Discuss EICR, opinions please... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes and by TAKE ACCOUNT how do you think you are better off not going with the MI what makes you such a great expert that you could overrule a huge company who have all the testing facilities/labs and big law firms behind them should it go to court it beggers belief you dont follow them and not put yourselves at risk for no reason! So what "blatently wrong" MI have you seen many times and chosen to overrule care to share a few instances with the forum?
- as for people not fitting 3amp fuses in fans i am of the same opinion that it wont make much of a diference in a fault but MI state it and it cost a couple of quid to fit a euro plate with fan iso insert and fuse carrier so just do it to take away liability from yourself bk on the fan company is something did hapen!

So what "blatently wrong" MI have you seen many times and chosen to overrule care to share a few instances with the forum?

Well I haven't got photos as evidence, but I've come across an MI that stated the line of the item should be connected to the blue wire of the supply. That's probably the most mental. Seen stuff that is obviously class I but according to the MI didn't require an earth. Can't think off the top of my head of other examples, but it happens, and it happens quite a lot. Just because you have the impression the company is a big player with lots of facilities to get it right, doesn't mean they get it right, and especially doesn't mean their instructions should be followed blindly above the law* we adhere to in BS7671. Why did the IET change the wording of 134.1.1 is the question you've got to ask yourself.

*By law, it is tongue in cheek. Yes, I know it's not statutory and blah blah blah, but BS7671 is the law*book we all stick to in order to cover our rears.

ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS This appliance is manufactured with a green GROUND wire connected to the oven chassis. After making sure that the power has been turned off, connect the flexible conduit from the oven to the junction box using a U.L. listed conduit connector. Figures A and B and the instructions provided below present the most common way of connecting the ovens. Your local codes and ordinances, of course, take precedence to these instructions. Complete electrical connections according to local codes and ordinances. 3-WIRE BRANCH CIRCUIT Refer to Figure A, where local codes allow the connection of GROUND wire from the oven to the branch circuit NEUTRAL wire (grey or white colored wire): ¥ If local codes permit, connect the green Figure A Junction box Red wires White wires Bare or green wire Cable from oven GROUND wire from the oven and the white wire from the oven to the branch circuit NEUTRAL wire (grey or white colored wire). ¥ Connect the red and black leads from the oven to the corresponding leads in the junction box. Cable from power supply Grounded neutral Black wires U.L.-listed conduit connector

All this talk of manufacturers instructions and 3A fuses for fans - just now I had a look in my kitchen at the cooker hood and the ceiling fan in the middle of the room. There is a fused spur off kitchen 32A rfc that runs the ceiling fan - good start - but it's got a 13A fuse in it (never looked :pensive:) . And it gets better as cooker hood appears directly off the RFC wth no fuse I can see. I google-checked manuf fitting instructions and both have "use 3A fuse" statements. Fuse is already fixed, but my risk assessment says dinner comes first so the hood will have to wait.

Just google extractor fan fires, if you dont think these happen then your very much mistaken. Dont you think after a fire there will be a finger pointing someones way, if youve done all you can (goodworkmanship) and all youve been instructed (bs7671 & MI) then that finger wont be pointing at you! We will agree to disagree Hightower but others reading this may feel yes il fit a fan iso with inline fuse to cover their arse as you know if that fan burst into flames the manufacturer will be looking for get outs!

I really don't think anyone is saying they would disregard manufacturer's instructions regarding fusing.
However, I would disregard the instructions provided by Bosch (posted above) in regards to connecting the earth and neutral conductors together.
Though the instructions do state that local codes and ordinances take precedence over these instructions, which to my mind allows me to chuck the instructions in the bin and just comply with BS7671.

Reply to EICR, opinions please... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net