Discuss Cis, utr and ni number ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

solo2771

Hi all,
did some work for another spark last week and now he wants my utr and national insurance number to pay me under cis?
I only did 3 days work for him , I thought CIS was for long term sub contractors?
Am I wrong?
most of the work I do is on my own or for another contractor who never does it through CIS
Any thoughts?
Paul

If you did sub contract work, then its up to them to check your details before letting you loose on their job/s. So just send them a county court threat for payment

If the contract is a one off less than ÂŁ1,000, then chances are its cis exempt. Make sure he's not pulling a fast one and if he does pay you under the cis scheme make sure you receive proof of deduction. If in doubt phone customs and excise CIS scheme. And tell them the situation, then give them his name trading title and address or at least tell him youre going to get the situation checked out. Under the circumstances I would be suspicious. Good luck !
Also he might ask for your UTR, but your national insurance number W.T.F.???

Last edited by a moderator:
The ni number is official, he has right to ask for it...guess what 'under the prevention of terrorism act' and to prevent 'illegals' working in the uk. If you do not provide ni number, he does not have to pay you. (this should have been checked prior though)

The ni number is official, he has right to ask for it...guess what 'under the prevention of terrorism act' and to prevent 'illegals' working in the uk. If you do not provide ni number, he does not have to pay you. (this should have been checked prior though)

You need your NI details to register under the cis scheme, once registered you will be given a UTR which is all the contractor officially needs from a tax deduction point of view. If he wants to verify your identity, thats another issue, therefore a driving licence,passport,or possibly NI number may be required although without photo ID I cant really see where the NI number will help. Nope I am not convinced, still smell a rat. Hope he pays up.

http://charterconsultation.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cisrmanual/Pdfs/cis301.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a fair bit of work for a kitchen company and he always pays my tax under CIS.

Its a good idea from a self employed POV as its once less amount to pay at the end of the year.

As others have said, you could always check with IR to make sure he is registered to deduct.

It was the easiest government scheme to register for that i've ever done, It took five minutes on the phone I already had my unique tax reference number form my accountant before I rang, once you are registered the number stays the same and becomes you Cis number as well.

Hi all,
did some work for another spark last week and now he wants my utr and national insurance number to pay me under cis?
I only did 3 days work for him , I thought CIS was for long term sub contractors?
Am I wrong?
most of the work I do is on my own or for another contractor who never does it through CIS
Any thoughts?
Paul
Your utr number is all he needs.He will deduct 20% from your wage.Normally they never even give you a receipt.Your utr no is the same number that is on your income tax return (if you have ever done one)
You should add the letter K to the end of the number. The employer is legally bound to forward this deduction to the tax office on a monthly basis and it is easy enough to check with the tax office if this has been paid. There is a good chance that you can claim back all of it at a later date as it sounds like the rest of your work is cash in hand and your 60-80 quid that he will be deducting will hardly add up to your tax free allawance(your tax code x10)

I think the inland revenue tells the contractor how much to deduct
If you are cis and its confirmed he deducts the 20 per cent
If you are not its something like 25 or 30 per cent
Take what I say here with a pinch of salt because I cant confirm it though

As posted its a piece of p---s to join,if you go to the tax office with a photo and Id they will do it there and then

Its 30%. You can apply to be a gross something or other that allows you to take the tax from the person you are subcontracting too but it takes months to obtain and you have to be working for the same person for that time, I think don't quote me.

Just done this today...
Decided to sign off & go CIS to see if I can get in with a few more contractors. Took me 2xMins online to register with HMRC, when my UTR comes through (Not sure on time-scale) can call CIS help-line & they register me as a Subcontractor. The Contractor also has to register with CIS and pay 20% deducted from your full invoice. Without CIS, I'm certain you have to pay 30%...

I think I saw a form for Contractors that they complete for each deduction, seems easy enough both ways & as has been posted can always check with IR to see if Contractor has paid as I won't want any nasty surprises come Tax Return...

We receive statement of accounts and payments with any cis deductions recorded from all our customers we sub-contract for.As said, I would check the guy out with IR. Its nice to have the tax deducted at source cus theirs no nasty tax bill at the end of your financial year, and provided you have a good accountant a refund can pay his bill and put a few quid in your pocket to boot, very nice.;)

Reply to Cis, utr and ni number ? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net