Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Downlighters required with removable bezel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jcs8215248

jcs8215248 Active EF Member

We are having the kitchen refitted and I need new lighting in the kitchen. I intend to use LED lights and currently have GU10 fittings but there are not enough!

I have heard of GU10 fittings with removable bezels that can be removed for decorating (our decorator hates down lighters!). I believe that Aurora have suitable GU10 fire rated fittings but have been unable to confirm with total confidence that these meet my requirements so I am asking for help.

I strongly prefer GU10 LED bulbs rather than integrated LED fittings as there is more choice of beam angle and colour.

I would like to be able to remove the bezel (and if necessary the GU10 bulb) and simply paint over the rest of the fitting without removing it. The decorator would not then complain. Is this how the Aurora fittings work, and are there any alternatives?

The property is a bungalow and the lights will be covered by the fibreglass insulation.

Are you able to give me part numbers so I can be sure of specifying/getting the right fitting. I would want a white (probably gloss) bezel.

Can I get a dimmer that will be capable of dimming 12 LED lights or would I need to divide them into say 8 + 4? Kitchen.jpg

The wiring is easy, the floor joists run in a helpful direction and my draft layout design (using 12 fittings in three rows) misses all of the joists by a sufficient margin. I am intending to get the lights fitted professionally along with the other wiring that will be required in the kitchen. We are in the process of talking to kitchen designers. See diagram - the circles are for a 36 degree beam angle at work surface height.

I also intend to replace the 4 existing fittings that are in the dining end of the kitchen and have LED bulbs already so they match. An electrician removed each of these fittings to change the GU10 sockets which would only take very long GU10 LED bulbs and this badly chipped the plaster around the fittings. I am trying to avoid this for the future.

2. stevethesparks

stevethesparks Electrician's Arms

Not GU10 but worth looking at
    JCC Hybrid 9's - removable bezel and brighter than the average GU10.

3. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Use trimless fittings.

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 15.37.45.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I think this is the product you are referring to;
    Universal™ Fixed Fire Rated Downlight - http://auroralighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/AU-UNIF861

Personally I would use an integrated type. I know some people like lamps like the Phillips Hue etc, but they don't cut it for me. And as for changing the lamps when new technology comes along, that ain't doing a lot for the Planet, is it. I have some of the original LED GU10's, about 7 years old, still working. Why throw them out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. haj

haj Electrician's Arms

Solo from CEF magnetic bezel an intergrated fitting with 5 year no quibble warranty

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Which is a bad idea

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Given its a bungalow, surely there is some sort of access or potential access to roofspace above the new works, Would advise removing the insulation around the new lights. It minimises potential risk later down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Midwest

He's using LED's, the only thing likely to happen, is'em going u/s.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    looking at the amount of lights and the spacing., is this kitchen going to be used as a kitchen or a cannabis farm?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

I think I had more in my refurb, some doubled up. Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 12.22.46.jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 09.06.40.jpg

11. Murdoch

I he decides on GU10 units, all it takes is a halogen or 2 and more to the point all LED lamps get hot ....

12. Midwest

OP said he’s putting in LED gu10’s, which get as hot as a FGW sausage roll

13. Murdoch

As I previously stated any one later could fit halogens .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Midwest

They could also fit gas lamps if they felt so inclined, but by the time subsequent owners move in, and we’ve rejoined the EU, halogens will no longer exist.;)

15. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Some LED GU10s do get quite warm/hot to be fair

• Agree Agree x 1