Discuss earthed fuse board. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

evansjrraves

I found this fuse board at work. The main earth appears to be clamped to the side of it then run down to the main earth terminal, not sure why this has been done or if it is common as Im fairly new to the game. If anyone could help that would be great.

194.jpg

Probably got another cable from the inside of the bolt, to the earth terminal. Or it may be used as the term, depending on age.

I would normally connect the main earth into the earth busbar that will be inside the D/B, so you have a direct connection, then run any supp. bonds away from there to enclosures/doors etc in the vicinity.
You'll probably find someone has connected a fly lead onto the other side and took it to the earth bar that way.

edit
ipf beat me:)

double edit
hope he bloody scratched the paint off !!!!...........both sides?

Wiring inside didnt look up to much, according to labelling lights were being fed off 6mm cable, 3 wires going into a fuse here and there didnt really have the time to investigate but think it might need a re-wire. Also 6 lighting circuits all protected by different fuses

192.jpg

Run for the hills..

Can't say much without being on site. Might be a decent upgrade job, if they're willing to pay for it. Judging from the initial photo, layout not too bad for a small installation... I've seen a lot worse.

ive not really seen loads of installations and am still fairly wet behind the ears, I doubt they have the funds to pay for an upgrade but will suggest it

Old doesn't necessarily mean unserviceable you might find that upon testing there is not much wrong.

Rather than suggest an upgrade initially, get someone experienced to have a look and give you a bit of advice. A few alterterations, here and there, and you may be ok.
Looks like someone's done some work (is that a brown cable), judging by the trunking and the main earth...seem in decent nick. Outgoing circuits could be a problem. Try doing some kind of written layout, listing what is fed from where. Might impress for starters.

This installation looks as if was fine and dandy when it was first installed. Then later got to be *******ised by those that know no different!!
External earthing of electrical enclosures was the norm in bygone days, especially when as was often the case, no internal earth bar/connection was provided. But then that was the days of metal conduit and trunking containment systems being the norm!! lol!!

Ipf Just pointing out if he is not experienced in this field, they might only be shields but depending on many different factors asbestos affects us all differently, even small amounts can lead to the dreaded. I USED to have two friends who contracted it so shoot me for being cautious . I think once you have seen with our own eyes someone who has it you won't be so willing to just " chuck it in a bag "

Ipf Just pointing out if he is not experienced in this field, they might only be shields but depending on many different factors asbestos affects us all differently, even small amounts can lead to the dreaded. I USED to have two friends who contracted it so shoot me for being cautious . I think once you have seen with our own eyes someone who has it you won't be so willing to just " chuck it in a bag "

I should be well and truly dead and buried by now then!! I've had to go round a complete factory on more than one occasion changing out Asbestos fuse shields for new, ( part of the PPM) which was carried out every second factory shutdown!! lol!!

The real dangerous stuff is the blue and grey asbestos, the white stuff used in the older 3036 fuse boards poses considerably less risk, and is also glazed. It doesn't really even need to be touched when pulling fuses and therefore poses minuscule risk, especially in the tiny quantities used!!

Lot's of scaremongering about on asbestos fuse carrier shields, almost to the point of you being officially doomed if your just able to see it!! lol!!

Good points Eng. People do live in cloud cuckoo land. I've worked in asbestos production plants, so know what I'm talking about. Old fella, and loads of mates, worked in them for donkeys years. It's all about understanding the dangers, not being taken in by scaremongering.
Onions, I'm sorry about your friends but we have to get things into perspective.
When people are breathing in the deadly dust is the time to worry. Read about kids playing in the streets at the side of factories with dust filling the air.
Put some rubber gloves on, if need be, and plastic bag the things, ready for disposal.

Reply to earthed fuse board. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net