Discuss cooker switch above hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is that anything like 4.23 metres? Can you be more specific with your measurements next time please
:)

Ok you got me on that Trev lol.

Talking about measurements, picked this up the other month at a car boot for a quid. Spot the mistake???

20141001_181818.jpg

An old slide rule that says 1 foot = 3048 metres. Should say 30.48 centimeters. Tickled me so I got it for a pound, may be worth £2 due to the mistake pmsl.

It says .3048 metres, look at the . For the line above it to compare size and position.

But it does look like a square yard is equal to 836 square metres from here!

thanks for the feedback.
I'll give her a ring tomorrow and run through some options. Poor ol' dear only wanted to treat herself to a nice new hob and gets a load of boring crap about Regulations! :)

thanks for the feedback.
I'll give her a ring tomorrow and run through some options. Poor ol' dear only wanted to treat herself to a nice new hob and gets a load of boring crap about Regulations! :)

Being old has it's advantages - one of which is that you tend to care less about silly regulations & things on the grounds that you've come this far in life without them relatively unscathed so why bother with them now!!

Being old has it's advantages - one of which is that you tend to care less about silly regulations & things on the grounds that you've come this far in life without them relatively unscathed so why bother with them now!!

You forget Geordie that many regulations are brought in on reflections of real deaths and injuries caused by what should be common sense, with a population of 70million it maybe the case you never here of any such events but they do happen and while the solutions are simple the just add a regulation to ensure that the idiots out there cannot just say it ok because the regs dont say you cant.

but then part pee was introduced as a result of a MP's daughter being electrocuted. that's really done the trade some good... NOT.

You forget Geordie that many regulations are brought in on reflections of real deaths and injuries caused by what should be common sense, with a population of 70million it maybe the case you never here of any such events but they do happen and while the solutions are simple the just add a regulation to ensure that the idiots out there cannot just say it ok because the regs dont say you cant.

I forget many things nowadays BUT I NEVER forget who I am, what I am, my strengths, weaknesses, limitations and my heritage! ;)

Ok you got me on that Trev lol.

Talking about measurements, picked this up the other month at a car boot for a quid. Spot the mistake???

View attachment 26487

An old slide rule that says 1 foot = 3048 metres. Should say 30.48 centimeters. Tickled me so I got it for a pound, may be worth £2 due to the mistake pmsl.

Paul,

I think you need to get a magnifying glass out! It actually says .3048 metres ... correct.

GB

I've been back to a house twice now where there are 3 FCU isolators that are literally behind the gas hob. About 20cm up from the work surface. Two have suffered thermal damage and partially melted. Had to be replaced. Suggested to customer something be moved - hob or switches but theyre not interested as its a rental!

I've been back to a house twice now where there are 3 FCU isolators that are literally behind the gas hob. About 20cm up from the work surface. Two have suffered thermal damage and partially melted. Had to be replaced. Suggested to customer something be moved - hob or switches but theyre not interested as its a rental!

If the previous were thermally damaged then surely you should not be replacing and walking, you should be contacting the landlord and expressing your concerns, making safe the circuit until it can be rectified, the inconvenience of losing the circuits normally pushes any landlord to say do what is needed as they don't want the tenant ringing up everyday and refusing to pay rent.

Dependent on the brand and material the spurs are made from - some can become conductive if excessively heat damaged and/or release toxic fumes as they heat up, personally I'd of refused to replaced them, made them safe and sent the payee a callout charge if they said they don't want it altering.

If its the tenant is the payee then say you can't do what they ask and they need to discuss with the landlord who responsibilty it is for upkeep of the electrics - this will be possibly a factor of the tenancy agreement and given the hazard is both a shock risk and property risk you can't replace.

Reply to cooker switch above hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net