Discuss EICR & Insurance Companies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Couple of years ago did an EICR on a thatched property, satisfactory conclusion with 6 Code 3 observations, some associated with no RCD protection of concealed cables and bathroom lighting circuit etc. (16th Ed).

Now the insurance company wants me to confirm in writing that these issues have been addressed.

Anyone had this problem before? I would like to 'educate' the insurance company to say these would be fixed next time any work is done and being Code 3 not detrimental to safety etc., and in effect with the rate of current changes to regs everybody will have to change their CU every 10 years or so!

Asked Certsure if they could help me with some arguments to go back to the insurance company - wasting my time with them!

Anyone got any 'nuggets'?

Couple of years ago did an EICR on a thatched property, satisfactory conclusion with 6 Code 3 observations, some associated with no RCD protection of concealed cables and bathroom lighting circuit etc. (16th Ed).

Now the insurance company wants me to confirm in writing that these issues have been addressed.

Anyone had this problem before? I would like to 'educate' the insurance company to say these would be fixed next time any work is done and being Code 3 not detrimental to safety etc., and in effect with the rate of current changes to regs everybody will have to change their CU every 10 years or so!

Asked Certsure if they could help me with some arguments to go back to the insurance company - wasting my time with them!

Anyone got any 'nuggets'?

Have you addressed them?

No I haven't done anything so far - didn't see the need as only C3s

In which case that is the reply you need to give to the Insurance Company.

The way I see it, C3's are something only the client can decide on, not the sparky. However the insurance company may use the C3's to "get" the client to undertake said improvements!

so you compose a nice email and/or a leterheaded letter to the insurers telling them that you have addressed the issues and no further action is required under the rquirements of BS7671.

Just had a problem where insurance co wouldn't accept an eicr from me as a Napit bod only ECA/nic/elects so passed it to Napit technical who have sorted it out so I would suggest getting your scam to contact them. Plus you get something for your money then

Just had a problem where insurance co wouldn't accept an eicr from me as a Napit bod only ECA/nic/elects so passed it to Napit technical who have sorted it out so I would suggest getting your scam to contact them. Plus you get something for your money then

As mentioned previously tried my scam and they were useless! Not interested, was basically told better to make money by doing work than trying to educate!

Didn't see that bit sorry bud, I'd explain to the client that the changes aren't necessary in your opinion but they should be carried out to please the ins co give them a price and they either agree or let them take it up with their insurance.

Reply to EICR & Insurance Companies in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net