Discuss Competency to turn off (condemn) circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some years ago I came across a very and I do mean VERY dangerous installation,There were numerous issues that posed a threat to life and limb,however the guy didn't care and just wanted the power back on.There were young kids in the property and the situation did not sit well with me and I was unhappy leaving it as it was,then I spotted my way out.the meter tails were old VIR,s from the service head to meter and meter to CU,they were in such poor condition that they were bare in places,I removed the service fuse and rang the DNO,After outlining my concerns to one of their engineers(if you ever have a major issue just ask to speak to the duty engineer) he advised me that he had one of their men en route to the address in question and for me to leave and take the fuse with me,as it was their property not the householder,and if when his man got there,the installation was as bad as I had stated then the engineer would also remove the meter and it would not be replaced until an inspection certificate with all defects rectified was produced.The customer swore at me quite a bit,but I slept that night without having nightmares about burning houses and dead children.Incidentally the initial call was to a loss of power that had actually blown the service fuse,sometimes you just have to decide how far you are willing to go.

There is a lot of people with a lot of opinions about this matter and I rekon my opinion is probably the most diplomatic
Advise customer the circuit is unsafe and detail potential dangers (both verbally and written) make a record of findings, request permission to lock off circuit, if customer refuses get them to sign a disclaimer to cover your backside, place warning stickers/labels on CCU leaving circuit OFF but not locked out. Its then up to customer to energise circuit and if the gaff burns down at least you have performed your duty of care and have the evidence to back you up when HSE come sniffing. And at same time you havnt pi$$ed off the client.
Everyone's a winner.

A disabled friend Dave was told he had to have the boiler replaced as it was failing the pressure hold test. New boiler dully fitted it still failed but the plumber cleared off with £X000 in his pocket.
I traced the leak to a gas fire. Called the plumber and stood over him while he fixed the fire then invited him to come and have a word with Dave and I. He left minus a cheque for £1000. Dave’s sister in law ran a letting agency, said plumber lost all his work there as well.

The test formerly known as "Gas Soundness Test" - Now known as "Gas Tightness Test", :)

Some years ago I came across a very and I do mean VERY dangerous installation,There were numerous issues that posed a threat to life and limb,however the guy didn't care and just wanted the power back on.There were young kids in the property and the situation did not sit well with me and I was unhappy leaving it as it was,then I spotted my way out.the meter tails were old VIR,s from the service head to meter and meter to CU,they were in such poor condition that they were bare in places,I removed the service fuse and rang the DNO,After outlining my concerns to one of their engineers(if you ever have a major issue just ask to speak to the duty engineer) he advised me that he had one of their men en route to the address in question and for me to leave and take the fuse with me,as it was their property not the householder,and if when his man got there,the installation was as bad as I had stated then the engineer would also remove the meter and it would not be replaced until an inspection certificate with all defects rectified was produced.The customer swore at me quite a bit,but I slept that night without having nightmares about burning houses and dead children.Incidentally the initial call was to a loss of power that had actually blown the service fuse,sometimes you just have to decide how far you are willing to go.
just done a condition report with six 1s, seven 2s and four 3s identified within 10 mins...

the metering had been removed and the landlord had been told it would not be reinstated until the installation had been subjected to a full condition report and any findings rectified...

just done a condition report with six 1s, seven 2s and four 3s identified within 10 mins...

the metering had been removed and the landlord had been told it would not be reinstated until the installation had been subjected to a full condition report and any findings rectified...

We’re back to the DNO having statutory rights. Thank god Electrical Trainee’s don’t.

Reply to Competency to turn off (condemn) circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net