Discuss Competency to turn off (condemn) circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I caused a commotion on a decent homes programme a few years back, a woman had severe OCD and wouldn't allow any of us in here house because of the mess we'd generate so we waited until she went into hospital and her son let us in to do the periodic.

A list a defects as long as your arm was (legitimately) produced one of which was no earth facility, we had 2 days to rewire, install a kitchen and bathroom. You could barely swing a cat in that place when we were all at full speed.

Poor old bugger died during the night of day 2 so we needn't have busted a gut after all

Ah here he is ....... the voice of reason.

What took you so long bonny lad ......... a sleeping elephant on the road??

I'm supposed to be going out tonight and I don't anything clean to wear. If you've ever ironed a grass-skirt you'd know why I've been busy ;).

Right or wrong, we are not the Electrical Police, and therefore have no right in law, to deprive a customer the use of his private property. Them's the facts of the matter!!

As the old saying goes you can't educate pork, so all you can do is leave the offending circuit in a de-energised condition (MCB Off or fuse Removed from carrier) and issue a ''Danger Notice''!! If the customer then wishes to switch the MCB on, or replace the fuse in it's carrier, that's solely down to that person's actions, ...it's not your problem!! You as an electrician have complied with your Duty of Care....

A good example is what I came across 3 weeks ago. Landlord called, needs two broken light fittings re-newing + an EICR for a large 3 bed/two story flat above a shop (unoccupied). Got the keys and off I went, found the two shattered fittings, went to the C/U and opened it up straight away. This is a new board (12 months old) with burn marks on the wall above it!?!?

One of the Neutral bars is burning out. L-E and L-N = 141V on the tails. The main incomer is in the disused shop below with no iso switch in the flat and no access to the shop. The 12 way/duel RCD board in the flat is also feeding the shop below, I have no idea about the the state of the shop that has been standing dormant for years (about 7-9 years I think).......

Q. What would you do???

I turned off the C/U iso. Called the landlord and told him that the electrical installation is unsafe and needs a FULL investigation before a fire starts "I have commend it". I took a couple of pics of the board, sent him a few long texts and saved them all on my laptop to cover my back. I'm not the type of man to throw customers the "It needs a rewire" conversation but this place needs it before anyone lives in it, this is not a patch up job/just fix a couple of fittings type of thing. Told him my price, told him to get other quotes, told him (in the text messages as well) NOT TO TURN IT BACK ON. I think in a court of law that would stand...... BTW no phone call yet about the rewire but the door to the flat has been boarded up. He must be taking this seriously???

i don't think what you're legally allowed to do comes into it really (edit; generally and within reason). for example, i'm not legally allowed to grab a random child by the scruff of their neck and yank them backwards, but if that child was about to step out into the path of an oncoming vehicle, i'd do it without hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if there's an actual legally accepted wording of it if I'm honest. As long as you're saying in very clear language that circuit X is dangerous for the following reasons A B C
and it states that it should not be energised under any circumstances. Providing your client signs to acknowledge receipt of it then I'd say you'd be in the clear.
Could be wrong of course

And if I'm not locking the circuit, I put two 'Danger - do not switch on' notices on the point of isolation too, in case the person receiving the danger notice bins it and leaves it to someone else unsuspecting to switch the circuit back on. One has to be removed to get the breaker on, the other doesn't so that there's more of a chance that the warning will be there at a later date if the fault hasn't been rectified.

I caused a commotion on a decent homes programme a few years back, a woman had severe OCD and wouldn't allow any of us in here house because of the mess we'd generate so we waited until she went into hospital and her son let us in to do the periodic.

A list a defects as long as your arm was (legitimately) produced one of which was no earth facility, we had 2 days to rewire, install a kitchen and bathroom. You could barely swing a cat in that place when we were all at full speed.

Poor old bugger died during the night of day 2 so we needn't have busted a gut after all

Some people are so inconsiderate :D

Right or wrong, we are not the Electrical Police, and therefore have no right in law, to deprive a customer the use of his private property. Them's the facts of the matter!!

As the old saying goes you can't educate pork, so all you can do is leave the offending circuit in a de-energised condition (MCB Off or fuse Removed from carrier) and issue a ''Danger Notice''!! If the customer then wishes to switch the MCB on, or replace the fuse in it's carrier, that's solely down to that person's actions, ...it's not your problem!! You as an electrician have complied with your Duty of Care....

Totally agree with that. I would also put a warning sticker on DB and take photo of it in situ.

Haven’t we enough trouble with Electrical Trainee’s bullying customers in to full rewires because the Electrical Trainee doesn’t understand previous versions of the regs.
Give them the power to legally terrorise customers and ¾ of the country’s domestic supplies will be cut off.

Haven’t we enough trouble with Electrical Trainee’s bullying customers in to full rewires because the Electrical Trainee doesn’t understand previous versions of the regs.
Give them the power to legally terrorise customers and ¾ of the country’s domestic supplies will be cut off.

I know a gassafe lad that seems to do that. He only has to look at an appliance and it's condemned!

Me personally, I would notify client if it is not a quick fix. If it was I would just sort it out there and then. If not I would; isolate cct, written warning notice, sticker, photo, home! In that order!

A disabled friend Dave was told he had to have the boiler replaced as it was failing the pressure hold test. New boiler dully fitted it still failed but the plumber cleared off with £X000 in his pocket.
I traced the leak to a gas fire. Called the plumber and stood over him while he fixed the fire then invited him to come and have a word with Dave and I. He left minus a cheque for £1000. Dave’s sister in law ran a letting agency, said plumber lost all his work there as well.

Reply to Competency to turn off (condemn) circuits? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net