Discuss Debate "Is more expensive better than cheaper? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

I have been following a lot of posted threads with interest, some started by myself regarding Pricing – Cost of materials, Why is it so expensive, etc.
What has struck me with most on the replies, is that many, if not all automatically assume, and get all judgmental, with lots of hand ringing, and it is taken as read that if someone is cheap or cheaper than your price, the client is then going to get what he paid for, and as such will now most certainly get a botch job,appalling workmanship, with no tests, no proper checking of bonding and earthing and the list goes on and on, despair.
Yes, in some cases, but not necessarily all. So from a platform of debate, may I take a second out and play Devil's Advocate here. Think about if you won a nice job because your price was more competitive and better priced than a competitor. How would you all feel if that “competitor” then started blabbing off that the client is going to get a cowboy job and he/she will get a call to go and fix it and on and on it goes?? And who’s to say, that the competitor with a “chip on your shoulder” would do a better job than the electrician who has been awarded the work?
Been there done it myself as we all have. The most expensive is not always the best. Been in behind jobs, and have been told by client what he paid for it and it was silly money for a real cowboy job.
I also know of someone who initially went to replace a blown fuse, for an elderly couple, while doing the repair he suggested that they have their CU replaced, they said they have got quotes but it was too expensive and beyond their means. This electrician then in his own time when he had a spare few hours replaced their old CU with a new one with a full signed off test cert. All for free inc parts and labour, so it does not come any cheaper than that. So does that make that him a cowboy Electrician or a bodger who did a dangerous job????
Yep he did not make a penny out of it but hey he felt like a Million £££££’s

Whilst he may feel a million££££'s, it's not a realistic business approach, unlikely it'll pay the bills.
However and I haven't read the other threads, but pricing is surely an individual call, as one mans overheads may not be the same as the next. For example a medium sized company may have offices, warehouse etc to cover whereas a one man band or small partnership may get materials each day and operate from a home office. Some may have a fleet of vehicles, other may use an old estate car? One may do the self employed aspect as a means of earning a living the other may be employed and doing a 'private' job with materials acquired from the firm.
The bigger picture is that this country has become obsessed with money, (the legacy of Thatcherism), so invariably we all have a desire to earn as much as we can, in doing so there are those who have two jobs, those who claim benefits and work on the side, and those who are just busy fools. So rather than focus on whether the cheaper man is a yeehaa, we should be selling the quality aspect of our business service. Afterall you don't we the large businesses, worrying about how cheap they can offer a service for and forfeiting their profit margins. So stop looking down and look up, you're fighting the wrong battle.

but then what do I know!

Whilst he may feel a million££££'s, it's not a realistic business approach, unlikely it'll pay the bills.
However and I haven't read the other threads, but pricing is surely an individual call, as one mans overheads may not be the same as the next. For example a medium sized company may have offices, warehouse etc to cover whereas a one man band or small partnership may get materials each day and operate from a home office. Some may have a fleet of vehicles, other may use an old estate car? One may do the self employed aspect as a means of earning a living the other may be employed and doing a 'private' job with materials acquired from the firm.
The bigger picture is that this country has become obsessed with money, (the legacy of Thatcherism), so invariably we all have a desire to earn as much as we can, in doing so there are those who have two jobs, those who claim benefits and work on the side, and those who are just busy fools. So rather than focus on whether the cheaper man is a yeehaa, we should be selling the quality aspect of our business service. Afterall you don't we the large businesses, worrying about how cheap they can offer a service for and forfeiting their profit margins. So stop looking down and look up, you're fighting the wrong battle.

but then what do I know!

You have lost me "with fighting the wrong battle" sorry the thread/topic was not on pricing but focused as a result of the pricing debate on Why when competitor is cheaper than someone else that ensure a certain botch job will prevail???
Also with respect you have got to keep an open mind "Not a realistic business approach" It turned out to be the best business approach I have ever heard of and a small investment of his own "" Time" made him tens of thousands of pounds and still does today. and paid the bills and some more!! Hint below and above the line advertising??

Sorry mamba, got slightly carried away!
the point is price is often focused on as a gauge as to quality, when in fact it has very little to do with quality. As I was trying to demonstrate a guy who is employed could do a 'private job' cheaper than the self employed due to lower overheads but does this automatically mean that he is less of a professional? I know many a good employed spark who do many side jobs and do them to the same high standard that they do their day job too. Unfortunately with the influx of new entrants too the trade who think they are a spark, comes the many poor installs that are often associated with a cut price, therefore general perceptions tend too then say that cheap is poor quality. Just because its said or believed to be true, Doesn't mean that it is true.
So to change it, stop focusing on what others are doing and concentrate on what you do.

With regards to the freebie, I'm not suggesting that it will not reap rewards, but many would struggle to continue with this approach. I have over the years done many a free job, this is because my sole purpose to going self employed was to help people not worry about how much I'm going to make, job satisfaction far outweighs the money.

You're absolutely right mate, the general attitude on this forum, the second someone talks about getting a job done slightly cheaper than the going rate is...
"well hes a cowboy who as a single syllabull first name and drinks in PUBS and is from a county in eastern europe (so obviously stupid) and hes not qualified and he won't issue any certs or upgrade main bonding and the RCD's wont hold and the house will burn down and the whole family WILL die and then the world will come to an end and blah blah blah boo hoo its so unfair"

If people wanna sell themselves short I dont care. I find the guys who are really cheap are usually older sparkies who are sort of semi retired and dont really understand that everything is expensive these days and that its ok for the blue collar man to make some easy coin once in a while. Doesn't mean anyones house is gonna burn down.

Punctuation and new paragraphs?

Every post on this thread has utilized both punctuation and paragraphs Murdoch. Considering a large number of the people on this forum, including several senior members, have an extremely poor grasp of the english language, Im not sure why you've chosen this thread to highlight it.

Also....if its not worth reading, I hope you dont mind me asking but.....
Why the hell are you reading it????

Every post on this thread has utilized both punctuation and paragraphs Murdoch. Considering a large number of the people on this forum, including several senior members, have an extremely poor grasp of the english language, Im not sure why you've chosen this thread to highlight it.

Well I could have written - this thread isn't likely to get many responses as the OP and replies are not well laid out, not easy to understand. But I thought that was a bit too direct.

You are entitled to your views that is what the forum is all about.
However the main aim of this thread was to simulate frank and open debate, with a bit of light banter in between. Maybe big M one should start contributing by either entering into the debate constructivly and in the spirit of things or possibly start your own thread subject which we will all contribute to as well, rather than skirting around being critical and pointless.
Apologies in advance for a block of badly written grammar spelling and what ever you may which to point out

Reply to Debate "Is more expensive better than cheaper? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net