Discuss Combi boiler & extractor fan in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, so someone decided to put a bathtub under a boiler and electric extractor fan. Half the bathtub is taken up by the boiler. It has a cupboard around the top and the sides, but the base and pipes going into the wall are exposed. More space will go if a shower mixer is installed and there is an extractor fan right above to worry about splashing.

I'm very unhappy with this. I'm sure if you don't electricute yourself, it's a concussion waiting to happen.

Is this legal? Should I get an inspection?

I think the bath would be there first and someone put a boiler above it?
Unless the bathroom has been remodelled.

Can the bathtub go anywhere else in the room.
A photo, or a drawn plan with sizes would be useful.

I just replied to your welcome post, so that can be ignored now you sent this.

I think the bath would be there first and someone put a boiler above it?
Unless the bathroom has been remodelled.

Can the bathtub go anywhere else in the room.
A photo, or a drawn plan with sizes would be useful.

I just replied to your welcome post, so that can be ignored now you sent this.

The bathtub/toilet are new but the boiler is nearly 10 years old. The landlord showed me safety certificates but I'm guessing it was done before the weird remodelling.

Ok. A landlord, so this is rented accommodation.

It certainly doesn’t sound within anyone’s regulations, and as you say, the danger of cracking your head when you get out the bath is enough to say it’s not safe.

Citizens advice could help with this, or your local council who the landlord should be registered with

According to Part 7 water heating appliances may be installed in zone 1. It must be suitable for use within zone 1 according to the manufacturers instructions.701.55

So you need to see what the make and model of the boiler is and look to see if the manufacturers have stated it is suitable for use within zone 1. You might be better off contacting them to get a definitive answer from them to pass onto your landlord.

Regardless of what the regulations and manufacturers say there should still be the application of common sense, this seems to be seriously lacking by bathroom fitters, closely followed by kitchen fitters.

All they had to do was put the bath along the other wall... o_O

Last edited:
That's what I thought. Even a shower cubicle would've been better but they ignored common sense.

Is it cheaper to move the boiler or bathtub?

I'd start practising gymnastics. Brush up on your forward rolls and double back flip. :)

Whats the rest of the place like?

I'd start practising gymnastics. Brush up on your forward rolls and double back flip. :)

Whats the rest of the place like?

The rest of the place is pretty decent but looks like the contractors were rushed. They painted over things or fitted switches with no supply.

I'll have to brush up on gymnastics, especially the landing, otherwise I might land on the sink :smile: or toilet :fearscream:

Reply to Combi boiler & extractor fan in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net