Discuss Domestic - 3 distribution boxes, no RCD? sorry, still fresh out the classroom..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The General

Getting my bulletproof vest on ready to be shot down in flames, but here goes....

Went out for (what I'd thought) a straightforward swap of a 6A MCB at a small (2 MCB garage style) distribution box.
Looking to isolate I was expecting to find the small d/b wired from another MCB in the main CU or secondary d/b, but none of the MCBs (or main switches) isolated the small d/b. It's a TN-C-S by the way.

Checking back to incoming tails, they are split to feed the two main boxes, and then just before the main CU there's what can only be described as a 'bundle' of green/yellow insulating tape wrapped around a large cable!
Didn't want to open it up to look at this stage (as the only way to isolate would be to take out the distributors fuse) but I'm fairly certain that was the feed to the small distribution box.

None of the boxes have internal RCDs, and there is no RCD/switch between the meter and the C/U.

I've flagged up with client the safety implications of not having RCD protection on sockets etc, and that it's not up to current regulations.
He's the sort of person who feels big brother is dictating what he can do in his own house and why should he change anything when the wires have been there for years and 'no-one has died!'
He probably thinks seatbelts in a car are an infringement of his human rights too, but I won't go there....

So, basically I want to know what the minimum he can get away with to satisfy the regs (and safety!) and allow me to carry on with the original MCB replacement.

Can I just fit a main RCD/switch in between the suppliers fuse and the split for the three boxes?
30mA to satisfy requirements for socket protection?
Oh, and re-wire the insulation tape into a proper junction box! :wacko:

I'm grateful for any comments - even the ones that tell me I'm an idiot and to not expect everything to be 'classroom perfect'
trouble is, without a mentor you can only go by what you've been told and what you read - not necessarily the 'real world' solutions....

thanks.

Re: Domestic - 3 distribution boxes, no RCD? sorry, still fresh out the classroom....

Your big issue is with the DB supply, not RCD protection. If RCD protection was not required at the time of installation, then all you can do is advise, not dictate.

If the MCB's are "like for like" then crack on if you can isolate adequately. Also raise a letter covering the isolation issue you have with the board and the "preferred" additional safety an RCD can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Domestic - 3 distribution boxes, no RCD? sorry, still fresh out the classroom....

Your big issue is with the DB supply, not RCD protection. If RCD protection was not required at the time of installation, then all you can do is advise, not dictate.

If the MCB's are "like for like" then crack on if you can isolate adequately. Also raise a letter covering the isolation issue you have with the board and the "preferred" additional safety an RCD can provide.

Thanks Graeme,
I'd hesitated to do the straight swap as I'd need to do a minor works certificate (wouldn't I?) and wasn't sure how I was going to fill in all the 'essential tests' results - but I guess 'N/A' would cover it?
If it's a like-4-like swap does it still need a minor works anyway?

Like for like technically no, as its maint, but if you have a problematic customer Id do it as a rear end covering measure. Test as is, and produce a letter.

What is this small CU supplying? How long is the cable from the mess joint to this small garage CU.

It supplies a 6A and 16A/32A(can't remember which) MCBs for the lighting circuit and ring/radial circuit - in a small room which was originally a porch and was then converted into a kitchen and then converted into a study. (old cooker feed is still supplied from MCB at the main CU) so it's lights and sockets in this room only as far as I could tell.

approximatey 3-4m between 'mess' and small CU

Just wondered if those tails were over 3 metres you could have had a problem with fault protection and the main fuse.

As you say you can only really advise and hope your client listens, which as you say is doubtful

Just wondered if those tails were over 3 metres you could have had a problem with fault protection and the main fuse.

As you say you can only really advise and hope your client listens, which as you say is doubtful

:wacko:
Not sure if you could even call them tails - as far as I could see it's run off a cooker cable, definitely not 25mm....
throw in a dodgy connection halfway along, who knows!?!

They were advised of a re-wire (by someone else) when they bought the house, they just don't want the expense of it.
I'll advise again.....watch this space!

thanks for all comments.

Reply to Domestic - 3 distribution boxes, no RCD? sorry, still fresh out the classroom..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net