Discuss Connecting a fan to shower power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Or even better get a friggin fan with a built in humidifier,then all it is is a bloody twin and earth from the local light via a isolator and your could have fitted that in the time you have been checking this board for someone, anyone to give you their blessing on the shower circuit **** idea!?

I mentioned a humidifier earlier. I don't think he knows what we are talking about

There seems to be strong opinion (even outrage) at the thought of connecting to the shower circuit but other than people saying its a "crappy idea" no one has actually explained why?
If its the possibility of overloading the shower circuit then surely the risk of overloading the lighting circuit is greater - especially as who knows how additional high wattage exterior lights may have been added over time.

If, as the OP says, the spur initially uses the same thickness cable as the rest of the shower circuit until it gets to the fused spur then there should be no additional fire risk?

Are people against this because its not standard practice or is it actually against the regs? Please say which regs if you know.

Why not use a 60A junction box? Thats what they're for aren't they?

Just looking for some reasoned arguments rather than an outraged dismissal

(PS I registered to see the outcome of this thread !!)

Weird how this thread affects people in different ways, I dread any bathroom fan thread that runs for more than half a dozen posts ;)

I've got it!!! Take it off the lighting circuit, but put in a pull cord instead of a pir. Place the pull cord beside the shower one. Tie them both together so when the shower is on so is the fan!!!!

IAM A GOD!!!

thread closed lol

Wow! I never knew dummy spiting kids worked in the electric trade :rolleyes2:

Please do not comment on this thread unless you can be helpful and explain why certain ideas cannot be used with backed up evidence. Rather than just ranting on.

Thanks to all who have suggested why my original idea may not work due to the neutral. I’m still looking into that.

But I still haven’t had answers on why the shower circuit can’t be used as a power supply for another circuit and the use of junction boxes, even if the total current load is within the cables tolerance as per regs book?

Just too clarify, yes I can take the easy option of a humidity sensor or pir but as stated it does not solves the job brief. Ie past humidity fans fitted can be temperamental and a pir will cause the fan to run pretty much all day. If someone gives me a problem I like to try to solve it so they are happy, don’t you guys?

Thanks for the idea of a fan with a built in pir and timer, but the original fan hole is already at the far end of the bathroom where someone will not be able to walk past it in order to set it off. Making a new hole is not an option.

Thanks for the 3A idea, ie the lights circuit into the bathroom. Although this does solve the problem of using 3A fan it does not solve the problem of having the fan only work if the shower is in use.

What about the idea of a switching relay, anyone done it before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Please do not comment on this thread unless you can be helpful and explain why certain ideas cannot be used with backed up evidence. Rather than just ranting on.

Thanks to all who have suggested why my original idea may not work due to the neutral. I’m still looking into that.

But I still haven’t had answers on why the shower circuit can’t be used as a power supply for another circuit and the use of junction boxes, even if the total current load is within the cables tolerance as per regs book?

Just too clarify, yes I can take the easy option of a humidity sensor or pir but as stated it does not solves the job brief. Ie past humidity fans fitted can be temperamental and a pir will cause the fan to run pretty much all day. If someone gives me a problem I like to try to solve it so they are happy, don’t you guys?

Thanks for the idea of a fan with a built in pir and timer, but the original fan hole is already at the far end of the bathroom where someone will not be able to walk past it in order to set it off. Making a new hole is not an option.

Thanks for the 3A idea, ie the lights circuit into the bathroom. Where best to place the 3A fused spur?
Also if the bathroom light ring is not the last light point in the wire run do you suggest spurring of the light ring just to supply the bathroom and the rest of the light circuit continues at 6A?

Flow sensor in the pipework.

For example

www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?3503-Extractor-Fan-Control

Thanks for the 3A idea, ie the lights circuit into the bathroom. Where best to place the 3A fused spur?
Also if the bathroom light ring is not the last light point in the wire run do you suggest spurring of the light ring just to supply the bathroom and the rest of the light circuit continues at 6A?

OK............................No Comment!!!!!!!!

A flow sensor could work, thanks I'll look into that too.

No sorry, although a good idea I don't think the client will be happy to see that design in the bathroom. LOL

and what if the guy does a stinky dump. will he need to run the shower to get rid of it, or strip off and dump in the shower??

Thanks for the 3A idea, ie the lights circuit into the bathroom. Although this does solve the problem of using 3A fan it does not solve the problem of having the fan only work if the shower is in use.

Buy a decent one instead of going for the cheap option then? Never had a problem with a Vent-Axia.

ok if you are determined to go down the route of connecting into the shower here goes,put a current transformer around the live on the load side of switch,connect this to a current sensing relay,then take a permanent live and neutral from the lighting circuit through this to the fan.should only cost about 60 quid but hey ho if that's the route you insist on going down and connecting to the shower.

ok if you are determined to go down the route of connecting into the shower here goes,put a current transformer around the live on the load side of switch,connect this to a current sensing relay,then take a permanent live and neutral from the lighting circuit through this to the fan.should only cost about 60 quid but hey ho if that's the route you insist on going down and connecting to the shower.

As post no. 9 Phil.

Boydy

Manufacturers requirements take precedence over BS 7671, and the Vent axia ones I've seen specifically show on the wiring diagram spurring from a lighting circuit. That might be a clue.

Reply to Connecting a fan to shower power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net