07:00, but the other 3 hours chosen during the evening by the supplier, so they could get the cheapest rate.

I'm reaching out to try and figure out a best way forward to update the metering in my flat. From the looks of things, we've got two totally separate supply & metering systems - one with what I think is an old timer and that meter is on an economy 10 tariff for storage heaters (on the RHS) and then another for all other power on a standard tariff (on the LHS).
why you at it speaking to the supplier giving you the elec ,ask them to pop round and put some seals on for you .

why you at it speaking to the supplier giving you the elec ,ask them to pop round and put some seals on for you .
and fill in the inspection labels the illiterate plumber could not achieve whilst his 2 brain cells were in mortal conflict.

MK breaker in a Hager board... that's atrocious and almost impossible to physically fit in.

Is the incoming cable the large MICC with the earth tag on it?

The supplier can obviously combine the two boards onto one meter, but for modernisation, you could replace your storage heaters with something much more efficient and controllable, have both boards on the 24hr supply and do away with the E10 completely.

Reply to Changing from Related Meters to Combined in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back