Discuss cooker switch above hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok you got me on that Trev lol.

Talking about measurements, picked this up the other month at a car boot for a quid. Spot the mistake???

View attachment 26487

An old slide rule that says 1 foot = 3048 metres. Should say 30.48 centimeters. Tickled me so I got it for a pound, may be worth £2 due to the mistake pmsl.
Look carefully there's actually a point,so it actually reads .3048 metres.shgts lol

Ok I need to go back to specsavers lol. Just so you can see how small the print is, here you go:-

20141003_101723.jpg

If the previous were thermally damaged then surely you should not be replacing and walking, you should be contacting the landlord and expressing your concerns, making safe the circuit until it can be rectified, the inconvenience of losing the circuits normally pushes any landlord to say do what is needed as they don't want the tenant ringing up everyday and refusing to pay rent.

Dependent on the brand and material the spurs are made from - some can become conductive if excessively heat damaged and/or release toxic fumes as they heat up, personally I'd of refused to replaced them, made them safe and sent the payee a callout charge if they said they don't want it altering.

If its the tenant is the payee then say you can't do what they ask and they need to discuss with the landlord who responsibilty it is for upkeep of the electrics - this will be possibly a factor of the tenancy agreement and given the hazard is both a shock risk and property risk you can't replace.
I'm not the electrical police!and can only comment/advise as you suggested. Owner is aware (in writing for the sake of rectus protectus if nothing else), also the caretaker was told. Concerns expressed I was instructed to replace the faulty unit(s).

I'm not the electrical police!and can only comment/advise as you suggested. Owner is aware (in writing for the sake of rectus protectus if nothing else), also the caretaker was told. Concerns expressed I was instructed to replace the faulty unit(s).

If your employed then granted the crap lays on the bosses shoulders if you have been instructed by him, if your self employed you should be refusing to do the replacement and expressing why.. no electrical police about it in my mind ... common sense! ... if the set-up has failed already due to environmental influences then your not doing your job correctly in recreating the same circumstances. I don't for one minute believe I'm been over keen here, its about knowing when you can replace and advise or just say NO! its a safety issue and as a professional I cannot do a replacement. This is not about trying to get one up on a member its about safety of an installation and/or risk to the public, its about deciding when you can just do a cheap replacement to keep every happy or hold your ground and say this isn't right and sorry I can't do that. IMHO if you have to keep replacing it because its getting cooked then you know my opinion already.

If the customer won't pay then walk away .... never let the cart lead the horse; your the professional here!

Last edited:
If your employed then granted the crap lays on the bosses shoulders if you have been instructed by him, if your self employed you should be refusing to do the replacement and expressing why.. no electrical police about it in my mind ... common sense! ... if the set-up has failed already due to environmental influences then your not doing your job correctly in recreating the same circumstances. I don't for one minute believe I'm been over keen here, its about knowing when you can replace and advise or just say NO! its a safety issue and as a professional I cannot do a replacement. This is not about trying to get one up on a member its about safety of an installation and/or risk to the public, its about deciding when you can just do a cheap replacement to keep every happy or hold your ground and say this isn't right and sorry I can't do that. IMHO if you have to keep replacing it because its getting cooked then you know my opinion already.

If the customer won't pay then walk away .... never let the cart lead the horse; your the professional here!

Noted. Each to their own opinion and I don't necessarily have any quarts about whatnot say. I was there, I made my judgement call and have big enough pants to carry that call if the ****e hits the fan.

Noted. Each to their own opinion and I don't necessarily have any quarts about whatnot say. I was there, I made my judgement call and have big enough pants to carry that call if the ****e hits the fan.
Fair do's will agree to disagree on this one then and plod onto the next thread of interest ;)

If the cooker control switch is just a switch i would tend to leave it where it is as long as it is not literally sitting on the hob where heat influence would obviously be a potential issue. However, if the cooker switch incorporates a socket which can be readily used with the possibility of trailing leads running above the hob i would attribute a C2 departure to this and advise the tenant on repositioning the point. If the tenant refuses this for whatever reason it would be time to walk away from the job.

I've been back to a house twice now where there are 3 FCU isolators that are literally behind the gas hob. About 20cm up from the work surface. Two have suffered thermal damage and partially melted. Had to be replaced. Suggested to customer something be moved - hob or switches but theyre not interested as its a rental!

Just refer to any gas/Elec hob installation manual here and pull the prats pants down . From gas safe regs alone the hob should not have been fitted in the first place without moving the points first . This also should have been pulled on the yearly gas inspection and disconnected until made safe as the hobs manufacturers installation instructions were no followed . We get this a lot with DIY Landlords as ' Believe it or not ' gas hobs don't have to be registered (Optional) on install weather new or old as they are classed as non heat producing appliances . Go figure ! lol

Reply to cooker switch above hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net