Discuss Coding of non bs7671 cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m struggling to think of an application SY is actually suitable for!
We use it a lot in telecoms as it is very flexible and has better mechanical protection than double insulated. SWA can be tricky to get into some of the areas and equipment that is used, SY just fits straight in with very little manipulation.

I like working with SY apart from the braid sticking into the end of my fingers... Had it under the finger nails more than once... :mad:

Also very good for connecting to equipment where a bit of free movement is needed or where there's vibrating equipment.

Those are the normal reasonings but other cables are available. It’s completely useless in the wet or outside and is a terrible cable for VSD use.

Been asked to look connect a portacabin that is supplied by SWA to an isolator, whereupon SY has been used over a 5m run in the fabric of the cabin to supply a DB. The cable calcs all work out except for the use of the SY. Part of me thinks change it, but part of me thinks that copper is copper at the end of the day! What would you do?

connect it and just make a note on your EIC that you don't consider it ideal.

SY may not be recognised by BS 7671 yet it’s installation is still tested on tha AM2...

Looks like Eland cables - veriflex is compliant with BS standards. That Just makes it even more confusing than it already was/is.

20180613_083728.jpg

I have taken NAPIT to task over their blanket "ban" on SY, and they are looking at it.
Under certain conditions of external influence it is totally unsuitable.
Under other conditions of external influence it is very good.
It must be rated as per BS 6004 flex, or whatever the BS EN is for that now.
Also BS7671 does allow the use of HD's, EN's & equivalent national regulations for cable spec, and some SY is to DIN spec, some.
As has been said, totally unsuitable for use as a screened cable for VSD's, unless the cable manufacturer specifies it as such.
If you think about it, BS7671 stops at the point of connection of machinery etc. which would be the local isolator, so, after the isolator, for machinery, then different standards apply, and this is where it is better suited.
SWA, solid core and other 7 strand (class 2), wire is unsuitable for external influences AH, therefore the class 5 conductor of SY is more suitable for this, as in attachment to machinery etc.
As long as, it is correctly terminated.
Galnds, ferrules etc.

This is an old thread but I think what needs to be said is that there are lots of applications for cables out there to which BS7671 does not apply. Most people here being electricians, and the main thrust of their work being to supply electrical power to things, there is a tendency to visualise materials and methods in that context. People get used to BS7671 as being judge and jury of everything they do and they want a simple go / no-go as to whether something complies with that, and dislike 'grey areas.' In reality it's just one of hundreds of national and international electrical standards, any or all of which might be relevant to a cable or other material.

The fact that SY looks like it might be suitable for supplying a socket outlet, for example, is pure coincidence. In the UK we have a specification for cables for that job, which includes amongst other things the radial thickness of insulation. Normal SY has thinner insulation and therefore does not meet the specification. On the other hand, if a robust multicore is needed for connecting to some shaft encoders on a machine that vibrates, it might do a very good job.

To anyone who wants electrical regulations based on simple go / no-go rules, I urge you to read the USA's NEC. Personally I like the grey areas!

braided flex is just for items that are connected that get moved about their immediate vicinity often enough to warrant a more rigid flex for the increased "usage", as opposed to the butyl/flex that often never moves again until the appliance reaches the end of its life

some people do seem to think the braid offers protection from impact but it really doesnt at all

is fun to make one of those chinese finger traps with the braid though

Reply to Coding of non bs7671 cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net