Search the forum,

Discuss Connect 2nd siren box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rudie

Hi,

I have 1 front siren box and am considering connecting a second siren box at the rear. Can i feed a wire from the current siren box terminals to feed the new 2nd siren box?

Thanks.

I think using 2 bell boxes on some panles means you have to use the battery in the bells as it draws to much current from panel battery.
Jumper pins in bell are altered to suit.

You will need to identify (+ hold off) and (bell - trig) these cables are wired in parallel with the original bell box. (- hold off) and (tamp Return) will be wired in series with original bell box wiring, if you have the make of bell boxes it will help us to give you terminal connections

Some alarm panels with sirens have transistor outputs & if you have 2 sirens in parallel, the impedance is too low & you will destroy the transistor. If it is this type, the minimum impedance should be marked somewhere in t he the box.

Most panels can handle 500mA + and the panel transistors are only switching bell transistors and can handle 2 bells.
Quick circuit drawing to explain a bit better
2 bell circuit.jpg

R u putting the second box up to scare off intruders? Or for the sound?

If to scare off intruders y not get a dummy box with flashing led instead of wiring to second box

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. The one connected now is a Texecom odessey. The one i have spare (which i want to use at the rear) looks like the Raysil box on this link (will get the name of the board tonight) :

Kent « Burglar Alarm Britain

Yes cunnishaun, I want to use the 2nd box to alert neighnours at rear preferably by sound and led.

Sintra, would run from panel but its a long way plus i would need to dig up floorboards, carpet etc. whereas what im asking, i can do from within the loft space.

Hi here are the photos of the 2nd box i am thinking of adding:

photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

Hope this helps...

Sintra, would run from panel but its a long way plus i would need to dig up floorboards, carpet etc. whereas what im asking, i can do from within the loft space.

Ok thanks. Would this allow me to link the 1st siren box to the second siren box without having to cable to control box?

just parallel up the +12V, trig -. then from the TR on bell1 feed the 0V to bell2, then from bell2 TR back to panel.

thanks, but the only thing of what to connect is the RT on bell2 as on tazz's diagram, this connects to the control panel RT.

Hopefully this will show Telectrix wiring, as its hard to put down in text, also put the optima and bell box terminals in for youBell2.jpg

Thanks Tazz, i'll order another texecom and try this as soon as i can. will each siren box have everything working - siren/flashing led/strobe/tamper? once its up i'll do the walk through tests.

Hi, I have taken a photo of the control panel - will try and take a photo of existing siren box wiring this weekend...

From the picture, it looks like the wire feeding the sensor in the landing upstairs carries the wiring for the siren box too...

So we have

SCB T - Blue
SCB A - Black
Bell D - Red
Bell B - Yellow

Zone 8 PIR feed is white and green...IMG_1694.jpg

There are no tampers on the pirs but suppose I will find out if there Is a tamper on the siren box when I open it. What makes you think there is no tamper?

just traced the wires up, seems like the only wires going into the bellbox are red, black, yellow and blue...will open up bellbox when it stops raining...

ok, i'll consider that after i open the box - but tazz's diagram can still be valid if the installer connected as in the diagram above.

Hi,

have managed to get up and take a picture of the wiring in the current siren box (tamper did work also). Here are the pictures...IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

what muppet thought he could install alarms? that wiring is atrocious. strobe is looped in with siren, bare conductors everywhere, and the panel looks like rats have been fighting in there. it's too untidy for a rat's nest.

Wasnt happy with his work either as we had just painted our house and he left hand prints everywhere. was recommended by a friend but suppose if we dont see behind the covers, we cant tell how bad they are. I will however tidy the wires when I connect 2nd box.

Oh dear run out of cores, looks like 0.5 mains cable than alarm cable. the link is a bit sad, the strobe functions will not work linked out.

no, cant be, green and white are terminated at the top of the picture. So do I need to change this wiring for the strobe link?

When you re terminate use the green for the strobe and diconnect the link, when the siren cuts off after 15 mins the strobe will continue to flash.

sorry shocking_eg, missed your comment, yes, the installer fed the upstairs pir using the same cable that feeds the siren box. so really, there should be 2 spare wires as the positive, negative, white and green feed the upstairs, yellow and blue feed the siren, so got a spare brown and orange.

tazz, is it the strobe -, as this feeds my auto dialler?

Best if you can run a dedicated cable to your siren mate

The bell box should be fused separately from the AUX power that the PIR's are probably, currently being fed from

How long ago did this alarm man fit this ?

january 2012 so just missed the 12 month install warranty.
i did notice that the power for the siren/upstairs pir comes from Bell D and SCB A on the control panel board.
Will be hard now to run a dedicated wire up to siren box as ive had everything replastered and carpetted :-(
didnt expect this much problem from an alarm installer...

yeah will do now after what you guys have told me. other thing was that 2 rooms were daisy chained together as he said the other 2 wires were broke. my brother came a few months ago to test with multimeter, and they were fine, so split them into 2 seperate zones.

Called the alarm guy this morning, he said he was on an install and will call me later today, no phonecall...
I'll give him till end of tomorrow and see what he says, otherwise i'll have to do what you guys advise myself.

no. call him back. keave a voicemail if necessary. tell him that if he has not come to sort his mess out within 7 days, you are reporting him to trading standards. that should get you a result.

ok, lets make a good job from a bad......there are 4 cables, so we have what we need, the strobe connection is not perfect but can be utilised from the bell neg. As you guys are most aware this guys not going to come back, so all we can do is to follow my diagram, link out the strobes and go from there. The system has its tampers and hold offs so the security issue is covered.

thanks tazz.

im not giving up hope yet. will give him until lunchtime before i call again.

you beat me to my next question which was - if he does come and fix/repair, how can i double check that this time he has done it right while he is still there?

So he has to connect another connection to BELL- (B) at the control panel and feed this to the siren box (via the upstairs pir where the wires are routed onto the siren box). and then the strobe walk test should work after this?

I'll have to make sure he washes his paws before he starts.

He needs to connect another wire from st- in the panel to stobe terminal in bell box. This will give walk test and constant strobe after siren has cut off.

Reply to Connect 2nd siren box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net