Discuss Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a cellphone that's about 8 years old. The battery doesn't last a full day anymore which suits me fine. I was so excited when I first got it, I thought it would help me manage my time better but it just turned out to be more of a distraction and time waster than anything else. I stopped carrying it after only a few months, started leaving it in the car then leaving it at home. It wasn't even good for pron, the damn screen is too small. I was very disappointed. The only thing I found it useful for was the camera but I went back to carrying a simple digital camera which works well for what I need.

Long before Phone cards. 4d cost.
999 calls free, anyway, or you could reverse the charges via the operator for normal calls.
I remember making reverse charges, I'd hear my mum sounding mad as she spoke to the operator to except the charge!

It got to the point where she'd say 'no' to the operator, and the operator would come back and say, 'you're reverse charge has been denied' then I'd ask the operator to pass her on a message.
😂

But who remembers tapping the phone to get a free call?

But did that result in a free call? The pulses were exactly the same as if you used a dial phone, so I never bought into the free call idea - remember this was a common rumour prior to the introduction of itemised billing, so how could anyone be certain unless making all calls this way and not being charged for a single call?

But did that result in a free call? The pulses were exactly the same as if you used a dial phone, so I never bought into the free call idea - remember this was a common rumour prior to the introduction of itemised billing, so how could anyone be certain unless making all calls this way and not being charged for a single call?

Tapping the hook switch on a home telephone mimicked the pulse dialling that the dial performed. Tapping once, then twice, then three times would dial the speaking clock very easily.

This could still be done in some areas until comparatively recently, until the last of the mechanical (Strowger I think) equipment in the exchanges was ripped out.

Cost was not affected - the system couldn't differentiate between the tapping or dial pulses.

Not sure if there was a similar 'hack' which might work in call boxes though and result in free calls?

Tapping the hook switch on a home telephone mimicked the pulse dialling that the dial performed. Tapping once, then twice, then three times would dial the speaking clock very easily.

This could still be done in some areas until comparatively recently, until the last of the mechanical (Strowger I think) equipment in the exchanges was ripped out.

Cost was not affected - the system couldn't differentiate between the tapping or dial pulses.

Not sure if there was a similar 'hack' which might work in call boxes though and result in free calls?
Spot on - but the phones in supermarkets to pickup and auto-dial a taxi could be 'confused' into making a free call if you were patient enough to play the game!

Yes from a telephone box.

Reply to Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net