Discuss Doorbell Wiring - Ring Pro and Honeywell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You can cheat a little, by increasing the voltage of the power supply,
to make up for the losses.So lets say you wire it all up, put in say 12v,
then measure whats available at the chime, if it's down to say 10v ?
Then go back to your power supply and increase the 12v to 14v.

Hi.
Did you get your Ring Pro wired in tandem with a Honeywell 915?
I am trying to do the same thing.

Hi, my plan was not to do this until the new year which gives plenty of time to thoroughly investigate the matter, which is exactly what I've been doing.

I contacted Ring Support and was advised the Honeywell DW915S is not compatible with the Pro or the Elite because of the circuitry. It maybe compatible with the Ring 2 though. From the conversation I've had with Ring Support although the Pro and the Elite require a 16-24vac mains connection to function. In order to function with a hardwired chime, said chime also requires a 16 - 24vac supply. Connecting a DC chime will damage the Pro and the Elite. The documentation with the DW915s shows that it only requires an 8 - 12vac mains supply without batteries.

The same day I also contacted Honeywell support about the compatibility of the DW915s and the Ring Pro. They came back to me a good few days later. Honeywell said they were unable to provide wiring diagrams for specific devices. They did specifically state that the DW915s will work fine with any 8 - 16v transformer be that DC or AC and that batteries should always be used unless you don't have an illuminated ring on your doorbell. This information isn't clear in the Honeywell literature.

Based on the new information I've received I'm thinking the reviews I've seen on Amazon stating the DW915s was wired into a Ring doorbell, I've incorrectly assumed the Ring Doorbell being referred to was the Pro.

I've gone back to Ring Support with the information from Honeywell and requested that they re-test the DW915s for compatibility based on the information from Honeywell and asked the question outright if based on the information from Honeywell whether the Pro or the Elite would be compatible.

Hope that helps.

You can cheat a little, by increasing the voltage of the power supply,
to make up for the losses.So lets say you wire it all up, put in say 12v,
then measure whats available at the chime, if it's down to say 10v ?
Then go back to your power supply and increase the 12v to 14v.

The 0-24v transformers I've seen appear to be incrementally fixed at 8v 12v 24v depending on the voltage required. So how would it be possible to increase said voltage if wired into the 12v to the required 16v in this case because the next point is the 24v.

I thought you meant there was something on the DIN rail transformer that let you do it lol. Christ that thing is a beast although no good for the Ring as it doesn't like DC according to the support team.

If the windings on the transformer are tapped to provide 8v, 12v and 24v, then you can connect between the 8v and 24v taps to get 16v.

Ive been looking at connecting a Ring Pro to a DW915S as well for the following reason :- The Ring Pro has a feature/problem in that when someone presses the Ring button, the remote Chime gives out a sound, but then if the Ring Pro button is pressed again immediatly, the Chime does not make a sound. I checked with Ring and they said that the Chime will only make a sound after the Blue light on the Ring Pro has gone off from the first press of the button. This can be up to a minute.

If the windings on the transformer are tapped to provide 8v, 12v and 24v, then you can connect between the 8v and 24v taps to get 16v.

Good shout, I didn't realise that could be done. I have however managed to track down a transformer with a 16v tap (also didn't know they were called taps)

Ive been looking at connecting a Ring Pro to a DW915S as well for the following reason :- The Ring Pro has a feature/problem in that when someone presses the Ring button, the remote Chime gives out a sound, but then if the Ring Pro button is pressed again immediatly, the Chime does not make a sound. I checked with Ring and they said that the Chime will only make a sound after the Blue light on the Ring Pro has gone off from the first press of the button. This can be up to a minute.

I have just ordered the DW915s on ebay as there was a voucher for 15% off, so managed to get it for less than £33.00, which is cheaper than anywhere else. Sadly I won't be in a position to fit it to a Ring until close to next summer when I change out the Consumer Unit. If I get any further updates from Ring on this matter I will try to update the thread.

As an update for anyone following.

I emailed Ring Support and asked would the Ring Pro or Elite work with the Honeywell DW915s. Their response was that the device was incompatible and when they say incompatible they mean Ring don't guarantee stable performance. The issue from my understanding was that the Ring Pro and Ring Elite required main powered chimes at 16 - 24vac despite in the case of the Ring Elite being powered by POE.

I contacted Honeywell and they advised the DW915s could be powered by 16v and needed the batteries in as well even if it is mains powered. (See above for more info)

I went back to Ring and asked based on the fact that Honeywell have advised that it (DW915s) can work with any power supply up to 16v and requires the batteries to be fitted as well.

Ring have responded with and I'll quote directly from the email

"If the manufacturer says that it would work, you can try it on your own risk.

Please note that this model was proven as incompatible from our end by our tests and the specifications provided by Honeywell, and Ring will not be responsible for any possible damage, that could be inflicted on the device."

Now I understand the reason behind the disclaimer however I have to say it has made me think twice.

Based on the correspondence I have had from Ring, my understanding is that the DW915s was incompatible due to the voltage requirements and that incompatible meant guarantee stable performance. Now the language in this most recent correspondence does make me wonder what damage could possibly be caused. I understand the need for a disclaimer however it is a bit strong.

Hello, I'm just wondering if you have any more updates on this? I have a ring doorbell pro and I'm looking at using the same honeywell doorbell myself.

Hello, I'm just wondering if you have any more updates on this? I have a ring doorbell pro and I'm looking at using the same honeywell doorbell myself.

Hi, sadly I haven't been in a position to make the switch over to the Ring.

So from what I can work out in order for the Ring Pro/Elite to work with the Honeywell DW915s, they have to be connected via 16v transformer. According to Honeywell and indeed the information on the packaging itself the DW915s can handle 16v but does require the batteries as well. What I intend to do before I have an electrician install this stuff is do a mock up by wiring a plug to the transformer and then connecting everything up. If you have success with connecting the two together and it working do post back.

@Khuz360: what did you eventually do. I've just bought a Ring Pro, and want it to link to a proper chime device (not the little plug-in thing they include). Did you use the DW915s - or give up? I would assume I'd have to complete rewire my door bell, as it's old 8v cable in order to support 24V anyway (I see some have doubled up alarm wire as a workaround to do this, based on some of the previous responses). Just would like to know what you eventually did - so I may copy... thanks, Rob

@Khuz360: what did you eventually do. I've just bought a Ring Pro, and want it to link to a proper chime device (not the little plug-in thing they include). Did you use the DW915s - or give up? I would assume I'd have to complete rewire my door bell, as it's old 8v cable in order to support 24V anyway (I see some have doubled up alarm wire as a workaround to do this, based on some of the previous responses). Just would like to know what you eventually did - so I may copy... thanks, Rob

Hi Rob

Unfortunately, I never got around to doing this as it was going to be part of a larger project that I had to place on the back burner. Based on the information I received from Ring and Honeywell it is possible to do it. However Both devices need to be hardwired into the Transformer and the DW915s also requires batteries. In one of my posts I talked about doing a mock up by wiring the Transformer to a 240v plug and then wiring everything in as per the instructions from Honeywell which are on the car and going from there.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Khurram

Reply to Doorbell Wiring - Ring Pro and Honeywell in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net